Jon Stewart Takes on Betsy McCaughey and Death Panels

yeah Frank, you don't have to be terminal to get the info/consult now...........

so you're ELIGIBLE and it's paid for before you get sick and/or too incompetent to make informed decisions.

This is all moot, call your Senator. Tell them you want your parents to meet with a practitioner at least once every 5 years to discuss EOL options

Sorry to burst your bubble o' sarcasm, but my parents are all for it. They'll be thrilled.

yeah Frank, you don't have to be terminal to get the info/consult now...........

so you're ELIGIBLE and it's paid for before you get sick and/or too incompetent to make informed decisions.

This is all moot, call your Senator. Tell them you want your parents to meet with a practitioner at least once every 5 years to discuss EOL options

Sorry to burst your bubble o' sarcasm, but my parents are all for it. They'll be thrilled.

Indeed the Elderly are ALL FOR IT.....thus the example of the majority that was protesting, were YOUNG ADULTS? And why ARRP has lost 60,000 members in just 2 weeks. And why BAMY fears losing the 14% voter block of the elderly. If such language was SO IMPORTANT......and a principle part of any valid healthcare plan, it would not have been sold out by the Great "barry" in an attempt to clam down the elderly. "barry" is interested only in one thing.....what's best for "barry". Of course, "W" will be blamed for distorting the truth according to 'barry'......as soon a plausible plan for such finger pointing can be lain out. Clearly the BUCK STOPS with W.

Last edited:
People are quitting AARP because they've discovered that it's a front for United Healthcare ... just selling insurance.

Do you think his interview with Betsy the Shill was just a comic routine?

I thought it was amusing. Here we have a Democrat "Betsy the Shill" spreading lies about Obamacare and Stewart called her on it. Whether they planned on it being a comic routine or not, it most certainly ended up that way.
Betsy, a Democrat? .. God, you are nuts.

In 1997, though she had always voted Republican in presidential elections (voting successively for Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, and Dole), McCaughey officially became a Democrat.[13] McCaughey later announced her candidacy for the 1998 Democratic nomination for Governor.

Betsy McCaughey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was 12 years ago. Try to keep up.

I thought it was amusing. Here we have a Democrat "Betsy the Shill" spreading lies about Obamacare and Stewart called her on it. Whether they planned on it being a comic routine or not, it most certainly ended up that way.

In 1997, though she had always voted Republican in presidential elections (voting successively for Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush, and Dole), McCaughey officially became a Democrat.[13] McCaughey later announced her candidacy for the 1998 Democratic nomination for Governor.

Betsy McCaughey, Liar

"...Of course, she's been at this forever. In 1994, McCaughey worked for the Manhattan Institute, a right-wing think tank. And then she wrote a piece for The New Republic about how the Clinton health care plan would not allow people to buy health care coverage outside the government-run plan. This, obviously, was false. George Will picked up on it, adding nonsense about jail terms.

(Andrew Sullivan edited The New Republic from 1991 through 1996. In 1994, Sullivan was on a roll, publishing both the objectively racist pseudoscience of The Bell Curve and Betsy McCaughey's No Exit. This was all before Ruth Shalit and Stephen Glass. Current editor Franklin Foer apologized for the McCaughey piece shortly after assuming his position. Sullivan never really has. McCaughey's story was really more the fault of owner/"editor-in-chief" Marty Peretz, of course, because he had a psychotic hatred of Bill Clinton.)

So. After that one lying story full of lies made her famous, Al D'Amato told George Pataki to make her Lietenant Governor of New York. She did not get along with Pataki, and she famously, weirdly, stood up for the entirety of Pataki's 1996 State of the State address.

In 1997, Pataki dropped her from the ticket with a nasty public letter and she decided to become a Democrat in order to run against him. She ended up on the Liberal Party ticket, and lost, obviously, and then she moved to DC to work for the Hudson Institute, another right-wing think tank.

So she is a known liar and an elected Republican politician (her brief and bizarre stint as a vengeful Liberal party candidate aside), and here she is still forcing people to argue with chimerical fantasies instead of legitimate criticisms of progressive legislation.

