Just Joined Gun Owners Of America...

I have no issue with people having a gun to protect their homes. But you don't need a gun that fires a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds.
What is wrong with a gun that fires one bullet at a time?

ummm... while the guns available can be fired fairly quickly, we don't have guns that fire a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds...

and all of the guns that are legally available fire only one bullet at a time... i.e., one bullet per trigger pull...

Then how did Lanza get his hands on an assault rifle that does fire many bullets?

He didn't you fucking moron.

Then how did Lanza get his hands on an assault rifle that does fire many bullets?

contrary to what you might have been led to believe, the rifle he used required a trigger pull for each bullet... i.e., it was not an automatic weapon, aka "machine gun"...

btw, the pair of handguns he carried could have fired bullets just as fast as the rifle he used... i.e., he could have done just as much damage with the handguns if he had chosen to use them instead of the "assault rifle"...

The media here reports that an assault rifle was used, a gun that can fire multiple rounds per second.

I don't know much about guns (obviously) I am just going by what the media has reported, and that is that an AR-15 style assault rifle was used...

An AR 15 is not an assault rifle

ummm... while the guns available can be fired fairly quickly, we don't have guns that fire a hundred rounds in a matter of seconds...

and all of the guns that are legally available fire only one bullet at a time... i.e., one bullet per trigger pull...

would you please read through the entire exchange before you put your asinine counter-productive cheap shots...? thanks...

The media here reports that an assault rifle was used, a gun that can fire multiple rounds per second.

I don't know much about guns (obviously) I am just going by what the media has reported, and that is that an AR-15 style assault rifle was used...

Obviously. You shouldn't fill your brain up with crap from the media. I use a .44 revolver that holds 6 rounds, that I empty on target in 2.6 seconds. I also use an AR-15 for assaulting coyotes and prairie dogs.

Out of curiosity, do you use speed loaders for the revolver, and what time does it take you from opening the cylinder to being ready for another shot?
It takes me less time to reload with a speed loader than it does with a magazine

would you please read through the entire exchange before you put your asinine counter-productive cheap shots...? thanks...

I just started reading the thread. and I know her history the topic has already been addressed in a number of threads with her. But she still keeps saying the same old shit.

I just started reading the thread. and I know her history the topic has already been addressed in a number of threads with her. But she still keeps saying the same old shit.

sigh... I thought I had cleared up Noomi's misconceptions about these things...

but I apparently failed... :-(

I just went and looked at her most recent posts...

and, for whatever reason, the information I offered to her didn't stick...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/268160-why-cant-we-be-like-the-aussies-3.html#post6526093

Last edited:
"Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg."

Why shouldn't gun owners face the same licensing requirements as drivers?

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg

well, for one thing, licensing means that the government would maintain a list of all law-abiding gun owners...

such lists have been used in other countries to facilitate the confiscation of guns from law-abiding gun owners...

"Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg."

well, for one thing, licensing means that the government would maintain a list of all law-abiding gun owners...

such lists have been used in other countries to facilitate the confiscation of guns from law-abiding gun owners...

And another thing. Vehicles are licensed by STATES, not the federal government. Biden can stick his gun grabbing commission up his ass.

Secondly, drivers do not have to register their vehicles or even have a driver's license if they never leave their own property. State licensing requirements are for driving on public roads, not on your own private property. Therefore, many states already license gun owners much as they license drivers by requiring conceal carry permits for firearms on pubic property, not private.

There are 300 million private guns in the US, many owned by law enforcement officers.
There are three times as many gun stores as supermarkets in this country.
Who is going to confiscate 300 million private guns?

There are 300 million private guns in the US, many owned by law enforcement officers.

Ask an Australian how it works...

And another thing. Vehicles are licensed by STATES, not the federal government. Biden can stick his gun grabbing commission up his ass.

Secondly, drivers do not have to register their vehicles or even have a driver's license if they never leave their own property. State licensing requirements are for driving on public roads, not on your own private property. Therefore, many states already license gun owners much as they license drivers by requiring conceal carry permits for firearms on pubic property, not private.
GI Joe is launching his assault on the White House a little early, but even he isn't arrogant enough to confiscate your guns.

"While motor-vehicle deaths dropped 22 percent from 2005 to 2010, gun fatalities are rising again after a low point in 2000, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend."

You make good points about public v private spaces, but I think we also have to factor in how many of those projected 33,000 gun deaths in 2015 will occur in private homes or public schools.

GI Joe is launching his assault on the White House a little early, but even he isn't arrogant enough to confiscate your guns.

