Juan Williams Has His Say

This is too funny. Up until this incident NPR was criticized ad nauseum by the rightwing propaganda machine for allegedly being too liberal,

and in the past, the mere fact that Juan Williams was there would have been part of the criticism, because,

he's a liberal.

I do love the irony of so many of us on the right riding to defend Juan Williams, an actual liberal. Perhaps things aren't as you present?

What irony? Because people have the capacity of thought that they can realize when something is wrong - and speak out on it?

perhaps it is time YOU realize that we don't all think in "red vs. blue" only. We think outside of just one political spectrum...you might try it.

Don't come after me like that unless you want a fight.

Commenting on the irony of many of us on the right defending Juan Williams in direct contrast to the vehement opposition to Juan Williams' comments in years past is valid. Save your "try it" for someone who never has.

This is too funny. Up until this incident NPR was criticized ad nauseum by the rightwing propaganda machine for allegedly being too liberal,

and in the past, the mere fact that Juan Williams was there would have been part of the criticism, because,

he's a liberal.

I do love the irony of so many of us on the right riding to defend Juan Williams, an actual liberal. Perhaps things aren't as you present?

He's only being defended by the right because he spoke kindly of Islamophobia. It was a sort of validation of the right's consensus belief that it's okay to distrust all Muslims.

The right isn't defending Williams' liberalism.

That's bullshit. He's being defended because NPR has joined Soros' war against Fox.

Williams' rights were not violated. He violated a contractual obligation to NPR, and lost his job for it.

Real world, eh?

NPR is an extension of the government and therefore has to live by those rules. Selective enforcement of those contractual (and subjective) obligations isn't allowed, neither is a government official practicing character assassination.

Juan Williams is an intelligent, sincere voice on Fox News. The reason the O'Reilly Factor is so successful is not just because of Bill O'Reilly. In fact, I don't agree with a lot of what he says. The success of the Factor is that O'Reilly manages to get guests and commentators from both sides who are reasonable and fair. I don't agree with hardly anything that Dr. Mark Lamont Hill has to say, but I appreciate his point of view. Not too many cable shows can do what O'Reilly does in my opinion.

The Factor made Juan Williams a household name and people like him. Likability trumps partisanship sometimes.

Likability? Try publicity stuntmanship.

Wasn't there just a derision of someone floating a conspiracy theory?

I know word for word what Williams had to say, iamwhatiseem. I judge it hateful to promote the idea that Muslim = terrorist.

In this country, at this time, what label could possibly be more repugnant?

Ok then your spin is not due to spite - but rather an incapacity to properly digest what someone was trying to say in context.
Juan was stating openly the same thing millions of people feel - that he gets nervous when a Muslim person gets on a flight. He was simply stating an emotion that millions feel - and cannot help to feel.
However his point (this is what we call context) was to not allow these irrational fears to get the best of us.
He was speaking in FAVOR of trusting Muslims - not the other way around Madeline.
You need to grow some antennae of your own. NPR is a cauldron of one sided thinking - broaden your mind beyond what they want you to think.

Here's a shocker...I have never heard a NPR broadcast. Not one. I have been getting their news feed on my facebook page for a few weeks, and I love their coverage of the arts, etc., but I am just not one to use the radio that-a-way. So I had no pre-conceived ideas about NPR when this occurred.

You can assign whatever value you wish to Williams' speech, as can I. It might aid you to know, NPR had over 300 viewer complaints about him before he was fired, and they had already overlooked his calling the First Lady "Stokley Carmichael in drag" on-air. Williams has never contended that he did not understand the NPR editorial standards, that they were vague or applied in an uneven fashion, etc. All he has done is bellyache that he was the only on-air black man NPR had (as if that matters on the fucking RADIO) and that he perceives his termination as "bigotry".

Williams can have his zany POVs. You have yours, I have mine and the NPR executives have theirs. Unless it can be shown the NPR executives acted in bad faith, they get to exercize reasonable discretion in carrying out their duties, in part because elsewise no one would be able to carry them out.

Williams' rights were not violated. He violated a contractual obligation to NPR, and lost his job for it.

Real world, eh?

I'm surprised it was only 300. CAIR have been trying to force Williams off NPR for a while, from what I see. And, 300 complaints do not equal 300 valid complaints. We've all see the rabid lefties coordinate campaigns against people. The only difference is that NPR just do what they are told by their puppet masters, while stations like Fox stand behind their employees.

Not one sentence that Williams spoke was 'hate speech'. To be honest, you have a habit of using the phrase 'hate speech' when what you mean is that you don't understand or don't agree with the person. Grow a brain.

What irony? Because people have the capacity of thought that they can realize when something is wrong - and speak out on it?

perhaps it is time YOU realize that we don't all think in "red vs. blue" only. We think outside of just one political spectrum...you might try it.

Don't come after me like that unless you want a fight.

Commenting on the irony of many of us on the right defending Juan Williams in direct contrast to the vehement opposition to Juan Williams' comments in years past is valid. Save your "try it" for someone who never has.

Whoops....sorry...I missread your statement - my fault entirely. :redface:

You know this story is closely related to the black women who lost her job awhile back when her comment was taken out of context.
It would be interesting to see how many of those on this board spoke up to defend her - but are not defending Juan.

