Joe Girardi at his post game press conference

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
bone+head

Jedi Joe Girardi overmanages Yankees into corner against Angels

Girardi officially jumped the shark as a manager when he removed reliever David Robertson after the right-hander retired the first two batters he faced in the Angels' half of the 11th in a 4-4 tie.

You see, Howie Kendrick was coming up; Howie was 1 for 2 — one for TWO — in his career against Robertson. While that does compute to a menacing .500, it's not exactly a large sample size with which to work. But Girardi just had to do something, or else a .500 hitter was coming up. He couldn't sit by and watch (which is exactly what he should have done).

Alfredo Aceves, the Yankees' seventh reliever of the afternoon, had never allowed a hit to Kendrick — in zero at-bats — for a much safer-seeming .000 batting average.

Why, Joe, why?

A day later and I'm still annoyed by it.

Acevas has been struggling the last 6 weeks, and gave up a run the other day to the Halos, he was the WRONG guy to bring in.

Also, he didn't need to make a switch, Robinson had 2 easy outs and was crusing.

Girardi made the kind of move that losses series and gets managers fired.

There were other over managing moments, such as Marte (a lefty) getting figgins in the 7the for the final out, and Joe brings in Coke (another lefty) to pitch to ONE batter in the 8th? Why not just let Marte pitch to that one batter and not burn another reliever you may need later on?

He didn't manage this way all year, now with the world series in reach he's turing into torre, bad trouble for NY.

Last edited:
Do the Yankees ever play hit and run? I mean EVER?

I would have sent Gardner on the first pitch, you can ask my TV I yelled at it enough that it remembers, "Yes, Frank sent Gardner on the first pitch"

Girardi is like Torre before him, he has a team of hitters and won't give them an ounce of help by having a running game.

Game 2 First and third and Cano up do you send the runner on first? Nah.

Last night, why not let Mariano hit and continue pitch? There's only a 25% chance a pinch hitter gets a hit anyway but then there's a 99.5% chance that the Angels don't score in the bottom of the inning. Bob Gibson batted, Sandy Koufax batted, Tom Seaver batted. Let Mariano take a cut.

A day later and I'm still annoyed by it.

Acevas has been struggling the last 6 weeks, and gave up a run the other day to the Halos, he was the WRONG guy to bring in.

Also, he didn't need to make a switch, Robinson had 2 easy outs and was crusing.

Girardi made the kind of move that losses series and gets managers fired.

There were other over managing moments, such as Marte (a lefty) getting figgins in the 7the for the final out, and Joe brings in Coke (another lefty) to pitch to ONE batter in the 8th? Why not just let Marte pitch to that one batter and not burn another reliever you may need later on?

He didn't manage this way all year, now with the world series in reach he's turing into torre, bad trouble for NY.

David Robertson looked in total command and on top of his game and Girardi only had TWO pitchers left in his bullpen...so he decided to cut that down to ONE...!

Also, I thought Phil Hughes looked in command too. I love Rivera, and I understand why any manager would give him the ball to preserve a tie and force extra innings; but, I might have let Hughes finish the inning and save Mariano...

BUT, if the Yankee's offense continues to look two men and a boy(s)...If I were Mike Scioscia I'd pitch around Jeter and A-Rod and take my chances with the rest of the lineup...

BTW...WTF was Nick Swisher doing...a Happy Gilmore imitation?!?!?! Cabrera, Teixeira and Hairston didn't look much better...

Forum List

Back