Jakarta attacks: at least six dead in series of 'suicide bombings'

'm still bugged by the, "Extremist Muslim" to be honest. I can't see how it fits....at the moment.

We all play a role on forums, commonly creating a persona, but that sometimes has to fall away in favour of real life and, when something like this happens, it's that time.

These bloody idiots are a stain on the whole world and must be destroyed as soon as possible.
There is some slightly good news out of this evil, the attackers are all dead, and the Indonesian anti terrorist forces are mobilised.
Last time something happened, every terrorist suspect they could think of was arrested, and any who resisted were shot dead without a second thought.
Indonesia wiped loads of them out, including all the ringleaders. That set the terrorist groups back years.
Indonesia tends to be a bit slow at first, but once the extremists wake up the authorities, the bastards are as good as dead.
It seems there are about 200 ex ISIS fighters returned to Indonesia, and I fully expect they'll be hunted down and attacked with everything the police and army has.
The last one they thought was going to blow himself up got a missile from a helicopter through his house roof, blowing the bastard to bits.
We can expect to see the Indonesian police and army blasting these idiots to pieces over the next few weeks.

:eusa_angel:
Okay, the emote is throwing me off .. :redface:

ummm, still throwing me off...

... anyway, I'm willing to wimp out for now...:wink_2:
Oh God, that emote did NOT look like that on my iPad screen :mad-61: . its gone now, my sincere apologies :)

Gee and here I thought it was kismet... I'm a little depressed now, it's lucky you caught me early ..:cry:

.. just kidding because, well, it is funny...I still respect you...no really, I do...:laugh:
Promise? :eusa_angel:

Sure Baby, I promise, don't you trust me?...:popcorn:

She who does not trust enough will not be trusted :wink_2:
Lao Tzu

I like that wisdom as well as yours but the perspective has changed.

I'll prove my trust..

'm still bugged by the, "Extremist Muslim" to be honest. I can't see how it fits....at the moment.

We all play a role on forums, commonly creating a persona, but that sometimes has to fall away in favour of real life and, when something like this happens, it's that time.

These bloody idiots are a stain on the whole world and must be destroyed as soon as possible.
There is some slightly good news out of this evil, the attackers are all dead, and the Indonesian anti terrorist forces are mobilised.
Last time something happened, every terrorist suspect they could think of was arrested, and any who resisted were shot dead without a second thought.
Indonesia wiped loads of them out, including all the ringleaders. That set the terrorist groups back years.
Indonesia tends to be a bit slow at first, but once the extremists wake up the authorities, the bastards are as good as dead.
It seems there are about 200 ex ISIS fighters returned to Indonesia, and I fully expect they'll be hunted down and attacked with everything the police and army has.
The last one they thought was going to blow himself up got a missile from a helicopter through his house roof, blowing the bastard to bits.
We can expect to see the Indonesian police and army blasting these idiots to pieces over the next few weeks.
Thank you, Indofred. It seems, at least this time, more terrorists than innocent people were killed.

Well, the role is just being true to yourself and knowing when your not.

Thank you for the inside few, I appreciate the perspective.

this is a surprising twist of events considering guns are so highly regulated

that there are no gun shops in the whole country

That isn't true. There are many gun clues and firearms sales are restricted but legal.

inforfred it most certainly is true

so wise up

--------------------

Gun politics in Indonesia (Indonesian: Politik senjata api di Indonesia) mainly focus on police vetting and qualifying citizens to own firearms instead of banning or restricting certain firearm models. Firearms are regulated by the Civilian Weapons & Firearms Department of the Indonesian National Police.
Indonesia doesn't have gun stores, and instead, civilian firearms are sold and handled by Weapons Officers of the Indonesian National Police. Regulations towards gun owners are outlined in the Firearms Code.
In the post-Suharto era, some Indonesian politicians have generally embraced gun ownership - especially those who belong to the Indonesian Democratic Party. However, the political and secterian violences have caused some concern and call for reforms in Indonesian firearms legislations. Islamist parties for example embrace gun ownership only for Muslims, and have called for the disarming of all non-Muslims in Indonesia

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Gun politics in Indonesia (Right to Bear Arms)[/FONT]

Oh God, that emote did NOT look like that on my iPad screen :mad-61: . its gone now, my sincere apologies :)