You know this story is closely related to the black women who lost her job awhile back when her comment was taken out of context.
It would be interesting to see how many of those on this board spoke up to defend her - but are not defending Juan.

As well as those who defended her right from the start.

(Glenn Beck who?)
:eusa_whistle:

California Girl wrote:

I'm surprised it was only 300. CAIR have been trying to force Williams off NPR for a while, from what I see. And, 300 complaints do not equal 300 valid complaints. We've all see the rabid lefties coordinate campaigns against people. The only difference is that NPR just do what they are told by their puppet masters, while stations like Fox stand behind their employees.

Not one sentence that Williams spoke was 'hate speech'. To be honest, you have a habit of using the phrase 'hate speech' when what you mean is that you don't understand or don't agree with the person. Grow a brain.

Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just whistling in the dark? Do you think CAIR would organize a letter-writing campaign (which would be completely legal) merely because Williams insulted the First Lady?

I choose my words with care, and I stand by them. Williams' diatribe against Muslims Americans was "hate speech" and no amount of soft-peddling, back-peddling or whitewashing makes it less than "hate speech" IMO. He does not have to hang a Nazi flag in the background before his words qualify for condemnation, does he?

Grow a spine. If it is wrong to imply all white christian men are evil, it also and equally wrong to suggest all Muslim Americans are evil.

As well as those who defended her right from the start.

(Glenn Beck who?)
:eusa_whistle:

Who is this chick we're discussing?

he's a liberal.

He's only being defended by the right because he spoke kindly of Islamophobia. It was a sort of validation of the right's consensus belief that it's okay to distrust all Muslims.

The right isn't defending Williams' liberalism.

Exactly....it's about our right to freely express our beliefs without retribution. I respect people who don't fear to speak out, whatever side they are on. It's what has always made America so great. There is no speech worth protecting unless you will stand up and protect the most controversial voices. I think some people are really going over the top in their endeavors to paint Williams as a hateful bigot. As for NPR firing him, that is their right, but they are nuts to even try and pretend that they are being consistent in their reasoning. Because if that was the case, then a whole bunch of their other analysts should be let go for expressing "offensive" opinions. It's just a sad fucking day when journalists are so openly bullied to toe one political line.

California Girl wrote:

Do you have any evidence of this, or are you just whistling in the dark? Do you think CAIR would organize a letter-writing campaign (which would be completely legal) merely because Williams insulted the First Lady?

I choose my words with care, and I stand by them. Williams' diatribe against Muslims Americans was "hate speech" and no amount of soft-peddling, back-peddling or whitewashing makes it less than "hate speech" IMO. He does not have to hang a Nazi flag in the background before his words qualify for condemnation, does he?

Grow a spine. If it is wrong to imply all white christian men are evil, it also and equally wrong to suggest all Muslim Americans are evil.

Letter writing campaign? Seriously Maddie? Letter writing? It's not the 1980s anymore. We do email campaigns and organized boycotts.... kind of like the assholes at Color of Change have been trying with Glen Beck.

And. For the record - it was not a diatribe, it was a rational discussion in which he voiced an honest emotional response to a particular type of person. He went on to acknowledge that it is wrong to feel like that. Where the fuck is the 'hate'? Show me one sentence when, taken in context, is 'hate'.

And.... just so you know... I know Muslims who agree with Williams and who are offended that he has been fired. In fact, one of them remarked to me that people like you are offensive to them. He said people like you should stop defending Muslims for the sake of being politically correct. They do not need your 'outrage' on their behalf.

My "outrage" is on my own behalf. At Williams, for attempting to whittle down the freedoms of my fellow citizens and for reinforcing the hatred so many now suffer from. At Fox News, for aiding and abetting this obvious publicity stunt. At public figures like Sarah Palin, for spreading misinformation about the First Amendment and seeking to shutter a media outlet in a fit of misplaced pique.

I am very sorry to hear some people you know IRL are offended by my POV, but that does not alter it.

My "outrage" is on my own behalf. At Williams, for attempting to whittle down the freedoms of my fellow citizens and for reinforcing the hatred so many now suffer from. At Fox News, for aiding and abetting this obvious publicity stunt. At public figures like Sarah Palin, for spreading misinformation about the First Amendment and seeking to shutter a media outlet in a fit of misplaced pique.

I am very sorry to hear some people you know IRL are offended by my POV, but that does not alter it.

So, in fact, you prefer to be offended on behalf of people who are not offended and did not find Williams comments to be offensive or hateful. That makes you kind of stupid, in my opinion.

I dislike this attitude of labeling anything you disagree with as 'hate speech', because it trivializes 'hate'. Just like labeling people who dislike Obama as 'racists' trivializes racism.

Juan Williams doesn't whittle down any freedoms by speaking his mind.

If anyone committed a "stunt," it's NPR.

Some one on the TV said, and I agree "Juan Williams has done nothing wrong. A wrong has been done to JUan."

So, in fact, you prefer to be offended on behalf of people who are not offended and did not find Williams comments to be offensive or hateful. That makes you kind of stupid, in my opinion.

I dislike this attitude of labeling anything you disagree with as 'hate speech', because it trivializes 'hate'. Just like labeling people who dislike Obama as 'racists' trivializes racism.

It's intended to silence points of view one does not agree with.

Forum List

Back