Jewish stereotypes ultrasensative or OK

This is the most confusing forum I have ever read. One person says one thing and then 16 different people reply with these little remarks that are disjointed and have nothing to do. I am the one who should be writing WTF.

Hi R&E people... I just searched the web for 10 minutes looking for the right forum to ask these things that are on my mind about this kind of religious thing I have been reading on the web for a couple months. I am not a frequent poster on discussion groups so I am not that familiar about how this works so I am just going to treat it like I am asking people their opinion about something at a party in real life. I actually would literally just ask people in real life that might be able to answer these hard questions I have but they get offended when I ask them. So first let me introduce myself like I'm meeting you in real life. I am a college student. My name is Britney. I am attractive I think (if that matters) and I dress well. I think people think I am smart. I have a good GPA and dont watch reality TV...LOL. I am not Jewish though I have some Jewish people in my extended family.

Why is it not ok to talk about Jewish stereotypes? For example I just asked a girl I know why the stereotype exists that Jewish people are cheap and she got extremely offended. I wasn't saying I believe they are cheap I was just asking why it exists. Jeeze louise.

This was all spurned because I was looking at this guy's blog. I was weirded about by it at first. This guy calls himself the annoying jew. He is Jewish. I have never seen anything like that. My first impression was that I was insulted and then I thought, hmm...this seems interesting and now I'm addicted to the disjointed things he writes about and I don't know why. I have been tempted to post on it but it still seems outrageous on some levels, or wrong to participate in it... AnnoyingJew.com

I don't know for sure whether this would be a good guy to ask anyway. I think I see the point of his blog sometimes but then other times it seems satirical and that's not what I am interested in.

Anyway my point of asking all this is that it seems everyone else can talk about the funny things about their religion except Jewish people. Are they the only ones that can even talk about the ideas in their religion that seem annoying to other people?

HELP. Please :)

Noticing that some demographics are different than other demographics and actually speaking about it has become taboo. PC has taken over and run critical thinking into the ground. Read " The Emporer has no clothes ". It'll give you an idea of what you are dealing with. Asking how certain sterotypes came to exist is not hateful. It is an atempt to understand.

an understanding of the rise of stereotype is one thing, concentrating on one particular one with a (as I perceive it) a goal of justifying it is another.
Stereotype is a convenient way of replacing thought with recycled bigotry.
Why do Arabs wear towels on their heads? it is a good plan if you live south of the Med. Every military force that has tried to function in the area has, usually after a very short time from the French Legion to the Africa corps to the 8th Army quickly adopted headgear that both lightweight and covered the neck in a 230* arc. For some cultural weirdnesses there are good reasons, For others, there are just weird traditions. Deal

an understanding of the rise of stereotype is one thing, concentrating on one particular one with a (as I perceive it) a goal of justifying it is another.
Stereotype is a convenient way of replacing thought with recycled bigotry.
Why do Arabs wear towels on their heads? it is a good plan if you live south of the Med. Every military force that has tried to function in the area has, usually after a very short time from the French Legion to the Africa corps to the 8th Army quickly adopted headgear that both lightweight and covered the neck in a 230* arc. For some cultural weirdnesses there are good reasons, For others, there are just weird traditions. Deal

Depends on the steroetype doesn't it ? If someone claim Asians are better at math I bet they wouldn't bitch if someone did a scientific study to determine if that were true or not.
Ignoring the strengths, weaknesses and patterns of social groups is ignorant. We all are members of lots of sub-groups and score high in some and low in others. They are just generalizations and not an excuse for treating any individual better or worse.
Overdoing politcal correctness is making us stupid. If the claim that diversity make us so strong, why can't we dicuss all aspects of it without being labeled bigots ?

I can handle the fact that I don't come out on top of every demographic ranking.

Whenever you start a thread asking if some minority group is ultra-sensitive about being stereotyped you're asking for trouble or completely culturally insensitive.

Stereotypes are usually based on ignorance. On the other hand, some people actually enjoy being as offensive as possible in hopes they are able to hurt and anger others.

Last edited:
Anyway my point of asking all this is that it seems everyone else can talk about the funny things about their religion except Jewish people. Are they the only ones that can even talk about the ideas in their religion that seem annoying to other people?

HELP. Please :)

You correctly observe that while you can poke fun at different groups, poking fun at Jews is "not allowed".

This is largely because Jews are vindictive and powerful. Look at the U.S. Congress and how many Jews are there. Look at the media and how many Jews are there. They've got the power to destroy anyone who names them by name.

Jews essentially don't allow criticism of themselves.

If I'm being dishonest, ask if any Jew would accept ANY criticism of Jews, as a group, as legitimate.

They won't.

This, to me, is why Jews have, throughout history, been "all or nothing" people in the societies they live in: they either take it over totally, or get removed totally. The fact that they allow for no middle ground forces the issue here. Say Jews had been willing to call off the communists in pre-WWII Germany, live in Germany as loyal Germans, and give up some of their banking/media/etc. power. But they wouldn't have been, probably.

Currently, Jews have basically replaced WASPs as the power center of America. Difference is that WASPs were wimpy and stepped down voluntarily.

Will Jews follow suit?

Stereotypes are a replacement for thought and observation. Depending on them or believing in them is never constructive.

This is not just a Jewish thing, it is also albanian, arkansanan, armenian, etc etc zimbabwaen good sense.

As a forinstance, I deal with muslims and orientals on a daily basis. None of whom conform to any preconceived notion of what they are supposed to be like, as opposed to us who are not them.

No on the subject of Jewish and thought, you might investigate a Jewish concept called "Loshen Hora." google it and read and learn. Essentially it is a prohibition and a study of gossip. One does not discuss people behind their backs. It is rude and it leads to lies.

