Jodi Arias Trial

I was an abused woman, too. So don't tell me I'm demeaning abused women just because I have a different opinion on this matter than you do. You remind me of my abuser when you do that, he liked to belittle me as well as hit me.

By the way, mine was physical abuse, getting beat up, raped once, that sort of thing, as well as psychological abuse, fear, etc. But I also recognize emotional abuse. Such as people who toy with the hearts of others, and then betray them. Someone people do this in an exceptionally cruel and callous way, as I suspect this guy did, and probably deserve whatever consequences may result. I mean, nothing generates more passion than betrayal, and we've all heard the term "crimes of passion," right?

Mine was physical and emotional abuse. It doesn't mean I believe every women who claims abuse. And attacking me as being similar to your abuser: wow, that says a lot about you. You need therapy. You are sick. You don't do to anyone what Arias did because of being emotionally abused. She was free to walk away; they were not married, not even living together. You do not even have proof she was abused, that's just her story, which never came up before she killed him; and neither was it proven in court, that she was abused in anyway other than he told her he wasn't going to marry her and was going to date other women. If every man or woman on Earth felt they had the right to murder someone who didn't return their love, we'd be murdering each other right and left.

Wow! I am sick., I need therapy because the way you are talking to me right reminds me of the way my abuser treated me. ROFL And then you turn around and do it again by telling me I am sick, I need therapy. ROFLMAO That is EXACTLY what he would do. If I didn't agree with him or want to do things as he wanted them done...he would belittle me, tell me I was fucked up, I was the problem.

I think Travis might have been the sociopath, that's what I think. A motivational speaker who was masterful at manipulating people. He pretended to be in love with her, went along with her converting to his ridiculous religion (which has a history of demeaning women, by the way), got her all wrapped up in him, promising her a wonderful future with him, and then....BAM. Fuck off bitch, I want other women.

Yeah, that's the kind thing a sociopath would do. They aren't always murderers, they destroy people in many other ways. All the while convincing everyone what a wonderful person they are. Just like Ted Bundy.

Yes, you are sick to think that if someone disagrees with you, they are emotinally abusing you. You are sick to think that it is okay to tell someone who disagrees with you they are emotinally abusing you. You have clearly not dealt with and heeled from whatever abuse you suffered. In your own best interests, I would suggest you see someone. Seeing abuse at every turn is not healthy. Interpreting what people say who disagree with you as abuse is not healthy. I in no way belittled you. I disagreed with you, and you told me I was abusing you by disagreeing. That is when I said you have issues, which you clearly do if you can turn on someone who disagrees with you and say it is abuse.

I managed to hear very little about this sordid case.

Sounded like she was 'obsessed'---and whatever else she may be.

One commentator remarked --'What is it about this case that has intrigued so many across the world for so long?'

Sadly, the response was the graphic sexual details. True or not true?

flippantly--Does this indicate that our educational system is no longer imparting what wisdom might be gleaned from the pen of William Shakespeare?

Human nature--there are some frightening aspects which it seems will never change.

Just don't 'let yourself' shoot and stab others to death--by whatever means necessary.

That's right, don't "let yourself" shoot or stab others to death. Not even in self-defense. Just let them have their way with you.

just ignore my comments, then.

I didn't follow the trial--still regretting any minute I spent on Casey Anthony and a few others.

I just went with the last thing I heard today--accurate or blatantly biased opinion?

Something, something, something--the relationship had been difficult--Travis wanted out--seemed to be mesmerized by Jodie and the individual who commented theorized she had manipulated him through sex. Over and over again--'Jodie is manipulative'.

So this led me to conclude as I did. Having had my own experiences--sometimes 'Love Hurts' and both parties are cruel to each other. Conceivably this was one of those scenarios.

Nonetheless, when you act upon 'hurt feelings' by shooting and stabbing the offender you have 'crossed a line'. Millions of people--male and female have been deeply hurt --this has gone on for many centuries.

