Joint Statement McCain and Obama

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
All of us came together on 9/11 -- not as Democrats or Republicans -- but as Americans. In smoke-filled corridors and on the steps of the Capitol; at blood banks and at vigils -- we were united as one American family. On Thursday, we will put aside politics and come together to renew that unity, to honor the memory of each and every American who died, and to grieve with the families and friends who lost loved ones. We will also give thanks for the firefighters, police, and emergency responders who set a heroic example of selfless service, and for the men and women who serve today in defense of the freedom and security that came under attack in New York City, at the Pentagon, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania."

All of us came together on 9/11 -- not as Democrats or Republicans -- but as Americans. In smoke-filled corridors and on the steps of the Capitol; at blood banks and at vigils -- we were united as one American family. On Thursday, we will put aside politics and come together to renew that unity, to honor the memory of each and every American who died, and to grieve with the families and friends who lost loved ones. We will also give thanks for the firefighters, police, and emergency responders who set a heroic example of selfless service, and for the men and women who serve today in defense of the freedom and security that came under attack in New York City, at the Pentagon, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania."

That's honorable and I encourage them to keep it up until Nov 4th.

That is the 'one' good thing that came out of 9/11 our country was united for a time and people actually were flying flags all over. I think you should always fly a flag, for one to remember all who have died so we could fly that flag.

Beautiful.

Nothing like national tragedy to remind us that we are a nation, is there?

I have to admit I'm rather fond of natural disasters because they reminds their victims that we are a members of the same community, too.

That is the 'one' good thing that came out of 9/11 our country was united for a time and people actually were flying flags all over. I think you should always fly a flag, for one to remember all who have died so we could fly that flag.

You know Luissa, I was listening to the mother of one of the victims of United Flight 175 this morning and on the flags. One of the striking things she said was that after it had happened it made her feel comforted to see that so many people had displayed flags to honor those that lost their lives and gave her a sense that everyone shared the same grief as she did for her son. She also said that when most of the flags went away it gave her a sense that somehow many had forgotten about him. It was very powerful to listen to and I agree with you completely.

You know Luissa, I was listening to the mother of one of the victims of United Flight 175 this morning and on the flags. One of the striking things she said was that after it had happened it made her feel comforted to see that so many people had displayed flags to honor those that lost their lives and gave her a sense that everyone shared the same grief as she did for her son. She also said that when most of the flags went away it gave her a sense that somehow many had forgotten about him. It was very powerful to listen to and I agree with you completely.
I worked at Kmart at the time and we could not get flags in fast enough, plus the people who we ordered from couldn't get them fast enough. Then after awhile we couldn't sale them. People forget which is sad. We have also forgotten about the people who were down at Ground Zero and now they need our help!

I never flew a flag after 9/11... I hadn't flown one before and felt it would be a hollow gesture and disingenuous. I gave money to help the victims and those whose families were left behind.

I felt they needed that more than they needed my flag support.

Great statement but it's pathetic that we need a tragedy of this size in this country to all come together.

In smoke-filled corridors and on the steps of the Capitol

JOINT statement?

A smoke-filled room in a corner basement
The situation must be right
A bag of goodies and a bottle of wine
We're gonna get it on right tonight

I completely agree that the events on 9-11 seems a shame that it takes the deaths of 1000's of our countrymen/women to help us realize that no matter what our points of view be they liberal or conservative or somewhere in the middle, we all share a common interest in the welfare of this country. Perhaps, one day if we learn nothing else, we we learn to set aside differences and meet in the middle and work together to solve issues that effect us all, so all of us can pass along a better place than we were given. I've said it many times before, I don't mind a debate with those I disagree with at all, and for the most part the odd's are usually not in my favor. *laughs* the good thing I see though is the process itself and the number of people that really do want to make a difference and that alone gives me hope. So be it a flag, a donation, or even a simple thank you to a fireman , a police officer, or sailor, soldier, airman , or marine, or even your mother and dad, however you express it, you honor the memories of those that did nothing that day but go to work and and live their lives like we do now as citizens of a great country.

I completely agree that the events on 9-11 seems a shame that it takes the deaths of 1000's of our countrymen/women to help us realize that no matter what our points of view be they liberal or conservative or somewhere in the middle, we all share a common interest in the welfare of this country. Perhaps, one day if we learn nothing else, we we learn to set aside differences and meet in the middle and work together to solve issues that effect us all, so all of us can pass along a better place than we were given. I've said it many times before, I don't mind a debate with those I disagree with at all, and for the most part the odd's are usually not in my favor. *laughs* the good thing I see though is the process itself and the number of people that really do want to make a difference and that alone gives me hope. So be it a flag, a donation, or even a simple thank you to a fireman , a police officer, or sailor, soldier, airman , or marine, or even your mother and dad, however you express it, you honor the memories of those that did nothing that day but go to work and and live their lives like we do now as citizens of a great country.
i would give another pos rep for this but of course it won't allow me. And we do need to do something for those who there that day, they are getting sick and some don't have the help they need. I watched a story on one fireman who has to rent out his house and live in his neighbors basement so he can pay his medical bills. These men put their lives at risk to save many. CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

i would give another pos rep for this but of course it won't allow me. And we do need to do something for those who there that day, they are getting sick and some don't have the help they need. I watched a story on one fireman who has to rent out his house and live in his neighbors basement so he can pay his medical bills. These men put their lives at risk to save many. CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

Luissa, All the Firemen, policemen and rescue people and their families deserve not only our thanks, but they deserve to be treated with honor and respect and that includes ANYTHING that has caused problems for them as a result of 9-11 be it financial, health or otherwise. I thought I would put a little video in here that I thouht you might appreciate. It's very powerful.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJHqUWFOgI]YouTube - FDNY 9-11 Memorial[/ame]

Luissa, All the Firemen, policemen and rescue people and their families deserve not only our thanks, but they deserve to be treated with honor and respect and that includes ANYTHING that has caused problems for them as a result of 9-11 be it financial, health or otherwise. I thought I would put a little video in here that I thouht you might appreciate. It's very powerful.

YouTube - FDNY 9-11 Memorial
Thanks for the link, it is still hard to watch!
The best documentary I watched was the one filled by those french brothers. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do.
My friend who lived in Brooklyn on 9/11 actually worked for this company who is doing a survey of people who were around ground zero on their physical and mental health. She had to quit because she said it got to hard to hear what they were going through.
Also another reason why they deserve whatever they need not they need anymore reasons. After Katrina hit some went down to New Orleans to help in anyway they could. This is why I am Proud to be an American!

Forum List

Back