We are hard pressed to come up any equivalent figure on "the left," who openly and intentionally lies in the service of her partisan arguments, and who continues to do so with relative impunity, in major publications, long after the lies are exposed.

More: Betsy McCaughey, Liar - Lies - Gawker

Yeah. Keep up.

Yeah but she's not a Democrat for the purposes of what she has been doing since the Clinton Era. Frankly, I think she is confused, and not a little confused, a lot confused. She's a think tanker that the right seemed to support. On Jon Stewart's show she advocated throwing more money at health care, which was probably more damning to her position on the right than her inability to express her views on HR3200.

Your own damn Wiki link xsited shows what she did immediately after losing her stint in 1997.

What did she do? Yup, next paragraph:

Worked for the Hudson Institute in 1998.

What is the Hudson Institute?

The Hudson Institute is an American, conservative, non-profit think tank founded in 1961, in Croton-on-Hudson, New York, by futurist, military strategist, and systems theorist Herman Kahn and his colleagues at the RAND Corporation.[2] It moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1984 and to Washington, D.C., in 2004.[3]

That poodle of yours don't even sniff, never mind hunt.

Betsy McCaughey, Liar

"...Of course, she's been at this forever. In 1994, McCaughey worked for the Manhattan Institute, a right-wing think tank. And then she wrote a piece for The New Republic about how the Clinton health care plan would not allow people to buy health care coverage outside the government-run plan. This, obviously, was false. George Will picked up on it, adding nonsense about jail terms.

(Andrew Sullivan edited The New Republic from 1991 through 1996. In 1994, Sullivan was on a roll, publishing both the objectively racist pseudoscience of The Bell Curve and Betsy McCaughey's No Exit. This was all before Ruth Shalit and Stephen Glass. Current editor Franklin Foer apologized for the McCaughey piece shortly after assuming his position. Sullivan never really has. McCaughey's story was really more the fault of owner/"editor-in-chief" Marty Peretz, of course, because he had a psychotic hatred of Bill Clinton.)

So. After that one lying story full of lies made her famous, Al D'Amato told George Pataki to make her Lietenant Governor of New York. She did not get along with Pataki, and she famously, weirdly, stood up for the entirety of Pataki's 1996 State of the State address.

In 1997, Pataki dropped her from the ticket with a nasty public letter and she decided to become a Democrat in order to run against him. She ended up on the Liberal Party ticket, and lost, obviously, and then she moved to DC to work for the Hudson Institute, another right-wing think tank.

So she is a known liar and an elected Republican politician (her brief and bizarre stint as a vengeful Liberal party candidate aside), and here she is still forcing people to argue with chimerical fantasies instead of legitimate criticisms of progressive legislation.

We are hard pressed to come up any equivalent figure on "the left," who openly and intentionally lies in the service of her partisan arguments, and who continues to do so with relative impunity, in major publications, long after the lies are exposed.

More: Betsy McCaughey, Liar - Lies - Gawker

Yeah. Keep up.

Political Junky and PaperView the same person? Who knew?

Seriously folks, you pick out some of the biggest wackjobs on the planet and let Jon Stewart (a comedian) interview them and somehow think that's a victory for the Left? :lol:

Your own damn Wiki link xsited shows what she did immediately after losing her stint in 1997.

The Hudson Institute is an American, conservative, non-profit think tank founded in 1961, in Croton-on-Hudson, New York, by futurist, military strategist, and systems theorist Herman Kahn and his colleagues at the RAND Corporation.[2] It moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1984 and to Washington, D.C., in 2004.[3]

You partisans really crack me up.

That's damn weak of a reply xsited for someone who called the major con-job a democrat...when shown evidence of who she really is...

What is the whimper?:

You partisans crack me up.
:lol:

Even if you tried, it couldn't be weaker.