So the basic rule is discussing stereotypes is discussing ways to be stupid, and gossip is sinful bad manners.

Listen to this Jew lecturing us on sin!

For starters, stereotypes about "zimbabweans" does not compare to talking about Jews. Stereotypes aren't really substitutes for thought... they're often accurate observations about group traits. Pretending they don't exist is not helping anyone.

Would you prefer we tell you off to your face? It's an idea. But it's often not any one individual Jew... it's the lot of them, working together. Bernie Madoff rips us off, the Hollywood characters poison minds, Charles Schumer bans the guns... they work together to keep us down.

Stereotypes are not accurate. They are generalizations, assumptions evolving out of ignorance and fear. Stereotypes are built on misinformation and bias. They tend to be overly negative.

Last edited:
Stereotypes are not accurate. They are generalizations, assumptions evolving out of ignorance and fear. Stereotypes are built on misinformation and bias. They tend to be overly negative.

According to you they might be however others may prefer to use alternative and acceptable defintitions.
Grab yourself a dictionary and check it out.

Show me a definition that says stereotypes are accurate representations of a group, dillo.

What stereotypes do you like?

•stereotype - pigeonhole: treat or classify according to a mental stereotype; "I was stereotyped as a lazy Southern European"
•stereotype - a conventional or formulaic conception or image; "regional stereotypes have been part of America since its founding"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Last edited:
Stereotypes of Jews are generalizations or stereotypes about Jews. Jewish people have been stereotyped throughout the centuries as scapegoats for a multitude of societal problems. Antisemitism continued throughout the centuries and reached a climax in the Third Reich during World War II. Jews are still stereotyped as greedy, nit-picky, stingy misers. They have been often shown counting money or collecting diamonds. Early films such as Cohen's Advertising Scheme (1904, silent) stereotyped Jews as "scheming merchants.".[1]

In caricatures and cartoons, Jews are often depicted having olive brown skin, curly hair, large hook-noses, thick lips, large dark-colored eyes and wearing kippahs. Common objects, phrases and traditions used to emphasize or ridicule Jewishness include bagels, playing violin, klezmer, undergoing circumcision, haggling and uttering phrases like "Mazal Tov", "Shalom" and "Oy Vey".
Stereotypes of Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stereotypes are a replacement for thought and observation. Depending on them or believing in them is never constructive.

This is not just a Jewish thing, it is also albanian, arkansanan, armenian, etc etc zimbabwaen good sense.

As a forinstance, I deal with muslims and orientals on a daily basis. None of whom conform to any preconceived notion of what they are supposed to be like, as opposed to us who are not them.

No on the subject of Jewish and thought, you might investigate a Jewish concept called "Loshen Hora." google it and read and learn. Essentially it is a prohibition and a study of gossip. One does not discuss people behind their backs. It is rude and it leads to lies.

So the basic rule is discussing stereotypes is discussing ways to be stupid, and gossip is sinful bad manners.

Listen to this Jew lecturing us on sin!

For starters, stereotypes about "zimbabweans" does not compare to talking about Jews. Stereotypes aren't really substitutes for thought... they're often accurate observations about group traits. Pretending they don't exist is not helping anyone.

Would you prefer we tell you off to your face? It's an idea. But it's often not any one individual Jew... it's the lot of them, working together. Bernie Madoff rips us off, the Hollywood characters poison minds, Charles Schumer bans the guns... they work together to keep us down.

So, you would like to stop Jews from entering discussions? Your continual Jew hatred posts show you to be of little use to any human discussion.

Rather you help provide a simple platform of hatred William Joyce.

And the entire premise of this thread makes no sense. Of course you can post and discuss Jewish stereotypes regardless of what "A Jew" writes.

D'oh

Ask a Jew one question and get ten answers. Of course there are kernels of truth to stereotypes and that's why they are supposed to be funny, not hurtful.

That's why those who are stereotyped turn it into humor.

The premise makes perfect sense. Some Jews are exceptionally quick to take offense and label people bigots.

The premise makes perfect sense. Some Jews are exceptionally quick to take offense and label people bigots.

Yes. Some are. Some of any people are quick to take offense when they feel under attack.

It's a human condition dillo, but to try and exclude the rest of humanity of this foible and then hoist it upon the backs of a singular people serves only to hoist ones self on ones own petard.

Yes. Some are. Some of any people are quick to take offense when they feel under attack.

It's a human condition dillo, but to try and exclude the rest of humanity of this foible and then hoist it upon the backs of a singular people serves only to hoist ones self on ones own petard.

It is a human condition. I think this poster wants to know why Jews do it. I have come across many people who find this to be true. Is it because you fear atttack more than others ? When I get called an anti-semite for questioning our foreign aid to Israel I think someone has gone over the top.

When I get called an anti-semite for questioning our foreign aid to Israel I think someone has gone over the top.

So, someone calls you an anti-semite for something you say. So what? It's discussion and far worse than that is said here.

That's the person's opinion. Attempting to attach that person's views to a declaration against what?

You being called an anti-semite to all the world's Jews being too sensitive?

Grow up.

Regarding stereotypes. Go to my profile and look at my nose.

:razz:

Last edited:
When I get called an anti-semite for questioning our foreign aid to Israel I think someone has gone over the top.

So, someone calls you an anti-semite for something you say. So what? It's discussion and far worse than that is said here.

That's the person's opinion. Attempting to attach that person's views to a declaration against what?

You being called an anti-semite to all the world's Jews?

Grow up.

Regarding stereotypes. Go to my profile and look at my nose.

:razz:
dillo is a little sensitive...

Forum List

Back