Just Joined Gun Owners Of America...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
I’m A Long-Time Member Of The NRA... been a member since before some of y’all were born...

I usually like how the NRA works to further the cause of gun-owners’ rights and the Second Amendment... also very much like the NRA’s gun-safety programs and promotions...

but it really pissed me off the way they remained silent for days after the Connecticut tragedy...

fuckin’ pussies...

but Gun Owners of America wasn’t afraid to step up to the plate and speak out for gun-owners’ rights, even at this difficult time...

so I went to their website and signed up... and when I paid for my membership, I also gave a li’l bit extra to help ‘em out...

Gun Owners of America

btw... for the record, I don’t own a gun... never have... probably never will...

but I firmly believe that, in order to guarantee our freedom and the freedom of coming generations, and in order for us and our progeny to be able to be secure in our homes, it’s critically important for law-abiding citizens to retain access to the latest technology in small-arms weaponry...

Last edited:
I have no issue with people having a gun to protect their homes. But you don't need a gun that fires a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds.
What is wrong with a gun that fires one bullet at a time?

NRA released this limp response... FOUR FUCKIN' DAYS AFTER THE EVENT...

http://home.nra.org/pdf/StatementAdvisory.pdf

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads,
sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the
horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time
for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never
happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area
on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

'course, I'd hate to have to have been the one to come up with the press release...

but this wording is just plain stupid and insulting to everyone on both sides of the issue:

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never
happens again.

I have no issue with people having a gun to protect their homes. But you don't need a gun that fires a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds.

ummm... while the guns available can be fired fairly quickly, we don't have guns that fire a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds...

and all of the guns that are legally available fire only one bullet at a time... i.e., one bullet per trigger pull...

Last edited:

ummm... while the guns available can be fired fairly quickly, we don't have guns that fire a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds...

and all of the guns that are legally available fire only one bullet at a time... i.e., one bullet per trigger pull...

Then how did Lanza get his hands on an assault rifle that does fire many bullets?

Then how did Lanza get his hands on an assault rifle that does fire many bullets?

contrary to what you might have been led to believe, the rifle he used required a trigger pull for each bullet... i.e., it was not an automatic weapon, aka "machine gun"...

btw, the pair of handguns he carried could have fired bullets just as fast as the rifle he used... i.e., he could have done just as much damage with the handguns if he had chosen to use them instead of the "assault rifle"...

contrary to what you might have been led to believe, the rifle he used required a trigger pull for each bullet... i.e., it was not an automatic weapon, aka "machine gun"...

btw, the pair of handguns he carried could have fired bullets just as fast as the rifle he used... i.e., he could have done just as much damage with the handguns if he had chosen to use them instead of the "assault rifle"...

The media here reports that an assault rifle was used, a gun that can fire multiple rounds per second.

I don't know much about guns (obviously) I am just going by what the media has reported, and that is that an AR-15 style assault rifle was used...

The media here reports that an assault rifle was used, a gun that can fire multiple rounds per second.

I don't know much about guns (obviously) I am just going by what the media has reported, and that is that an AR-15 style assault rifle was used...

the term "assault rifle" is often used by the media in an apparent attempt to sensationalize whatever they're talking about...

it's a scary-sounding term that was invented by the media to describe a "scary-looking" rifle that functionally is no different than any other rifle...

It's also been my experience that, when the talk turns to guns, the media exhibits an incredible amount of ignorance on the subject...

with the guy pulling the trigger over and over again without pausing, I'd expect his rate of fire would probably be about two rounds per second...

and, as I mentioned, the handguns he carried could fire just as fast as the rifle...

Last edited:

THIS is why people who support gun ownership have issues with people who want to limit said rights more than they are now. There is a general lack of knowledge regarding the very items they are so afraid of.

The shooter used a semi-automatic rifle, that only looks like a fully automatic one. He had to pull the trigger each time a round went off.