Partisans? The argument is not even an argument. The Republicans are just lying about it. Nowhere in the [not a bill yet] are there any "death panel" provisions, either implied or explicit. How is that partisan? It's like arguing that your steak is well done when you ordered medium rare, when in reality, you're eating a cheese sandwich. This isn't a viable discourse any way.

I'm getting the distinct feeling xsited, you don't even know how significant Betsy McCaughey is to this debate, do you?

I'm sensing you're not just playing a coy job here, you're simply ignorant on the matter.

That explains it some...

Partisans? The argument is not even an argument. The Republicans are just lying about it. Nowhere in the [not a bill yet] are there any "death panel" provisions, either implied or explicit. How is that partisan? It's like arguing that your steak is well done when you ordered medium rare, when in reality, you're eating a cheese sandwich. This isn't a viable discourse any way.
They are jousting with a Unicorn, and trying their damndest to direct our attention to the bucking and braying Unicorn.

You can see that Unicorn, can't you

Can't you...?

I'm getting the distinct feeling xsited, you don't even know how significant Betsy McCaughey is to this debate, do you?

I'm sensing you're not just playing a coy job here, you're simply ignorant on the matter.

That explains it some...

Which is really scary. The Republicans are hoping the sound bites will get through and after the bell is rung, the majority of the population is too lazy or just plain incapable of finding out for themselves because of the artificial dichotomy they have created.

But beyond that, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that Betsy should know better. If I write something, I've usually researched it right down to the warp and weft before I pull the piece together. If I were to write something that might be assailable, I'd have to show more data that supported my argument than didn't. At the point I would be called upon to defend my premise, I'd be prepared. I wouldn't just write something I knew to be patently false and expect to get away with it, nor would I anyway for that matter. So is Betsy entirely to blame? I think not. Grassley certainly knows better, and if he doesn't, then he failed in due diligence as both a Senator and a lawyer. Then we have individuals like Sarah Palin opining on it, and clearly she isn't qualified to opine on anything, but out she trots, repeating the same mush. Palin is an undereducated, ethically challenged cartoon package. Betsy is basically a liar for hire, but not even a good one. I'm sure there are more substantive discussions that we could engage in besides the easily impeached Death Panel farce.......like what if private insurance participation falls drastically in response to the public option and how does that affect employment and the redistribution of capital in the public markets and the tax base.........stuff that really matters..............

Last edited:

That explains it some...

Which is really scary. The Republicans are hoping the sound bites will get through and after the bell is rung, the majority of the population is too lazy or just plain incapable of finding out for themselves because of the artificial dichotomy they have created.

But beyond that, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that Betsy should know better. If I write something, I've usually researched it right down to the warp and weft before I pull the piece together. If I were to write something that might be assailable, I'd have to show more data that supported my argument than didn't. At the point I would be called upon to defend my premise, I'd be prepared. I wouldn't just write something I knew to be patently false and expect to get away with it, nor would I anyway for that matter. So is Betsy entirely to blame? I think not. Grassley certainly knows better, and if he doesn't, then he failed in due diligence as both a Senator and a lawyer. Then we have individuals like Sarah Palin opining on it, and clearly she isn't qualified to opine on anything, but out she trots, repeating the same mush. Palin is an undereducated, ethically challenged cartoon package. Betsy is basically a liar for hire, but not even a good one. I'm sure there are more substantive discussions that we could engage in besides the easily impeached Death Panel farce.......like what if private insurance participation falls drastically in response to the public option and how does that affect employment and the redistribution of capital in the public markets and the tax base.........stuff that really matters..............
Damn. That is one god-awful good post. :D

I plan on going out of my way from now on to read your thoughts.

Superb!

That's damn weak of a reply xsited for someone who called the major con-job a democrat...when shown evidence of who she really is...

What is the whimper?:

You partisans crack me up.
:lol:

Even if you tried, it couldn't be weaker.

Weak? No 'major con job' would ever run as a Democrat. That's a given. So what is she? Obviously a wackjob worthy of going on a comedy show. But what is really amusing is that you somehow think this is a 'win' for the Left. Wow, just wow.

Forum List

Back