Jury awards record $24.3 million to girl run over by dad's truck

Utter stupidity...

which part?

All of it.
1) It now sets a precedent that, although Allie and Existed are probably joking, for others to do the same
2) The judicial system should be about justice. There is nothing justified about a company having to pay for one of its employees stupidity.
3) In saying the above, unless the employer knew that the father was taking the daughter, then the responsibility lies with the father alone. It is called "taking responsibility for one's actions'. Anything less is just a cop out.
4) The jury should have been told that the victim's father was the truck driver. It is an absolute relevant fact in the case.
point 3 i agree with.....if it was a legitimite accident ok ....but i agree with the Doc....

which part?

All of it.
1) It now sets a precedent that, although Allie and Existed are probably joking, for others to do the same
2) The judicial system should be about justice. There is nothing justified about a company having to pay for one of its employees stupidity.
3) In saying the above, unless the employer knew that the father was taking the daughter, then the responsibility lies with the father alone. It is called "taking responsibility for one's actions'. Anything less is just a cop out.
4) The jury should have been told that the victim's father was the truck driver. It is an absolute relevant fact in the case.
The man who ran her over may have also been her father but when he ran her over he was on the job and an employer is responsible for the negligence of employees while they are operating company equipment.

If she had been run over by an employee of the company who was unrelated to her, would you still claim the company was not responsible?
well shit here lies another good point.....

Not knowing where you live, I am unable to compare. I do know that the term, "frivolous lawsuits" is a highly subjective one and I also know that the term is most closely associated with conservatives touting "tort reform" - which is conservative code for freeing Big Business (in this case, the medical industry) from responsibility for its negligence at the expense of the individual.

Now, having said that, I will readily admit that there are indeed such things as frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasing lawyers. I will further agree with you, that both are a pox on our society and should be ferreted out and corrected whenever and wherever possible.

However, I do not think that "frivolous lawsuits" are responsible for a significant amount of national, medical costs. I have heard a figure of as little as 2% or less.

I know that trial lawyers, in general, perform valuable and honorable service in the prosecution of civil (and criminal) litigation and I submit that whenever a trial lawyer is paid a fee at the conclusion of a case, it is almost always well earned.

To answer your concluding question, yes, I am an attorney.

are you sure you dont work for George Steinbrenner?....

Not knowing where you live, I am unable to compare. I do know that the term, "frivolous lawsuits" is a highly subjective one and I also know that the term is most closely associated with conservatives touting "tort reform" - which is conservative code for freeing Big Business (in this case, the medical industry) from responsibility for its negligence at the expense of the individual.

Now, having said that, I will readily admit that there are indeed such things as frivolous lawsuits and ambulance chasing lawyers. I will further agree with you, that both are a pox on our society and should be ferreted out and corrected whenever and wherever possible.

However, I do not think that "frivolous lawsuits" are responsible for a significant amount of national, medical costs. I have heard a figure of as little as 2% or less.

I know that trial lawyers, in general, perform valuable and honorable service in the prosecution of civil (and criminal) litigation and I submit that whenever a trial lawyer is paid a fee at the conclusion of a case, it is almost always well earned.

To answer your concluding question, yes, I am an attorney.

are you sure you dont work for George Steinbrenner?....

I USED to work for George Steinbrenner. But I decided to quit after driving the World Series trophy around the parking lot behind my car and intentionally spilling catsup all over Babe Ruth's jersey failed to motivate that idiot to fire me.

An Oregon girl whose truck-driver father accidentally ran her over with his big rig has won $24.3 million in damages from the Portland company that a Sacramento judge found legally responsible for her injuries.

The personal-injury award handed down by a Superior Court jury last Friday to Diana Yuleidy Loza-Jimenez is the largest in Sacramento County history, according to the local bar association.

In a court-trial decision returned Dec. 14, Judge David W. Abbott said the firm that hired Simon Loza Mejia, Freeway Transport Inc., was liable for the girl's injuries.

Before the damages phase of the trial, the judge ruled from the bench to exclude the jury from knowing it was the girl's father who accidentally drove over her. The plaintiff's lawyers argued it would have unduly prejudiced the panel.

Buccola, a veteran Sacramento trial lawyer who in 1998 won a $9.3 million award for a client that stood until last Friday as the local personal injury record, said Monday the father-daughter relationship was "legally irrelevant."

In a pre-trial brief filed last year, the defense lawyers said Loza-Jimenez was not a member of the general public eligible for protection under interstate transport regulations because her father took her along for the trip without Freeway Transport's knowledge.
Sacramento jury awards record $24.3 million to girl run over by dad's truck - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Sad story but egadz. The guy misuses the company truck; injures his own daughter; and is awarded $24.3 million.

I think the jury should have been told the entire story. Comments?
He wasn't awarded the money, his daughter was.

You and Jillian are hilarious. Who EXACTLY do you think will have control of and spend said money till she is 18?

As the money is intended to compensate her for permanent disabilities that will afffect her her entire life I'm sure safeguards have been put in place so that it can't be misused.
There is no reason to believe that her parents won't do what is best for her future. To deny this child her right to compensation because her father might have some control over how it is spent would be completely misguided.

The company should sue her dad for $24.3 million for improper and dangerous use of company equipment.

james-joyce-this-this-and-this1.jpg

And as an added benefit, still no legal reason to disclose that the man is the girls father!

Sad story but egadz. The guy misuses the company truck; injures his own daughter; and is awarded $24.3 million.

I think the jury should have been told the entire story. Comments?

the guy wasn't awarded the money. his daughter was. and the jury shouldn't have known the father injured the girl because like you, they wouldn't have compensated her fairly for her injuries.

Exactly.
Scary how Americans question the jury system, the very foundation of this country.

I bet the company has no more than 1 million in coverage. The father is liable for the rest.

Forum List

Back