Job Lock?!?

HelenaHandbag

Shoots back
Nov 20, 2013
Wouldn't you like to know
Just when you thought that you had heard it all.

Just when you thought the drivel from pencil necked progressive spinmeisters couldn't get more convoluted, more contrived, more made up from the cloth of the Emperor's new clothes, along comes this doozie of a whopper: job lock.

In case you haven't heard of this latest straw dog fantasy of the left here's how it goes:

You see, there are people (though nobody has yet bothered themselves to tabulate any hard number of how many) who have taken sucky jobs that they utterly hate, because they get medical insurance benefits. Some (again, no solid number) even toiling away 50-60 hours a week, at these horrible jobs, that these folks were Shanghaied into.

All just because they get medical benefits.

Never mind that they get wages and salaries and OT at these jobs. Never mind that they chose to take and stay at the jobs. No, they're just "locked into it" for the health insurance.

But now, through the sublime miracle that is Obiecare, these people can leave their tragically torturous jobs, get a subsidy from your pocket, and go pursue that low stress part-time dream job as a pizza delivery guy or palm reader, and even have that extra time to tuck their little rugrats into their beddy-byes.

And the DNC hacks say this with straight faces, as though the 80% of Americans who aren't slack jawed Obiezombies are supposed to take them as seriously as they're trying to take themselves.

I believe that it is high time for there be someone on hand with a laugh track, for any time any administration flack or progressive politician stands before any microphone. Maybe they can even get health insurance benefits.

Just when you thought the drivel from pencil necked progressive spinmeisters couldn't get more convoluted, more contrived, more made up from the cloth of the Emperor's new clothes, along comes this doozie of a whopper: job lock.

In case you haven't heard of this latest straw dog fantasy of the left here's how it goes:

You see, there are people (though nobody has yet bothered themselves to tabulate any hard number of how many) who have taken sucky jobs that they utterly hate, because they get medical insurance benefits. Some (again, no solid number) even toiling away 50-60 hours a week, at these horrible jobs, that these folks were Shanghaied into.

Never mind that they get wages and salaries and OT at these jobs. Never mind that they chose to take and stay at the jobs. No, they're just "locked into it" for the health insurance.

But now, through the sublime miracle that is Obiecare, these people can leave their tragically torturous jobs, get a subsidy from your pocket, and go pursue that low stress part-time dream job as a pizza delivery guy or palm reader, and even have that extra time to tuck their little rugrats into their beddy-byes.

And the DNC hacks say this with straight faces, as though the 80% of Americans who aren't slack jawed Obiezombies are supposed to take them as seriously as they're trying to take themselves.

I believe that it is high time for there be someone on hand with a laugh track, for any time any administration flack or progressive politician stands before any microphone. Maybe they can even get health insurance benefits.

At least you recognize the problem. But I was reading about a couple who were able to start their own business that had nothing to do with pizza delivery or palm reading. This proves that right wingers like you want people locked into low paying jobs with no benefits. I'm guessing because that's all you will ever be qualified for and that makes you one jealous asshole.

You are unhappy that people, not businesses, now have more control of their own lives?

We Republicans have to meet the lower and middle classes where they live, Helena, and stop kissing business butt. Huckabee is a populist Republican, which is one reason why he was Governor of Arkansas. And, even though is a biblical literalist, I would vote for him.

Tough.

You are unhappy that people, not businesses, now have more control of their own lives?

We Republicans have to meet the lower and middle classes where they live, Helena, and stop kissing business butt. Huckabee is a populist Republican, which is one reason why he was Governor of Arkansas. And, even though is a biblical literalist, I would vote for him.

Tough.
The people didn't have enough control over their own lives, that they kept jobs that they hated only because of the medical insurance benefits, which they could have obtained from any number of jobs that they would have liked better?

Are you really that obtuse?

That was a rhetorical question, I'm convinced that you are.

The people didn't have enough control over their own lives, that they kept jobs that they hated only because of the medical insurance benefits, which they could have obtained from any number of jobs that they would have liked better?

Please let me know the coordinates of the planet you live on. It certainly isn't Terra. I know a couple dozen people stuck in jobs for the medical insurance benefits they have received because otherwise they or a family member were uninsurable. I guess on your planet there is a congenital abnormality in vision that makes these people virtually every American is aware of invisible to you. Hopefully Obamacare will provide benefits to correct that.