Other alternatives that would seem to keep the number of violent endings down--find a therapist, support group, vow to yourself never to be treated this way again, take a course, volunteer in your community, work on yourself---become fit in every way---kickboxing, martial arts, whatever.

'Living well is the best revenge'. If he hurt her then she hurt herself more= 'self destructive'. Therapists can help a person with that. jmo.

Mine was physical and emotional abuse. It doesn't mean I believe every women who claims abuse. And attacking me as being similar to your abuser: wow, that says a lot about you. You need therapy. You are sick. You don't do to anyone what Arias did because of being emotionally abused. She was free to walk away; they were not married, not even living together. You do not even have proof she was abused, that's just her story, which never came up before she killed him; and neither was it proven in court, that she was abused in anyway other than he told her he wasn't going to marry her and was going to date other women. If every man or woman on Earth felt they had the right to murder someone who didn't return their love, we'd be murdering each other right and left.

Wow! I am sick., I need therapy because the way you are talking to me right reminds me of the way my abuser treated me. ROFL And then you turn around and do it again by telling me I am sick, I need therapy. ROFLMAO That is EXACTLY what he would do. If I didn't agree with him or want to do things as he wanted them done...he would belittle me, tell me I was fucked up, I was the problem.

I think Travis might have been the sociopath, that's what I think. A motivational speaker who was masterful at manipulating people. He pretended to be in love with her, went along with her converting to his ridiculous religion (which has a history of demeaning women, by the way), got her all wrapped up in him, promising her a wonderful future with him, and then....BAM. Fuck off bitch, I want other women.

Yeah, that's the kind thing a sociopath would do. They aren't always murderers, they destroy people in many other ways. All the while convincing everyone what a wonderful person they are. Just like Ted Bundy.

Yes, you are sick to think that if someone disagrees with you, they are emotinally abusing you. You are sick to think that it is okay to tell someone who disagrees with you they are emotinally abusing you. You have clearly not dealt with and heeled from whatever abuse you suffered. In your own best interests, I would suggest you see someone. Seeing abuse at every turn is not healthy. Interpreting what people say who disagree with you as abuse is not healthy. I in no way belittled you. I disagreed with you, and you told me I was abusing you by disagreeing. That is when I said you have issues, which you clearly do if you can turn on someone who disagrees with you and say it is abuse.

You accused me of demeaning women. You made it personal. Go fuck yourself.

Last edited:
Kooshda -

I think the point here is that there is no evidence that Jodi Arias was in any way abused.

Maybe she was, in which case she may have had a case for self defense, but there is no evidence to suggest that, and her own habit of endless lying about the events do not suggest that she is a credible witness.

As I understand Esmeralda's point - if she is claiming to be a victim of abuse and was not abused, then her actions are an insult to all women who are abused. I think that is a fair point.

I have no problem with a woman defending herself, but I do have a problem with using abuse as an accusation to justify murder.

Jodi Arias was not an abused women. You demean women who are really abused when you defend someone like Arias for what she did. She was not an abused women. She didn't need to defend herself. I have experienced domestic violence and am offended by someone like Arias trying to use that as a defense for what she did. It's like women who cry rape when they haven't been raped, then real rape victims all become suspect, their veracity challenged.

I was an abused woman, too. So don't tell me I'm demeaning abused women just because I have a different opinion on this matter than you do. You remind me of my abuser when you do that, he liked to belittle me as well as hit me.

By the way, mine was physical abuse, getting beat up, raped once, that sort of thing, as well as psychological abuse, fear, etc. But I also recognize emotional abuse. Such as people who toy with the hearts of others, and then betray them. Someone people do this in an exceptionally cruel and callous way, as I suspect this guy did, and probably deserve whatever consequences may result. I mean, nothing generates more passion than betrayal, and we've all heard the term "crimes of passion," right?

With all due respect, you have no proof that she wasn't abused. It is your opinion that she wasn't - she may well have been, we will never know.

Kooshda -

I think the point here is that there is no evidence that Jodi Arias was in any way abused.