"While motor-vehicle deaths dropped 22 percent from 2005 to 2010, gun fatalities are rising again after a low point in 2000, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend."

You make good points about public v private spaces, but I think we also have to factor in how many of those projected 33,000 gun deaths in 2015 will occur in private homes or public schools.

Traffic deaths are decreasing because of technological improvements in vehicles. Better air bags, fire resistant materials, improved impact zones, etc.

This has little to do with mass killings, which are also on the decrease, despite this latest tragedy.

Bottom line, no gun control law or licensing requirements will stop crazy motherfuckers and criminal thugs from using firearms in the commission of their crimes. Make sure you have superior firepower and know how to use it. Or, you can call 911 and hope for the best. Your choice.

I doubt if Australia has much to teach the US about gun violence:

"The (US Civil War) war produced about 1,030,000 casualties (3% of the population), including about 620,000 soldier deaths—two-thirds by disease, and 50,000 civilians.[211]

"Binghamton University historian J. David Hacker believes the number of soldier deaths was approximately 750,000, 20% higher than traditionally estimated, and possibly as high as 850,000.[212][213]

"The war accounted for roughly as many American deaths as all American deaths in other U.S. wars combined."

American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO, any attempt to confiscate US guns would produce the Second Civil War.

Traffic deaths are decreasing because of technological improvements in vehicles. Better air bags, fire resistant materials, improved impact zones, etc.

This has little to do with mass killings, which are also on the decrease, despite this latest tragedy.

Bottom line, no gun control law or licensing requirements will stop crazy motherfuckers and criminal thugs from using firearms in the commission of their crimes. Make sure you have superior firepower and know how to use it. Or, you can call 911 and hope for the best. Your choice.
If your expertise with superior firepower sends a bullet or two across the street and kills your neighbor, who's responsible?

If your expertise with superior firepower sends a bullet or two across the street and kills your neighbor, who's responsible?

I am. This is why you should always know what's behind your target. It's one of the basic rules of safety.

I don't see how this has anything to do with adding more useless laws and regulations that only helps to give an advantage to the bad guys.

sigh... I thought I had cleared up Noomi's misconceptions about these things...

but I apparently failed... :-(

I just went and looked at her most recent posts...

and, for whatever reason, the information I offered to her didn't stick...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/268160-why-cant-we-be-like-the-aussies-3.html#post6526093
See what I mean?

I am. This is why you should always know what's behind your target. It's one of the basic rules of safety.

I don't see how this has anything to do with adding more useless laws and regulations that only helps to give an advantage to the bad guys.

Nice way to put it. As we keep saying, the gun is a tool, the person who pulls the trigger is responsible for where it goes.

A smart gun owner who lives in an urban area would use a lower penetrating weapon for home defense, such as a shotgun or a handgun with hollow points. That being said there is no reason for denying an urban gun owner a semi automatic rifle.

"The (US Civil War) war produced about 1,030,000 casualties (3% of the population), including about 620,000 soldier deaths—two-thirds by disease, and 50,000 civilians.[211]

"Binghamton University historian J. David Hacker believes the number of soldier deaths was approximately 750,000, 20% higher than traditionally estimated, and possibly as high as 850,000.[212][213]

"The war accounted for roughly as many American deaths as all American deaths in other U.S. wars combined."

I was referring to the ease with which the Australian government (with a list of gun owners in hand) summarily confiscated all legally-purchased and registered semi-automatic rifles and pump-action shotguns...

Last edited:

I was referring to the ease with which the Australian government (with a list of gun owners in hand) summarily confiscated all legally-purchased and registered semi-automatic rifles and pump-action shotguns...
I don't think "ease" would apply in the US.
Private gun ownership is woven into the fabric of this country by the Second Amendment.
I don't believe Australia's Constitution provides the same protections.
Any government that tried to confiscate all semi-automatic rifles and pump action shotguns in this country would vanish from the page of time faster than Bibi peddling his bicycle through Tehran.
IMHO, the guns are here; they are not going anywhere, we are going to have to learn to live (and die) with that fact.

"Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.

"At the same time, violent crime and murder rates have fallen in the U.S., said Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore.

"Homicides may be up this year, though the murder rate from 2006 to 2011 fell 19 percent, to 4.7 for every 100,000 people, Webster said in an e-mail..."

"“We haven’t had a year like 2012 for mass shootings before, with each one being more disturbing than the last,' Webster said. 'It’s harder to chalk this up to random acts than to flaws in our gun laws.'”

Forum List

Back