Juan Williams Has His Say

Poor Juan. Oh, boo fucking hoo.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: save it cupcake, you've already lost the battle. The sympathy is clearly with Juan. You go over and read some of the comments left at NPR? They're scratching thier heads now wishing for a "do over."

Poor Juan. Oh, boo fucking hoo.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: save it cupcake, you've already lost the battle. The sympathy is clearly with Juan. You go over and read some of the comments left at NPR? They're scratching thier heads now wishing for a "do over."
How many did you make under how many different screen names?

:lol:

Come on, don't lead people to think that you're in denial over this fiasco.

So now we decide legal or constitutional questions by facebook majority? Good to know.

So now we decide legal or constitutional questions by facebook majority? Good to know.

Dear, you're going off the rails. My point is not to pretend that there is just a small minority (no pun intended) supporting Williams.

My "outrage" is on my own behalf. At Williams, for attempting to whittle down the freedoms of my fellow citizens and for reinforcing the hatred so many now suffer from. At Fox News, for aiding and abetting this obvious publicity stunt. At public figures like Sarah Palin, for spreading misinformation about the First Amendment and seeking to shutter a media outlet in a fit of misplaced pique.

I am very sorry to hear some people you know IRL are offended by my POV, but that does not alter it.

So, in fact, you prefer to be offended on behalf of people who are not offended and did not find Williams comments to be offensive or hateful. That makes you kind of stupid, in my opinion.

I dislike this attitude of labeling anything you disagree with as 'hate speech', because it trivializes 'hate'. Just like labeling people who dislike Obama as 'racists' trivializes racism.

Mebbe if we weren't experiencing an uptick in hate crimes against Muslim Americans, this would concern me less. As for whether Muslim Americans are offended (I assume the people you know who are Muslims are UK-ers), mebbe check out the comments on a site like this one...

Islamophobia Today eNewspaper

This irrational dislike you seem to have for any media report and the value you place on your personal experience might just be skewing your POV, CG...especially since you do not live in the US atm.

Dear, you're going off the rails. My point is not to pretend that there is just a small minority (no pun intended) supporting Williams.

Sherry, we live in a constitutional democracy, agreed? Meaning, the rule of law sometimes protects the unpopular minority, agreed? And that a rule of law is still applicable even when applying it might lead to a result that is unpopular with many or most, agreed?

If NPR's actions were legal, they do not morph into something less because "many" people shout them down.

I see, you want to shout down Juan Williams, but you won't permit a rebuke of NPR.

Actually, I think this Williams episode has allowed the public one of the most interesting convos on First Amendment law we have had in ages, Revere. I am most anxious to hear why you feel anyone -- least of all me -- has "shouted Juan Williams down"?

Have I called for his arrest?

Have I spoken out against his new show on Fox News?

Have I suggested anyone sue him for what he said?

How, exactly, do you feel Williams' First Amendment rights have been impaired?

My "outrage" is on my own behalf. At Williams, for attempting to whittle down the freedoms of my fellow citizens and for reinforcing the hatred so many now suffer from. At Fox News, for aiding and abetting this obvious publicity stunt. At public figures like Sarah Palin, for spreading misinformation about the First Amendment and seeking to shutter a media outlet in a fit of misplaced pique.

I am very sorry to hear some people you know IRL are offended by my POV, but that does not alter it.

So, in fact, you prefer to be offended on behalf of people who are not offended and did not find Williams comments to be offensive or hateful. That makes you kind of stupid, in my opinion.

I dislike this attitude of labeling anything you disagree with as 'hate speech', because it trivializes 'hate'. Just like labeling people who dislike Obama as 'racists' trivializes racism.

Mebbe if we weren't experiencing an uptick in hate crimes against Muslim Americans, this would concern me less. As for whether Muslim Americans are offended (I assume the people you know who are Muslims are UK-ers), mebbe check out the comments on a site like this one...

