Interesting...
Judge: Apple must help US hack San Bernardino killer's phone
e151e5.gif
AA42JYZ.img

Associated Press
By TAMI ABDOLLAH and ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press
1 hr ago

BBnP7fN.img

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. magistrate ordered Apple Inc. on Tuesday to help the Obama administration hack into an encrypted iPhone belonging to one of the shooters in the December attack in San Bernardino, California, in a first-of-its-kind ruling that pits digital privacy against national security interests.

The ruling by Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym, a former federal prosecutor, requires Apple to supply highly specialized software the FBI can load onto the county-owned work iPhone to bypass a self-destruct feature, which erases the phone's data after too many unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. The FBI wants to be able to try different combinations in rapid sequence until it finds the right one.

The decision gives the Justice Department a significant victory in an entrenched technology policy battle, as more-powerful encryption services threaten the ability of federal agents to uncover important evidence in criminal or terrorism cases. The Obama administration, which has embraced stronger encryption as a way to keep consumers safe on the Internet, had struggled to find a compelling example to make its case.

The ruling Tuesday tied the problem to the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 people in a Dec. 2 shooting at a holiday luncheon for Farook's co-workers. The couple later died in a gun battle with police.

Federal prosecutors told the judge in a court application Tuesday that they can't access a work phone used by Syed Farook because they don't know his passcode and Apple has not cooperated. Under U.S. law, a work phone is generally the property of a person's employer. The judge told Apple to provide an estimate of its cost to comply with her order, suggesting that the government will be expected to pay for the work.

"It is a big problem for law enforcement armed with a search warrant when you find a device that can't be opened even when a judge says there's probable cause to open it," Comey said. "It affects our counterterrorism work. San Bernardino, a very important investigation to us, we still have one of those killers' phones that we have not been able to open, and it's been over two months and we're still working on it."

Judge: Apple must help US hack San Bernardino killer's phone

How about we find a presidential candidate that will repeal the NDAA and the patriot act first?

The U.S. doesn't have anyone who can hack the phone without Apple's help? Fuckin' a...

These same morons built a fantastic Obamacare website that didn't work for a year- and it only cost about $1 billion.....

:rofl:
To be fair, the ACA web-site was whored out to a Canadian MBA who off-shored it to India's Best & Brightest and...well, you know the rest.

The U.S. doesn't have anyone who can hack the phone without Apple's help? Fuckin' a...

These same morons built a fantastic Obamacare website that didn't work for a year- and it only cost about $1 billion.....

:rofl:
To be fair, the ACA web-site was whored out to a Canadian MBA who off-shored it to India's Best & Brightest and...well, you know the rest.

It was still a "US Government" responsibility. They'd fuck up a wet dream.....

I think I smell the stench of a wedge issue here.

I'm pretty sure apple, if given the phone, would happily make available to whatever extent is possible, the data on that phone for law enforcement to review at their leisure. And I'm ok with that.

Unfortunately and I suspect that's not what law enforcement wants. Law enforcement wants apple to give them the technology to open every iphone. Not just the terrorist iphone.

And so If that's the case, I'm on apples side.

I'm pretty sure apple, if given the phone, would happily make available to whatever extent is possible, the data on that phone for law enforcement to review at their leisure. And I'm ok with that.

Unfortunately and I suspect that's not what law enforcement wants. Law enforcement wants apple to give them the technology to open every iphone. Not just the terrorist iphone.

We all know about your infantile "suspicions".
The Government is required to go before a Federal judge and get a ruling to mine the data in private business's or individual's cell phone, computer etc. in the interest of national security on a case by case bases.
The legal precedent was established decades ago.

I have no issue with a judge ordering Apple to open the phone for the government (which I believe they did?). But Apple should not be required to give over any technology.

The Government is required to go before a Federal judge and get a ruling to mine the data in private business's or individual's cell phone, computer etc. in the interest of national security on a case by case bases.

Said the full blown idiot.

Your reply ignores everything in my comment. In it's entirety. So get back to me when you wise up.If it even possible.

Your reply ignores everything in my comment. In it's entirety. So get back to me when you wise up.If it even possible.
YOUR WORDS! "Unfortunately and I suspect that's not what law enforcement wants. Law enforcement wants apple to give them the technology to open every iphone. Not just the terrorist iphone."
You stupid creep.
I responded by saying LE/Government are not legally able to make Apple "give up the technology to open every phone".
LE/Government must convince a Federal judge the data could bevital to national security.
You childess paranoia is just that. Wise up asshole.

Last edited:

YOUR WORDS! "Unfortunately and I suspect that's not what law enforcement wants. Law enforcement wants apple to give them the technology to open every iphone. Not just the terrorist iphone."
You stupid creep.
I responded by saying LE/Government are not legally able to make Apple "give up the technology to open every phone".
LE/Government must convince a Federal judge the data could bevital to national security.
You childess paranoia is just that. Wise up asshole.

Dear disgusting sack of fucking shit

Bugger off.

Yup,definitely that wedge issue I mentioned.

"While we believe the FBI’s intentions are good, it would be wrong for the government to force us to build a backdoor into our products," Apple Inc. CEO Tim Cook said in a statement to customers.

Well the ruling, if it stands, allows the government to tell private biz what to do and when to do it.

for our own good.

don't ask and pay for Apples help, force them

Forum List

Back