Just legalize marijuana and everything will be fine

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Whoops, since the Mexican drug cartels can't make enough of a profit from smuggling marijuana, heroin smuggling has increased 300% and methamphetamine 200%. Does the radical left want to legalize heroin now?

Whoops, since the Mexican drug cartels can't make enough of a profit from smuggling marijuana, heroin smuggling has increased 300% and methamphetamine 200%. Does the radical left want to legalize heroin now?

I guess the question I have for the radical right- why do you want to use government policies to enrich criminal organizations?

It's a conservative thing. Unless you want to say this guy was a radical leftist?

Writing in the National Review in 1996, Buckley made the case for legalization:

"A conservative should evaluate the practicality of a legal constriction, as for instance in those states whose statute books continue to outlaw sodomy, which interdiction is unenforceable, making the law nothing more than print-on-paper. I came to the conclusion that the so-called war against drugs was not working, that it would not work absent a change in the structure of the civil rights to which we are accustomed and to which we cling as a valuable part of our patrimony. And that therefore if that war against drugs is not working, we should look into what effects the war has, a canvass of the casualties consequent on its failure to work."

In that same article, Buckley expressed abhorrence at the degree to which drug war zealotry infected the criminal justice system:

"I have not spoken of the cost to our society of the astonishing legal weapons available now to policemen and prosecutors; of the penalty of forfeiture of one's home and property for violation of laws which, though designed to advance the war against drugs, could legally be used -- I am told by learned counsel -- as penalties for the neglect of one's pets. I leave it at this, that it is outrageous to live in a society whose laws tolerate sending young people to life in prison because they grew, or distributed, a dozen ounces of marijuana. I would hope that the good offices of your vital profession would mobilize at least to protest such excesses of wartime zeal, the legal equivalent of a My Lai massacre. And perhaps proceed to recommend the legalization of the sale of most drugs, except to minors."

Buckley's erudition, extensive vocabulary, and famously darting tongue, as well as his life-long commitment to conservative principles made him an iconic figure of the late 20th Century. His principled embrace of drug legalization made it all the easier for other conservatives to follow in his footsteps. Hopefully more will follow.

In Memoriam William F. Buckley Conservative Supporter of Drug Legalization StoptheDrugWar.org

Should legalize all illicit substances. Keeping any of them illegal only creates criminal enterprises who'll provide it. And argueing they're illegal due to safety concerns doesn't make sense as alcohol's legal while being objectively more dangerous both chemically and statistically.

Decriminalization for smaller amounts. Don't believe that "legalize" shit. Different outcomes.

If it twer good enough for great grandpa, it's good enough fer me.......

Give me one reason my friend that the cannabis plant should be illegal, I am under 5 posts on this site still so I cannot link an article but I urge you to research just exactly why it was made illegal and you'll find that it has more to do with business than it does the public's health and wellbeing

Podium of Pancakes

Glaucoma patients will finally stop feeling ostracized by a society overly-critical of any kind of narcotics-ingestion.

You know, Chinese emperors used to ingest opium in a ritual fashion.

If we legalize marijuana, we might learn some tidbits of 'culture coordination' from Amsterdam (Holland).

:afro:

Amsterdam

ca.jpg

charlotte's web....Marijuana stops child s severe seizures - CNN.com

it is sick for parents to have to move to states that allow medical treatment for their child..this strain has been developed for kids....low thc factor but for some reason helps their seizures....

chemo patients need thc therapy for nausea...the attitude of doctors now....if it works for you...then do it...

o yea it helps diabetics too

Deal with the matter openly and in truth. Corruption hides in the dark. It would quickly become clear just how guilty we all are and how much forgiveness is needed.
The drug problem is of our own making. Continuing to deal with it the way we do will continue to give the same results.

The reason the cartels exist in the 1st place is because marijuana was made illegal.

/thread
Cartels make most of their money off of heroin, meth and cocaine, not marijuana. Most of the marijuana in the US today is produced domestically. Legal Marijuana won't effect the drug cartels profit margin's significantly, and domestic producers will continue to produce marijuana, legally and illegally, as they do in Washington and Colorado.

legalize the other dope, too. It's none of your damned biz what other adults put into or take out of their own bodies. Only pos's claim otherwise

The reason the cartels exist in the 1st place is because marijuana was made illegal.

/thread
Cartels make most of their money off of heroin, meth and cocaine, not marijuana. Most of the marijuana in the US today is produced domestically. Legal Marijuana won't effect the drug cartels profit margin's significantly, and domestic producers will continue to produce marijuana, legally and illegally, as they do in Washington and Colorado.
Legal Pot in the US Is Crippling Mexican Cartels VICE News

/thread
K
New cartel arises from Mexico s assault on big drug lords - San Antonio Express-News

Like the Romans said, make something illegal and you drive it under ground where it is harder to control...

/thread
K
New cartel arises from Mexico s assault on big drug lords - San Antonio Express-News
What's your point? There is no mention of Marijuana in that article. It does however mention that this new Cartel has been able to grow because of the damage done to the other, previously more powerful cartels. Just a few months ago the most powerful cartel kingpin of all time was captured and arrested. That opened up a space for newcomers.

/thread
K
What's your point? There is no mention of Marijuana in that article. It does however mention that this new Cartel has been able to grow because of the damage done to the other, previously more powerful cartels. Just a few months ago the most powerful cartel kingpin of all time was captured and arrested. That opened up a space for newcomers.
This is not true: cartels exist in the 1st place is because marijuana was made illegal.

Further, legalizing it has changed nothing. The most powerful cartel of all time? Name changes and a gap just allowed someone that was competing to step in to fill the spot.

Forum List

Back