Judge rules transgender people are protected, keeps hold on troop ban

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Good news.

A federal judge in Washington ordered Friday that a halt to President Trump's transgender troop ban remain in place, saying that the government must prove its order "was sincerely motivated by compelling interests, rather than by prejudice or stereotype."

Why it matters: In addition to keeping its injunction in place, the judge overseeing the case said that transgender people represent a "protected class" and, as such, that President Trump's ban will have to meet the legal standard known as "strict scrutiny."

Good news.

A federal judge in Washington ordered Friday that a halt to President Trump's transgender troop ban remain in place, saying that the government must prove its order "was sincerely motivated by compelling interests, rather than by prejudice or stereotype."

Why it matters: In addition to keeping its injunction in place, the judge overseeing the case said that transgender people represent a "protected class" and, as such, that President Trump's ban will have to meet the legal standard known as "strict scrutiny."

Judge is wrong

-Geaux

Protected classes are unconstitutional.

Since when? the concept covers everyone and his or her immutable characteristics. Doesn't everyone have a biological sex, age, race, ethnic background, and although it is just now being recognized, a sexual orientation. The only covered characteristic that one is not born with is religion, which is chosen and changeable at will.

Protected classes are unconstitutional.

Since when? the concept covers everyone and his or her immutable characteristics. Doesn't everyone have a biological sex, age, race, ethnic background, and although it is just now being recognized, a sexual orientation. The only covered characteristic that one is not born with is religion, which is chosen and changeable at will.

14th Amendment, Sec. 1. Arbitrary designation of a "protected class" elevates the status of members of that designated class above that of non-members.

The SCOTUS erred in permitting them. Eventually a case will arise to cause the Court to revisit the decision.

Well, so long as they are following the same rules as everyone else and not asking for any special treatment, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to join the military, as long as they pass the psychological/physical requirements.

Well, so long as they are following the same rules as everyone else and not asking for any special treatment, then I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to join the military, as long as they pass the psychological/physical requirements.

Whether one cares to admit it or not, it affects troop cohesiveness if nothing else.

Whether one cares to admit it or not, it affects troop cohesiveness if nothing else.
For bigots, yes.

For bigots, yes.

What bigots? I think it is normal for a person to feel discomfort around a person who is really a man but dresses like a woman. That is something that most people cannot relate to and don't really want to be exposed to. It's as simple as that.

I agree wholeheartedly; however, how does someone do that while transitioning from one sex to another? How does someone that wants perfectly healthy body parts mutilated pass a psychological exam?

I agree wholeheartedly; however, how does someone do that while transitioning from one sex to another? How does someone that wants perfectly healthy body parts mutilated pass a psychological exam?

I have no clue, but there have apparently been transgender soldiers who were not terrible soldiers, at least that is what I am told. I have no first hand experience in any of this though.

For bigots, yes.

You can by law force association in the military, but you cannot force attachment. Bigotry or not, that sentiment won't change.

Well, we all have our own thoughts and ideas based on our own experiences and lives. I certainly don't agree with the leftists with what they would consider "normal." My idea of normal and their ideas of normal are two completely different things, I suppose.

I have no clue, but there have apparently been transgender soldiers who were not terrible soldiers, at least that is what I am told. I have no first hand experience in any of this though.
The soldiers that maintained their original biological sex as soldiers that perhaps transitioned later.

They must pass a psychological exam prior to surgery.

They must pass a psychological exam prior to surgery.

Do you think it is normal or healthy for a man to think he is a woman or to want to dress as or be a woman?

Forum List

Back