Maybe she was, in which case she may have had a case for self defense, but there is no evidence to suggest that, and her own habit of endless lying about the events do not suggest that she is a credible witness.

As I understand Esmeralda's point - if she is claiming to be a victim of abuse and was not abused, then her actions are an insult to all women who are abused. I think that is a fair point.

I have no problem with a woman defending herself, but I do have a problem with using abuse as an accusation to justify murder.

I agree with you on this.
If she lied about being abused, then she makes it harder for genuine victims to come forward, and be believed.

Kooshda -

If she lied about being abused, then she makes it harder for genuine victims to come forward, and be believed.

i think they had a twisted relationship from the start

Kooshda -

i think they had a twisted relationship from the start

It would seem so.

Kooshda -

eh--One of the experts said, again--maybe Dr. Drew, there are several ways an individual can become a sociopath/psychopath--not in the mood to discuss the differences, fyi--become 'damaged' to this degree--organic/biological chemistry of the brain is off from the start or significant trauma/abuse somewhere along the line, frequently childhood.

So--I go with that--Jodi is yet another person who had these issues. What is to be done--seems like much more $ for scientific research related to the brain and dreaming the impossible dream that common decency becomes the goal in every home across the land, from sea to shining sea.

Violence --so many kinds, cruelty, so many kinds--so destructive.

Just finish this trial up and let's move on. I tuned into HLN for a few minutes last night and they were giddy--it bothered me, as usual. If Jodi Arias is 'every bad thing in the world' a somber and serious demeanor when discussing her case would seem appropriate.

I cannot/will not watch HLN anymore. CNN is 'bad enough' about overdramatizing but HLN is 'unacceptable'.

I could have slapped one guy that almost jumped out of his seat---'She manipulated her way into the prison's psych ward...' He sounded like a 10 year old boy. Then everyone else joined in --not to insult teenagers but that is how the group struck me--like a bunch of adrenalin crazed teenagers at a rock concert. Not a good example for the public...not at all.

After hearing 'all of this'/news I attempted to relieve the stress and ran some errands.

As I was leaving the gas station I saw a woman and 2 small children sitting on a blanket outside. I knew the reason would not be good and it wasn't. She said she was sitting there because she had no where to stay tonight--a woman thought she might have a place for her in a shelter tomorrow. So she was hoping to collect enough money --$50 --to get a motel room.

This disturbs me greatly--all of it. #1--Not likely that she could collect that much money before dark--it was around 7PM. Then not many motels in the immediate area---there are a few about 1 mile or so away--might be more expensive. So how would she find a motel --walking along a busy street with two little children?

And --her best option/hope of an option was that a woman might find a spot in a shelter for her tomorrow.

In the meantime, should the gas station choose to do so--she could have been asked to leave and face legal consequences. Perhaps a member of LE would have been able to provide assistance with finding a place for the night--not the jail.

I gave her some money and then told her about the shelters I knew of--even offered to drive her up there--about 5 miles. Not a rational plan, I know.

I know that 'assistance' for this type of problem is practically nil in my area. Probably the same everywhere.

pardon my rant--It is just not right that people should have to live in such a manner.

I searched for some glimmer of hope--'WE', the people are intensively aware --our government is aware---many are motivated to do what they can/volunteer. Beyond any political affiliations--it is the right thing to do--morally--to try to help.

Do what you can when you can --I suppose that is all that anyone can do.

Yeah, you'll notice that women are particularly gleeful about this conviction. Just like the woman who came and leaned over me after I had been knocked to the floor by my boyfriend, and spat at me, "You ASKED for it! You provoked him!" Yeah, I had dared to voice my own opinions and disagree with someone. I asked for it.

That's women for you. That's what I expect from my gender.

You'll also see them clamoring for the death penalty. Oh, wait...they've already started. And they'll probably want to watch her die. Yeah, that's it! Her execution should be televised! Teach this bitch a lesson!

I don't think this is a gender issue at all. Although Ms Arias, wanted us all to believe it was an issue.

