John Lennon-in 20 minutes, 31 years ago.

Plenty of people who are NOT famous are also killed by nutters.

While I think it tragic that Lennon got killed by one, I continue to fail to understand why some of us want to deify the guy.

Death by nutter is a far too common occurance in this nation, folks.

Lennon was just another victim of it that problem.

It, I think, is just proof of a huge unresolved problem.

Deify, Lennon. I don't know that we're doing that. I just happen to agree with what many people say: that he was one of the best songwriters of the 20th century. Just like people are still talking about and listening to Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Berlioz, Dvorak, etc... If human beings are still around in 200 years, McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison will still be mentioned and appreciated. Also Elton John, Billy Joel, Jimi Hendrix, all of Motown's stars, and it goes on and on....just like the composers of old.

It was special to me, because at 5 years old, I happened to like the song that I posted. And while at that age I had no concept of the permanence of death, I knew that what had happened was a big deal.

And it has and will continue to happen (crazy people killing innocent people for no reason). It will continue until people with mental illness realize that their medication isn't "optional".

The thing that pisses me off about Lennon dying when he did, no matter the cause, is that he obviously was not finished giving us great stuff...

I feel the same way about Hendrix... who coulda gone on to give us plenty more great stuff...

not so much about Joplin, who'd pretty much burned herself out with her incredible intensity by the time she died...

and definitely not at all about Jim Morrison, who put up some great stuff at first, but then soon became tedious and boring...

The thing that pisses me off about Lennon dying when he did, no matter the cause, is that he obviously was not finished giving us great stuff...

I feel the same way about Hendrix... who coulda gone on to give us plenty more great stuff...

not so much about Joplin, who'd pretty much burned herself out with her incredible intensity by the time she died...

and definitely not at all about Jim Morrison, who put up some great stuff at first, but then soon became tedious and boring...

Oh, undoubtedly. It's sad that all of them are gone, but what they DID leave behind! We were blessed with that, at least.

Oh, undoubtedly. It's sad that all of them are gone, but what they DID leave behind! We were blessed with that, at least.

true dat...

I thought Lennon's solo career after the Beatles was disappointing - maybe the most disappointing of all the ex-Beatles.

George's post- Beatles career was the best IMO.

I thought Lennon's solo career after the Beatles was disappointing - maybe the most disappointing of all the ex-Beatles.

agreed, George was terrific...

but John disappointing...?! you've got to be kidding me...!

Paul's the one who's a waste of listening time... his solo career has only shown that he is indeed the insipid one of the four...

outshown by even Ringo's humble offerings...

agreed, George was terrific...

but John disappointing...?! you've got to be kidding me...!

Paul's the one who's a waste of listening time... his solo career has only shown that he is indeed the insipid one of the four...

outshown by even Ringo's humble offerings...

Ono made John into a house-husband.

Her singing is like Chinese Water Torture

Paul get too caught up in his own celebrity - don't like his politics much either.

Forum List

Back