Jame's word "humble" sounds like he is supporting Justification by Faith

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

What is humble?

1) not rising far from the ground
2) metaph.
a) as a condition, lowly, of low degree
b) brought low with grief, depressed
c) lowly in spirit, humble
d) in a bad sense, deporting one's self abjectly, deferring servilely to others

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Humble or "deporting one's self abjectly, deferring servilely to others" sounds like they don't deserve merit. In other words, James supports justification by faith because the humble rejected being a slave to Jesus by working. To the humble, Jesus gives grace.

Additional question: How do we become humble?

To recognize our sin, to recognize our condition, to reckon the old man to be dead, to die to ourselves, to be abased, to be a servant, to treat others better than ourselves and to get off the throne and let God be on the throne of our lives and to say the same things as God says. To depend upon God, to realize we can never earn salvation and understand that we were never good enough because the original Adam broke God's commandment and it took the perfect worker (Jesus) to keep the law and or the original covenant by which we are saved. I think the test of it is if we can confess Jesus before men because then we really have to be humble but you still have to be born from above:

Matthew 10:32 ¶ Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back