There are several forms of ammunition load. Semi automatics take a round into the chamber "automatically" after each shot. A bolt action or lever action rifle requires a further action to "chamber" the round to it can be shot. A revolver uses a cylinder to place the round in line with the gun barrel, and can require another action to ready the shot, or not. (single action vs. double action). A pump action is similar to bolt/lever where a second action is required to chamber a round (pump).

You can't buy a gun as you describe legally. semi is 1 shot 1 trigger pull.

So you are ok with a gun for protection,but only is its a single shot? but the intruder has a semi?? or a pump shot gun??

Just want to second martybegan's post and issue props to both he and bayoubill in how they responded to Noomi's posts. They didn't jump all over her for being misinformed by the media and others about the alleged use of an assault or automatic weapon in the Newtown shootings. Instead they took the time to explain the facts, gun terminology, etc. Now perhaps Noomi and others have both a better understanding of the terms and renewed awareness that what one often reads or hears, especially from media, ain't necessarily always so.

Obviously. You shouldn't fill your brain up with crap from the media. I use a .44 revolver that holds 6 rounds, that I empty on target in 2.6 seconds. I also use an AR-15 for assaulting coyotes and prairie dogs.

Obviously. You shouldn't fill your brain up with crap from the media. I use a .44 revolver that holds 6 rounds, that I empty on target in 2.6 seconds. I also use an AR-15 for assaulting coyotes and prairie dogs.

Out of curiosity, do you use speed loaders for the revolver, and what time does it take you from opening the cylinder to being ready for another shot?

Because the criminal who is trying to kill or rob you or both in your home might have a gun that shoots many rounds at a time.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
NRA released this limp response... FOUR FUCKIN' DAYS AFTER THE EVENT...

http://home.nra.org/pdf/StatementAdvisory.pdf

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads,
sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the
horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time
for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area
on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

'course, I'd hate to have to have been the one to come up with the press release...

but this wording is just plain stupid and insulting to everyone on both sides of the issue:

happens again.

I understand their reasons and I support the GOA's decision not to remian quiet. that is why I'm going to join both.

I have a M-1 Garand, it's called an Assault Rifle. I can shoot a 6 round clip as fast as I can pull the trigger 6 times. Probably in about 3 or 4 seconds. After about 4-5 clips of that I wouldn't be able to use my right arm the next day.

Because law abiding citizens are then forced into a disadvantageous situation against crazy motherfuckers and dumb criminal thugs that will always have whatever firearms, magazines and/or ammunition you intend to outlaw. Always.

As I teenager, we had two guys break into my family's home. Both were armed with pistols with large capacity magazines and as I later learned, they had a long history of home invasions/burglaries. They assumed no one was home. Mom's car was in the shop and Dad was away on business. I confronted them with a .223 Ruger mini 14 with a 20 round magazine. The first bullet I put into the couch. That got their attention while I held them on the ground until the police arrived to arrest them.

How would my situation worked out with a firearm capable of firing only one bullet at a time? Would I be expected to kill one of them and fist fight the other armed intruder? What about my little sister sleeping upstairs at the time? How would a one bullet firearm have helped her?

THIS is why people who support gun ownership have issues with people who want to limit said rights more than they are now. There is a general lack of knowledge regarding the very items they are so afraid of.

The shooter used a semi-automatic rifle, that only looks like a fully automatic one. He had to pull the trigger each time a round went off.

There are several forms of ammunition load. Semi automatics take a round into the chamber "automatically" after each shot. A bolt action or lever action rifle requires a further action to "chamber" the round to it can be shot. A revolver uses a cylinder to place the round in line with the gun barrel, and can require another action to ready the shot, or not. (single action vs. double action). A pump action is similar to bolt/lever where a second action is required to chamber a round (pump).
What's your opinion on limiting the size of magazines to ten or twelve rounds?

Then go learn and stop regurgitating nonsense. it's part of the problem here with this issue. Too many morons spouting off at the mouth about things they do not understand or have accurate information on.

Forum List

Back