Tough.

You are really that out of touch.

Your problem.

Please let me know the coordinates of the planet you live on. It certainly isn't Terra. I know a couple dozen people stuck in jobs for the medical insurance benefits they have received because otherwise they or a family member were uninsurable. I guess on your planet there is a congenital abnormality in vision that makes these people virtually every American is aware of invisible to you. Hopefully Obamacare will provide benefits to correct that.

Just so. I am sure most of us know at least twenty wage or salary earners are stuck at the jobs because of insurance. To suggest otherwise reveals one's ignorance.

Horse feathers.

Just so. I am sure most of us know at least twenty wage or salary earners are stuck at the jobs because of insurance. To suggest otherwise reveals one's ignorance.
What would liberals do if they couldn't lie?

Here are a couple of Heritage Foundation analysts in 2008, praising a healthcare plan proposed by then-GOP presidential nominee John McCain: "Individuals who wish to take a better job, change careers or leave the workforce to raise a family or to retire early take substantial risks. ... This health insurance obstacle to labor mobility is some*times called 'job-lock.'" (Igor Volsky has more examples of conservative hand-wringing about job-lock here.)

'Job-lock' and the Republican dilemma over Obamacare - latimes.com

It's as much a Republican phrase as it is a Democratic so don't get too comfortable bashing it.
Obamacare Finally Gives Workers The Freedom Conservatives Demanded | ThinkProgress

Here are a couple of Heritage Foundation analysts in 2008, praising a healthcare plan proposed by then-GOP presidential nominee John McCain: "Individuals who wish to take a better job, change careers or leave the workforce to raise a family or to retire early take substantial risks. ... This health insurance obstacle to labor mobility is some*times called 'job-lock.'" (Igor Volsky has more examples of conservative hand-wringing about job-lock here.)

It's as much a Republican phrase as it is a Democratic so don't get too comfortable bashing it.
Obamacare Finally Gives Workers The Freedom Conservatives Demanded | ThinkProgress
Those are both dated 2014.

And I couldn't care less who is pulling BS out of their butts to try and rationalize their train wreck social programs. Fact remains that this "job lock" crap has been made up, post hoc, out of whole cloth.

And I couldn't care less who is pulling BS out of their butts to try and rationalize their train wreck social programs. Fact remains that this "job lock" crap has been made up, post hoc, out of whole cloth.

Just trying to help you out so you don't make yourself look like a complete idiot. Well, I tried anyway.

Not exactly, cherry-picking marginal cases prior to the effects of the ACA kicking in April to June of this year may be delusional but it has nothing to do with logic and therefore logical fallacies.

...even toiling away 50-60 hours a week, at these horrible jobs, that these folks were Shanghaied into.

Believe it or not, people take jobs so they can have health insurance. It's their prime and only motivation. Fucking incredible I know! But some people actually need medical coverage due to illness or disease that's costly. That's right, some people are ill and cannot afford their own treatment/medicine, go figure. AND FOR GOD SAKES if they leave that job they can STILL get affordable health care!

Oh wait! This was used by Paul Ryan as a reason Obamacare was bad: job lock. On May 20th 2009 he says "are we going to allow job lock to continue or are we going to allow individuals more choice and portability to fit the 21st Century work force?" He was evidently in favor of more freedom.

Now that this health care bill has actually done just that, allowing workers this very freedom Ryan says, "as welfare expands the incentive to work declines..."

Now which do you want? Of course the lastest most hip round of liberal bashing is on your agenda so you take door number 2. Trust me, I'm not for liberals and their agenda either. What I am is a libertarian that says more freedom for people from hard labor is a good thing. The 40 hr work week (originally the 16 hour work day brought to 12, then to 10) has been around for about .2% of human history. You think we would be lest worshiping of it but it sounds like you suck whatever insane pandering teat is available.

Last edited:
The people didn't have enough control over their own lives

That's the problem we both agree on. The world should operate differently where ALL people have the ability to make good choices. The trouble is from day one there is lies propaganda and mass media advertising into our brain feeding us misinformation and warping our understanding. We end up becoming consumers first and people 5th or 10th. Hardly on the list. That's because in the public education system one is not encouraged to evaluate their values and their certainly not given the proper set of tools for going about evaluating and prioritizing those values.