Gee and here I thought it was kismet... I'm a little depressed now, it's lucky you caught me early ..:cry:

.. just kidding because, well, it is funny...I still respect you...no really, I do...:laugh:

Lao Tzu

I'll prove my trust..
I'm so tired, I don't seem to understand anything

Lao Tzu

I'll prove my trust..
OK......I don't understand, so I'll post a joke:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Gun politics in Indonesia

That generally works, but there have been a few fails spread over several years.
Pretty much anyone (with enough cash) can buy a gun, but the police do very deep checks on applicants.
Guns are expensive here, and the ammo is at daft prices, so only the well off have any hope of owning a gun.
I'm looking at joining a pistol club, but I haven't decided as yet as finding time for hobbies is a problem at the moment.
I've seen a very nice old Browning 9mm semi auto I enjoyed playing with. maybe I'll go with one at some point in the future.

I almost forgot to mention, you can also obtain guns legally from the army, but only a very few can do this.

Gun politics in Indonesia

That generally works, but there have been a few fails spread over several years.
Pretty much anyone (with enough cash) can buy a gun, but the police do very deep checks on applicants.
Guns are expensive here, and the ammo is at daft prices, so only the well off have any hope of owning a gun.
I'm looking at joining a pistol club, but I haven't decided as yet as finding time for hobbies is a problem at the moment.
I've seen a very nice old Browning 9mm semi auto I enjoyed playing with. maybe I'll go with one at some point in the future.

I almost forgot to mention, you can also obtain guns legally from the army, but only a very few can do this.

in my original post i did not say guns are banned there

i said they are highly regulated (which they are )

and allowed them based on what the police chief of war dept decides

and that there are no gun shops there which there isnt

Actually, INDO might come from Indonesia and therefore know stuff ???

I'm British by birth, but have lived in Indonesia for quite a long time.
The country is populated with friendly people, but sadly also some bloody idiots, the latter being seen in action today.

This is a sad day for the people of this country, but I know the government is actively trying its best to separate the extremist element from their lives.
One wishes them "Good hunting".

It strikes me this world has many problem, flooding, famine, disease and poverty to name but a few, but these extremist fools spend their time, effort and money on creating more misery than there already is.
They're very foolish.

I feel quite humbled by your response, timing and such. I agree with your conclusions..

I'm still bugged by the, "Extremist Muslim" to be honest. I can't see how it fits....at the moment.
He's a Moooslem convert infected with Mad Muslim Disease engaging in Taquiyah. Do not be fooled.

Close, but no cigar.
There are no shops with firearms or ammunition, but gun clubs have both for sale, mostly private sales of guns, but the clubs sell ammunition.
These are very highly regulated and subject to very strict police vetting, but anyone with enough cash can visit a club.
Airguns and airsoft shops are all over the place.

Close, but no cigar.
There are no shops with firearms or ammunition, but gun clubs have both for sale, mostly private sales of guns, but the clubs sell ammunition.
These are very highly regulated and subject to very strict police vetting, but anyone with enough cash can visit a club.
Airguns and airsoft shops are all over the place.

only the cops and military can sell firearms and ammo

however that still remains highly regulated as my first post stated

ISIS in Syria tentacles reach Indonesia...

Police say Jakarta attack funded by IS in Syria
Jan 15,`16 -- An audacious attack in the heart of Indonesia's capital by suicide bombers was funded by the Islamic State group, police said Friday, as they arrested three men on suspicion of links to the plot and seized an IS flag from one of the bombers.
National police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti told reporters that Thursday's attack was funded by IS through Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian who spent one year in jail for illegal possession of weapons in 2011, and is now in Syria fighting for the Islamic State. Supporters of the Islamic State group also circulated a claim of responsibility for the attack on Twitter late Thursday. The radical group controls territory in Syria and Iraq, and its ambition to create an Islamic caliphate has attracted some 30,000 foreign fighters from around the world, including a few hundred Indonesians and Malaysians.

