Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Interesting read. I agree in that the current state of affairs are similar

-Geaux
===================

Interview of Eri Hotta by Jeff Baron

1941-195x300.jpg
In Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy, Eri Hotta tells the story of how Japan’s leaders led their country into war with the United States even though virtually the entire Japanese national security establishment expected to lose. Reading Hotta’s account, I couldn’t help but wonder: Japan 1941, North Korea 2017? The DPRK almost certainly understands that should it go to war with the United States, it would lose. But would the North Koreans do it anyway, as the Japanese did? With these questions in mind, I interviewed the author of Japan 1941 to see if she saw parallels, or found lessons to be learned, from US efforts in 1941 to change Japan’s aggressive behavior in Asia and US efforts in 2017 to change North Korean policy and action on its nuclear and missile programs.

The focus of the discussion was the danger of unintended consequences. Our conversation focused on sanctions, how the mindset that war is inevitable imparts momentum that can make that outcome more likely, and what the off-ramp from this sprint to the abyss might look like. Hotta cautioned against simplistic and overly broad comparisons between Japan 1941 and North Korea 2017. But she suggests important lessons could be applied today from our experience 75 years ago—lessons in avoiding the outcome that nobody should want. Excerpts from our interview are printed below.[1]

Sanctions and the Apocalypse

Jeff Baron: How important were sanctions in Japan’s decision to strike first against the United States, including the oil embargo imposed by the US in August 1941, at a time that Japan got 93 percent of its oil from the US?

Eri Hotta: Very important, for two reasons.

First, the oil sanctions gave the younger, mid-level military officers, those tasked with developing military plans—and the people who really thought in apocalyptic terms—the basis to argue that war with the United States was inevitable: ‘Look, the US is squeezing us dry. Each day the Navy is burning 400 tons of oil—we’ll have less tomorrow than we have today. So the time to attack is sooner rather than later—we have to be able to attack while we’re still able.’

Even though there were those who were convinced Japan would be defeated, they couldn’t turn back because the move to war was practically on autopilot by then. Well, it had the appearance of being on autopilot, though of course the Emperor could have said, ‘I’m vetoing this decision.’ But the Emperor was worried about a coup d’etat if he did that.

The second reason is that when discussing sanctions, the senior people—the decision-makers in the cabinet and military—were afraid of appearing weak and indecisive in the eyes of the younger officers.

In truth, almost nobody in the right frame of mind actually wanted to go to war. It was a bluff that gained its own momentum. But having this resolve to go to war—and that’s quite different from being prepared to go to war—having the resolve to go to war can impart its own momentum.

More here;

Japan 1941, North Korea 2017? | 38 North: Informed Analysis of North Korea

The instant loss of NYC and LA would certainly put a dent in the snowflake population.

The instant loss of NYC and LA would certainly put a dent in the snowflake population.
If you think the little fat bastard intends to nuke NYC, LA, or any American city you need to think again. He may be crazy, but I doubt he has a death wish for himself and his country. Such an attack would result in complete incineration of NK, and they know it.

Plus...you must know that the American Deep State, Military Industrial Complex, and ruling Oligarchy need an enemy to continue enriching and empowering themselves. Do you fail to see the familiar pattern followed by these entities for decades?

If you think the little fat bastard intends to nuke NYC, LA, or any American city you need to think again. He may be crazy, but I doubt he has a death wish for himself and his country. Such an attack would result in complete incineration of NK, and they know it.

Plus...you must know that the American Deep State, Military Industrial Complex, and ruling Oligarchy need an enemy to continue enriching and empowering themselves. Do you fail to see the familiar pattern followed by these entities for decades?
I saw Bill Clinton and Barack Obama doling out big money to them.

Of course, they had to build an enemy so that the State could continue enriching and empowering themselves.

Of course, they had to build an enemy so that the State could continue enriching and empowering themselves.
At least you admit Uncle Bill and Bendover Barry gave comfort to the enemy.

You will find that I am very much disgusted by Bill and Barry. Both should be in Supermax, but so should W and his poppy.

You will find that I am very much disgusted by Bill and Barry. Both should be in Supermax, but so should W and his poppy.
Wouldn"t hurt my feelings.

The advent of nuclear weapons is a total game changer. Neither side will actually use their nukes.

Graham is already calling for military dependents to be evacuated from SK.

-Geaux

....where do they get the information on most of the ''security council'' thought they would lose?
and Yamamoto knew it would be difficult, but did not think they would definitely lose--losing being Japan being totally defeated/pounded/etc
...Japan was going to war thinking of a negotiated peace after taking the oil areas---not a total war win
...also, their major, overall strategy was the US navy would be whittled down by subs/etc as they sailed west--and then their would be a final naval battle --with Japan winning
..their plan was to capture an outer and inner ring of islands--for defensive purposes....

[QUOTEUnited States, but misunderstanding the potential resolve of the American public, Yamamoto asserted Japan’s only chance for victory lay in a surprise attack that would cripple the American naval forces in the Pacific and force the United States into a negotiated peace, thereby allowing Japan a free reign in greater East Asia. Any long war with the United States, Yamamoto believed, would spell disaster for Japan. Although he was not the author of the detailed plan to attack Pearl Harbor, he certainly championed it within government circles.][/QUOTE]
Yamamoto Isoroku | Japanese military officer

If this initial operation succeeds, Japan will be able to establish a firm basis for fighting an extended war even though American military preparations progress according to schedule. For Japan, through the occupation of strategic points in the Southwest Pacific, will be able to maintain an invincible front
Chapter III: Politico-Military Evolution Toward War
and Chapter 4

the Japanese Army WW2 was a big influence in going to war.....
[QUOTE
His advice, therefore, was to drop the Tripartite Pact and reach agreement with the United States.

The Army and other powerful forces in the Japanese Government did not share these views
][/QUOTE]
https://history.army.mil/books/70-7_04.htm

e “eventually succumbed to the persistent pressure of the military bureaucracy and accepted its argument that war with the United States was inevitable and possibly winnable.”86 Military opinion necessarily dominated
https://library.uoregon.edu/ec/e-asia/read/pub905.pdf
''winnable'' meaning a negotiated peace

the Japanese Army were doing well....they didn't really think in depth of naval/etc problems, strategy/etc

His people are already showing signs of radiation poisoning so he isn't going to stop unless by force.

Forum List

Back