So while we grow up ignoring the most important questions of autonomy we are sucked into our lower base desires of consuming and pleasure. This overrides our ability to make good decisions because we are addicted and I mean literally to buying and acquisition of new things so we need a job in order to maintain our highly accepted addiction.

Trust me, I know addiction and consumerism as well as addiction to money/spending are the most acceptable forms of addiction in America. They are routinely praised for "driving the economy." Even though it comes from ever increasing amounts of borrowed money that simply will not be paid back in full. So keeping this debt cycle alive keeps the working class stuck in their jobs unable to make better choices. For those who have built enough of a nest egg they say fuck work and take the medical care they need. And you say this is a bad thing. It's one of the few times the gov't has done something right for people. Of course it's not without outs gaping flaws either but surely this instance is praiseworthy for giving individuals more liberty!

Last edited:
I have only heard about this with older people who are too young for Medicare. By this point in their life medical insurance is so expensive the financial incentive is pretty big.

The fact our country links health insurance with employment is pretty screwed up. It is like we try and make things hard on ourselves on purpose.

...even toiling away 50-60 hours a week, at these horrible jobs, that these folks were Shanghaied into.

Believe it or not, people take jobs so they can have health insurance. It's their prime and only motivation. Fucking incredible I know! But some people actually need medical coverage due to illness or disease that's costly. That's right, some people are ill and cannot afford their own treatment/medicine, go figure. AND FOR GOD SAKES if they leave that job they can STILL get affordable health care!

Oh wait! This was used by Paul Ryan as a reason Obamacare was bad: job lock. On May 20th 2009 he says "are we going to allow job lock to continue or are we going to allow individuals more choice and portability to fit the 21st Century work force?" He was evidently in favor of more freedom.

Now that this health care bill has actually done just that, allowing workers this very freedom Ryan says, "as welfare expands the incentive to work declines..."

Now which do you want? Of course the lastest most hip round of liberal bashing is on your agenda so you take door number 2. Trust me, I'm not for liberals and their agenda either. What I am is a libertarian that says more freedom for people from hard labor is a good thing. The 40 hr work week (originally the 16 hour work day brought to 12, then to 10) has been around for about .2% of human history. You think we would be lest worshiping of it but it sounds like you suck whatever insane pandering teat is available.
Tough beans. Nobody held a gun to those people's heads and forced them to take the job.

And freedom isn't digging in my pocket to pay for the consequences of choices that others may or may not make. In fact, that is the essence of tyranny.

The people didn't have enough control over their own lives

That's the problem we both agree on. The world should operate differently where ALL people have the ability to make good choices. The trouble is from day one there is lies propaganda and mass media advertising into our brain feeding us misinformation and warping our understanding. We end up becoming consumers first and people 5th or 10th. Hardly on the list. That's because in the public education system one is not encouraged to evaluate their values and their certainly not given the proper set of tools for going about evaluating and prioritizing those values.

So while we grow up ignoring the most important questions of autonomy we are sucked into our lower base desires of consuming and pleasure. This overrides our ability to make good decisions because we are addicted and I mean literally to buying and acquisition of new things so we need a job in order to maintain our highly accepted addiction.

Trust me, I know addiction and consumerism as well as addiction to money/spending are the most acceptable forms of addiction in America. They are routinely praised for "driving the economy." Even though it comes from ever increasing amounts of borrowed money that simply will not be paid back in full. So keeping this debt cycle alive keeps the working class stuck in their jobs unable to make better choices. For those who have built enough of a nest egg they say fuck work and take the medical care they need. And you say this is a bad thing. It's one of the few times the gov't has done something right for people. Of course it's not without outs gaping flaws either but surely this instance is praiseworthy for giving individuals more liberty!
The only gaping flaw I see is the one in your reasoning, that supposedly makes people mere meat puppets, completely dependent upon pop culture, the media and a consumerist society to tell them how to act.

If people want to go around playing victims of their own existence, that's not my problem.

There are people who work at sucky jobs they hate just to pay for their mortgage, rent, car payment, food, booze, clothes, vacations....

So perhaps we need an Affordable Lifestyle Act so that everyone can be freed from being a Wage Slave.

Forum List

Back