It is an issue of justice. Finally, regardless of gender, justice will be served.

Let me preface this by saying I think that Jodi Arias is guilty as hell and I would have been disappointed in our jury trial system if they had found otherwise.

Having said that, let me ask you something. You speak of "justice" and applaud the guilty verdict. Well and good. But you do understand, don't you, that a not guilty verdict can just as easily equate with "justice" as a guilty verdict? It would not have in this case, but generally speaking. You do understand that, right?

The reason I say this is that, whenever someone is found guilty, I hear poster after poster here talking about how "justice" has been served. I rarely hear that when a not guilty verdict comes in.

Maybe people are so happy when a guilty verdict is reached because OJ and Casey Anthony got a free ride.

I don't think this is a gender issue at all. Although Ms Arias, wanted us all to believe it was an issue.

It is an issue of justice. Finally, regardless of gender, justice will be served.

Let me preface this by saying I think that Jodi Arias is guilty as hell and I would have been disappointed in our jury trial system if they had found otherwise.

Having said that, let me ask you something. You speak of "justice" and applaud the guilty verdict. Well and good. But you do understand, don't you, that a not guilty verdict can just as easily equate with "justice" as a guilty verdict? It would not have in this case, but generally speaking. You do understand that, right?

The reason I say this is that, whenever someone is found guilty, I hear poster after poster here talking about how "justice" has been served. I rarely hear that when a not guilty verdict comes in.

Maybe people are so happy when a guilty verdict is reached because OJ and Casey Anthony got a free ride.

Maybe. And maybe there is just something in people, regardless of OJ and Casey Anthony, that compels them to gather in the streets and pelt the condemned person with garbage as he/she is being carted to the gallows.

I watched the crowds of people cheering and hopping up and down when the verdict was announced, and I thought, show a little dignity, folks. But the mobs never do.

Maybe. And maybe there is just something in people, regardless of OJ and Casey Anthony, that compels them to gather in the streets and pelt the condemned person with garbage as he/she is being carted to the gallows.

I watched the crowds of people cheering and hopping up and down when the verdict was announced, and I thought, show a little dignity, folks. But the mobs never do.

What sort of lives are they living to be that invested in Jodi Arias or for that matter, anyone else's legal problems?

Personally, I am not convinced that cameras in the courtroom is that great of an idea--it is what we have chosen to do---in many cases. months ago --when some sensational trial was held the judge chose not to allow the media and I thought that was good. strange that I have no further recollection--it was headline news at the time. oh well.

Drama--maybe we are hooked on drama and our media knows this has become our 'pusher', keeps us addicted? Doubtful that there will be introspective analyses of this.

Thankful that I still have the ability to set some limits for myself.

I think I've grasped the basics--we have those among us who suffer from something--perhaps they were born this way or were shaped by negative experiences into maladjusted people. Tragic. At least to me.

Kooshda -

Well, I can imagine hesitating to defend myself if I need to in the future. It might be the first time the person attacks me, so there will be no evidence of previous abuse. I'm kind of pretty, so all the women will automatically hate me and be screaming for my death.

Yeah, I think I'd rather risk a beating than take the risk of life in prison for defending myself. Seriously. I'll play dead, maybe that will save my life. But I sure wouldn't want to put my fate in the hands of these frothing mobs and vindictive, small-minded people who act like they're at a gladiator arena rather than at a civilized legal proceeding.

I bet I'm not the only abused woman who will hesitate before pulling a trigger or swinging a baseball bat in self-defense because of this. Which might get some of us killed. Oh, well.

Last edited:

Yeah, I think that's what turns my stomach, too. The mob mentality. And I bet a lot of these people call themselves Christians. They should be praying for her everlasting soul, not hoping for her death.

Yeah, I think that's what turns my stomach, too. The mob mentality. And I bet a lot of these people call themselves Christians. They should be praying for her everlasting soul, not hoping for her death.

Once you know what she did to that guy, you might change your thinking on that.

