Just Joined Gun Owners Of America...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bayoubill, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I’m A Long-Time Member Of The NRA... been a member since before some of y’all were born...

I usually like how the NRA works to further the cause of gun-owners’ rights and the Second Amendment... also very much like the NRA’s gun-safety programs and promotions...

but it really pissed me off the way they remained silent for days after the Connecticut tragedy...

fuckin’ pussies...

but Gun Owners of America wasn’t afraid to step up to the plate and speak out for gun-owners’ rights, even at this difficult time...

so I went to their website and signed up... and when I paid for my membership, I also gave a li’l bit extra to help ‘em out...

Gun Owners of America

btw... for the record, I don’t own a gun... never have... probably never will...

but I firmly believe that, in order to guarantee our freedom and the freedom of coming generations, and in order for us and our progeny to be able to be secure in our homes, it’s critically important for law-abiding citizens to retain access to the latest technology in small-arms weaponry...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Noomi

Noomi Ninja Kicker Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,878
    I have no issue with people having a gun to protect their homes. But you don't need a gun that fires a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds.
    What is wrong with a gun that fires one bullet at a time?

3. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    NRA released this limp response... FOUR FUCKIN' DAYS AFTER THE EVENT...

http://home.nra.org/pdf/StatementAdvisory.pdf

'course, I'd hate to have to have been the one to come up with the press release...

but this wording is just plain stupid and insulting to everyone on both sides of the issue:

4. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    ummm... while the guns available can be fired fairly quickly, we don't have guns that fire a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds...

and all of the guns that are legally available fire only one bullet at a time... i.e., one bullet per trigger pull...

5. Noomi

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,878
    Then how did Lanza get his hands on an assault rifle that does fire many bullets?

6. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    contrary to what you might have been led to believe, the rifle he used required a trigger pull for each bullet... i.e., it was not an automatic weapon, aka "machine gun"...

btw, the pair of handguns he carried could have fired bullets just as fast as the rifle he used... i.e., he could have done just as much damage with the handguns if he had chosen to use them instead of the "assault rifle"...

7. Noomi

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,878
    The media here reports that an assault rifle was used, a gun that can fire multiple rounds per second.

I don't know much about guns (obviously) I am just going by what the media has reported, and that is that an AR-15 style assault rifle was used...

8. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    the term "assault rifle" is often used by the media in an apparent attempt to sensationalize whatever they're talking about...

it's a scary-sounding term that was invented by the media to describe a "scary-looking" rifle that functionally is no different than any other rifle...

It's also been my experience that, when the talk turns to guns, the media exhibits an incredible amount of ignorance on the subject...

with the guy pulling the trigger over and over again without pausing, I'd expect his rate of fire would probably be about two rounds per second...

and, as I mentioned, the handguns he carried could fire just as fast as the rifle...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    [youtube]lJ5Pts9dUdA[/youtube]

Any weapon can be shot quickly.

10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,032
    THIS is why people who support gun ownership have issues with people who want to limit said rights more than they are now. There is a general lack of knowledge regarding the very items they are so afraid of.

The shooter used a semi-automatic rifle, that only looks like a fully automatic one. He had to pull the trigger each time a round went off.

There are several forms of ammunition load. Semi automatics take a round into the chamber "automatically" after each shot. A bolt action or lever action rifle requires a further action to "chamber" the round to it can be shot. A revolver uses a cylinder to place the round in line with the gun barrel, and can require another action to ready the shot, or not. (single action vs. double action). A pump action is similar to bolt/lever where a second action is required to chamber a round (pump).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2