Islamophobia Today eNewspaper

This irrational dislike you seem to have for any media report and the value you place on your personal experience might just be skewing your POV, CG...especially since you do not live in the US atm.

Not for the first time, you 'assume' wrong. Most of the Muslims I know are American. Some are Brit. You'll forgive me if I don't waste my time 'checking out' comments on sites like 'Islamophobiatoday'..... I don't waste my time on blatantly one sided sites.

My dislike of the media is not irrational, Maddie. It's based on my own experience - I work with the fucking media every damned day. I know how they operate. I suspect my knowledge of the media is far, far, FAR better than yours. Which explains why you accept everything you read and I question everything I read.

And, for the record, I'm also pretty fucking tired of people bitching because I choose to travel and live abroad. It's pathetic to claim that, because someone spends a considerable amount of time outside the US, they are somehow less knowledgeable about the country.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that distance gives me a better perspective of 'America' as a whole... because I see a different view of it. I also know where liberal policies will lead us as a country. Because they are based on European models - and guess what? They don't fucking work.

Sherry, we live in a constitutional democracy, agreed? Meaning, the rule of law sometimes protects the unpopular minority, agreed? And that a rule of law is still applicable even when applying it might lead to a result that is unpopular with many or most, agreed?

If NPR's actions were legal, they do not morph into something less because "many" people shout them down.

Madeline, the way you are steering the conversation to my point towards Ravi is sloppy and haphazard. Now as to my opinion about NPR's action, I already stated that in a previous post.

I do love the irony of so many of us on the right riding to defend Juan Williams, an actual liberal. Perhaps things aren't as you present?

He's only being defended by the right because he spoke kindly of Islamophobia. It was a sort of validation of the right's consensus belief that it's okay to distrust all Muslims.

The right isn't defending Williams' liberalism.

Exactly....it's about our right to freely express our beliefs without retribution. I respect people who don't fear to speak out, whatever side they are on. It's what has always made America so great. There is no speech worth protecting unless you will stand up and protect the most controversial voices. I think some people are really going over the top in their endeavors to paint Williams as a hateful bigot. As for NPR firing him, that is their right, but they are nuts to even try and pretend that they are being consistent in their reasoning. Because if that was the case, then a whole bunch of their other analysts should be let go for expressing "offensive" opinions. It's just a sad fucking day when journalists are so openly bullied to toe one political line.

I see, you want to shout down Juan Williams, but you won't permit a rebuke of NPR.

Actually, I think this Williams episode has allowed the public one of the most interesting convos on First Amendment law we have had in ages, Revere. I am most anxious to hear why you feel anyone -- least of all me -- has "shouted Juan Williams down"?

Have I called for his arrest?

Have I spoken out against his new show on Fox News?

Have I suggested anyone sue him for what he said?

How, exactly, do you feel Williams' First Amendment rights have been impaired?

No, you want to shut people up by calling them things designed to just make them go away.

The real loser is this is NPR.

Even a liberal wasn't left enough for them.

They were going into fundraising time.

I think some of their big radical left wing donors complained.

The hate speech is not what Williams said. He told an uncomfortable truth. People feel uneasy about folks who have an identity that is to angry at the rest of us.

I think Williams' statement is kind of silly, as the hijackers all wore western clothes during the tragedy, but he was explaining his emotional response to what he saw on a regular basis. I see this on a regular basis too. It gives me the same kind of itchy feeling that Williams says he has. I don't want to interfere with them. Neither does Williams. I don't want to restrict their rights. neither does Williams. Their rights are my rights, after all. What I do to them to restrict them will bite me twice as hard.

To fire Williams for his honesty is the worst kind of bad behavior.

I think the real reason they canned him is that liberal commentating is a whites only job, and they were looking for any kind of reason to push him. That the reason they gave was sto stupid and nonsensical shows the contempt they have for their audience, in addition to truth, honesty and dignity.

Forum List

Back