She killed him several times, stabbing him in the back, slitting his throat, shooting him.. I don't care what happens to that little pig Arias.

Next, we get to see that other moron Zimmerman lie over and over about what happened with that kid he murdered. He's already testing his little story out in the press.

Once you know what she did to that guy, you might change your thinking on that.

She killed him several times, stabbing him in the back, slitting his throat, shooting him.. I don't care what happens to that little pig Arias.

Next, we get to see that other moron Zimmerman lie over and over about what happened with that kid he murdered. He's already testing his little story out in the press.

I understand your feelings. I'm sure similar feelings prompted the mob to hop up and down and cheer. All I'm saying is, in spite of the depth of your feelings, react with dignity. Don't grab a torch and a pitchfork and fall in line to pop her out of jail and string her up to a tree. (And I trust you know I am not referring to "you" literally but, rather, to people in general.)

I would like to think we have progressed from the times of public executions where the mob gathered, bright-eyed with expectation, lusting for the moment of death. Frankly, I don't think we have.

You know, it's really funny. It doesn't seem to matter what the facts of the case are, the general public overwhelmingly thinks that anyone accused of a high profile crime (usually murder) is guilty. I once had a very high profile murder case where the defendant was clearly innocent. He was acquitted after half a day of deliberation - and properly so.

That was about 11 years ago. Since then, I have talked with dozens of people about the case and, without exception, they all express amazement that the defendant was acquitted. 48 Hours did a one-hour program on the entire trial, all of it dedicated to the theme of: "Guilty man gets off." I'm totally convinced that 48 Hours felt that "Guilty man gets off" would appeal much more to the general public (and thereby draw more viewers) than a theme of "Innocent man gets off." Greedy bastards.

I think it's a combination of several factors. Probably one of the main factors is the phenominom knows as schadenfreude - taking pleasure in other people's misfortune. Another is a reluctance to think that the polilce could make a mistake with an arrest or that a prosecutor could be making a mistake by going forward with the case. Another important factor is revenge. The worse the crime, the more the desire to see "justice" (i.e., revenge) handed out.

Whatever, I just know that 9 out of 10 folks are going to assume that someone accused of a major crime is guilty, whether they are or not.

(I'm just spouting off about this in passing - I join with those who feel the Arias verdict was proper.)

Last edited:
You know, it's really funny. It doesn't seem to matter what the facts of the case are, the general public overwhelmingly thinks that anyone accused of a high profile crime (usually murder) is guilty. I once had a very high profile murder case where the defendant was clearly innocent. He was acquitted after half a day of deliberation - and properly so.

That was about 11 years ago. Since then, I have talked with dozens of people about the case and, without exception, they all express amazement that the defendant was acquitted. 48 Hours did a one-hour program on the entire trial, all of it dedicated to the theme of: "Guilty man gets off." I'm totally convinced that 48 Hours felt that "Guilty man gets off" would appeal much more to the general public (and thereby draw more viewers) than a theme of "Innocent man gets off." Greedy bastards.

I think it's a combination of several factors. Probably one of the main factors is the phenominom knows as schadenfreude - taking pleasure in other people's misfortune. Another is a reluctance to think that the polilce could make a mistake with an arrest or that a prosecutor could be making a mistake by going forward with the case. Another important factor is revenge. The worse the crime, the more the desire to see "justice" (i.e., revenge) handed out.

Whatever, I just know that 9 out of 10 folks are going to assume that someone accused of a major crime is guilty, whether they are or not.

(I'm just spouting off about this in passing - I join with those who feel the Arias verdict was proper.)

On the other side of this--are cases like the Jon Benet Ramsey case. There are those who still believe that her mother is guilty. To be accused of murdering your own child and have the legal process drag on for decades would be nothing less than 'H'.

Salacious. The media understands this aspect of human nature.

Whatever it takes to choose law enforcement or really any direct contact with the legal system--attorney, etc--I just don't have that gene.

Forum List

Back