The IS link, if proved, poses a grave challenge to Indonesian security forces. Until now, the group was known only to have sympathizers with no active cells capable of planning and carrying out a plan such as Thursday's in which five men attacked a Starbucks cafe and a traffic police booth with hand-made bombs, guns and suicide belts. They killed two people - a Canadian and an Indonesian - and injured 20. The attackers were killed subsequently, either by their suicide vests or by police.

fb44247f3544449292c3afe8eff89b06_0-big.jpg

Security guards use metal detectors to check a visitor's bag outside a shopping mall near the Starbucks cafe where Thursday's attack occurred in Jakarta, Indonesia, Friday, Jan. 15, 2016. Indonesians were shaken but refusing to be cowed a day after a deadly attack in a busy district of central Jakarta that has been claimed by the Islamic State group.​

The attack "was funded by ISIS in Syria through Bahrun Naim," Haiti told reporters after Friday prayers, using an acronym for the Islamic State. He did not elaborate. He also identified one of the five attackers as Sunakim, who was once sentenced to seven years in jail for his involvement in military-style terrorist training in Aceh, but was released early.

Also Friday, police arrested three men at dawn in their homes in Depok on the outskirts of Jakarta, and more raids were being conducted in Java, Kalimantan and Sulawesi provinces based on evidence found at the scene, national police spokesman Maj. Gen. Anton Charliyan said. "Now we can be sure that it was the action of ISIS because ISIS' flag was found in the house of one of the suspects," he said. "Hopefully, the group's (other) members will be captured soon."

MORE

See also:

Jakarta attack a battle of bombs and perceptions
Jan 15,`16 ) -- The attack in Jakarta on Thursday was as much a battle of images and perceptions as it was an exchange of gunfire and explosions.
Indonesia's counterterrorism effort has had significant success over several years in degrading the capabilities of domestic militants to launch deadly attacks, creating a sense that the battle against Islamic militants was largely won. On one level, the attack in Jakarta was an attempt to change that narrative. The attackers captured worldwide publicity by carrying out the first deadly attack in Jakarta since 2009, weeks after authorities said they knew of a credible threat. Yet the low death toll - two victims and five attackers - highlighted their weaknesses and the ability of security forces to respond rapidly. Here's a look at other ways in which Islamic militants and the Indonesian government are handling the optics of the attack, and the broader issue of extremism in the world's largest Muslim-majority country:

INSTILLING FEAR

Above all else, the brazen nature of the attack in a busy commercial district in broad daylight was meant to terrorize and sow panic. Creating an atmosphere of fear and insecurity in a city of 10 million amplifies the impact of the attack well beyond the actual loss of life. Another intention is to galvanize supporters, creating momentum for further attacks. Jakarta, meanwhile, presented itself as a city unbowed by extremist attacks. Newspapers carried bold front-page headlines declaring the country united in its condemnation of the bombings.

LINKS TO ISLAMIC STATE GROUP

Police say the attack was linked to the Islamic State group, and that one of the five attackers had a black IS flag. Under siege from a sustained counterterrorism effort, Indonesia's militants have been seen as increasingly weak and fragmented. Their identification with the Islamic State group in distant Syria is an attempt to change those perceptions by linking to a network known for brutal, headline-grabbing attacks. Whether or not IS had a direct role in the attack, supporters of the group were quick to claim responsibility online, conveying a message that its international reach is growing.

9ac2927df85e425494fd7cd4a5661ef1_0-big.jpg

Police officers are deployed near the site of an explosion in Jakarta, Indonesia. Counterterrorism forces apparently did not anticipate Thursday’s attack, though authorities announced last month that they knew of a credible threat. Security personnel, however, were able to respond rapidly. That was partly luck _ police happened to be in the area on other business _ but it still bolstered the image of security forces and government.​

FAST RESPONSE

Counterterrorism forces apparently did not anticipate Thursday's attack, though authorities announced last month that they knew of a credible threat. Security personnel, however, were able to respond rapidly. That was partly luck - police happened to be in the area on other business - but it still bolstered the image of security forces and government. Indonesia's president Joko "Jokowi" Widodo rushed to the scene from another part of Java, one of Indonesia's main islands and home to the capital Jakarta. With a forceful condemnation and an appeal to national unity, he capitalized on an opportunity to project strength. Jokowi has struggled to assert his authority since being elected as a maverick candidate in July 2014.

SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT

Police were quick to draw a link with IS, saying the attackers were linked to Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian fighter in Syria. While that could play into the aims of the attackers, it could also pin responsibility on foreign influences and skirt questions about Indonesia's domestic counterterrorism strategy. Authorities have concentrated on hunting down the remaining most wanted Indonesian militants in remote locations while an IS-inspired network developed in Jakarta's suburbs.

News from The Associated Press

The long arm of ISIS...

Malaysia Arrests After Jakarta Attack Fuel Fears of Islamic State’s Reach
Jan. 16, 2016 - Police arrest four Malaysians on suspected ties to the terror group
Concerns that Islamic State militants in the Middle East are taking a direct hand in organizing terrorist attacks in Asia escalated Saturday after Malaysian police said they had arrested four suspects, one of whom was planning a suicide attack in the country. Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said in a statement its counterterrorism unit arrested the suspects, all Malaysians aged 23 to 28, between Jan. 11 and 15 in Kuala Lumpur and neighboring Selangor state.

The arrests came as Malaysian security officials put the country on high alert after five Islamic State-aligned militants staged bomb and gun attacks in Indonesia on Thursday. All were killed, some by exploding bombs they were carrying, along with two passersby. Indonesia police said Saturday it had arrested 12 suspected terrorists from Jan. 14-16 and that one suspect received “big” funding from Islamic State. Hundreds of Indonesians and Malaysians have made their way to the Middle East to fight with Islamic State in recent years, often passing through Turkey. Some have formed their own division, which they call the Malay Archipelago Combat Unit.

BN-MD368_2rnBv_M_20160116021407.jpg

A security guard standing in front of Malaysia's iconic Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur​

While effective police work blunted the potential effects of the Jakarta attacks and appears to have thwarted another assault in Malaysia, security officials say they are alarmed by the influence these fighters might have if they return home to Southeast Asia, as well as the impact they might have on those still in Malaysia and Indonesia. Malaysian officials, for instance, have detained over 120 people under the country’s antiterrorism laws since 2014.

Police said one of the four men arrested in the past few days admitted to planning an attack in Kuala Lumpur after receiving instructions from an Islamic State member in Syria. Arrested at a train station Friday, police said the 28-year-old man had raised the black Islamic State flag in several locations in Malaysia, in a warning to governments to stop arresting the group’s supporters.

MORE

See also:

Islamic State Militants Claim Deadly Attack in Jakarta
Jan 14, 2016 -- The scene had echoes of the Paris attacks: A bustling shopping area shaken by the blasts of suicide bombers and gunfire as onlookers fled in terror.
But when Thursday's assault in central Jakarta was over, the death toll was far lower. Of the seven killed, five were the attackers themselves and only two were civilians -- a Canadian and an Indonesian. Another 20 people were wounded. Still, authorities and analysts believe the violence that left the city of 10 million on edge for hours was a loud announcement of the Islamic State group's presence in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation. Supporters of the Islamic State group circulated a claim of responsibility on social media resembling the militants' previous messages.

The attackers carried handguns, grenades and homemade bombs and struck a Starbucks cafe and a traffic police booth in the Indonesian capital's highest-profile attack in six years. Authorities said they found a large, undetonated bomb and five smaller devices in a building near the cafe. "So we think ... their plan was to attack people and follow it up with a larger explosion when more people gathered," said Maj. Gen. Anton Charliyan, the spokesman of Indonesia's national police. "But thank God it didn't happen."

explosion-in-jakarta.jpg

A police armored vehicle is parked outside a Starbucks cafe after an explosion in Jakarta, Indonesia, Jan. 14, 2016. Attackers set off explosions at a Starbucks cafe in Indonesia's capital and waged gunbattles with police​

Jakarta police chief Maj. Gen. Tito Karnavian said the attackers had links with IS and were part of a group led by Bahrum Naim, an Indonesian militant who is now in Syria. "We have identified all attackers," Charliyan said. "We can say that the attackers were affiliated with the ISIS group," he added, using an acronym for the Islamic State group. The claim was shared on Twitter late Thursday, and the U.S.-based SITE Intelligence Group said it also was circulated among pro-IS groups on other media.

The message said attackers carried out the Jakarta assault and had planted several bombs with timers. It differed from Indonesian police on the number of attackers, saying there were four. It said they wore suicide belts and carried light weaponry. The statement could not be independently verified by The Associated Press, though it resembled previous claims made by the group, which controls territory in both Iraq and Syria.

MORE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back