Jahar Tsarnaev on Rolling Stone Cover - Rock Star?

Is this like Time magazine getting kicked for having Hitler as Man of the Year on the cover back when? or Osama bin Laden, Mussolini, Ayatollah Komeini (sp?), Gorbachev? There are more important things in the World than who's on the cover of Rolling Stone.

I can't get worked up about it either way.

Is this like Time magazine getting kicked for having Hitler as Man of the Year on the cover back when? or Osama bin Laden, Mussolini, Ayatollah Komeini (sp?), Gorbachev? There are more important things in the World than who's on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Not one of those guys was airbrushed into a 2013 version of Jim Morrison. Jahar, the new heart throb.

I agree with you that there are more important things in the World than who's on the cover of Rolling Stone, but still, it's like he's being glorified. Like I said, they should have used the picture of him in the Hospital or when they dragged his ass out of the boat.

I agree with you that there are more important things in the World than who's on the cover of Rolling Stone, but still, it's like he's being glorified. Like I said, they should have used the picture of him in the Hospital or when they dragged his ass out of the boat.

(My bold)

Yah, I used to work @ an advertising agency. Gotta tell you, there is nothing that warms the heart of a PR campaign more than the word of mouth when they do something outrageous & it catches fire with the public (goes viral, in the Internet age). Whether deliberate or not, malintentioned or not, you can console yourself: The people who know the story of the Tsarnaev brothers will give it a wide berth; the people who don't know the story might or might not pick it up & glance @ it. But there are lots of squirrels, bright shiny things lying around, their cell phone might go off, or maybe they'll suddenly yearn for a nice latte. More than likely, the prospective buyers will have their attention distracted, & never close the sale.

Morning Joe discussed this today.
Seemed they were saying that a kid who looked
just like the kid next door was part of such a heinous crime....

In a society where the young folks only care about things that are explained in short sound bites
will probably not read the article...

I'm sure the sale of this magazine will be huge because of all the young teen girls who will buy this
issue for the cover so they can pin it up on their bedroom wall because he looks so dreamy.

Bill Maher says that's the point: that evil can come in the form of a cute guy as well.

Ain't that the truth. And these two brothers were anti-government, but didn't mind milking it! I wonder how many conservatives that are anti government are secretly getting their little checks each month? :eusa_whistle:
Like Michelle Bachmann getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayer handouts for her "farm"?

The Tsarnaev brothers aren't anti government. They didn't attack some government facility. They are anti American people and made an attack directly on Americans.

What the Rolling Stone should have done, and what some publication should do, is have a photo of what Jahar really looks like before his pimples were airbrushed away, on the same cover as the 8 year old boy those brothers blew to bits, and not the smiling little tyke in the class photo either. The body of the child once the bombers had done their work. That's the face of the Tsarnaevs.

The Tsarnaev brothers aren't anti government. They didn't attack some government facility. They are anti American people and made an attack directly on Americans.

What the Rolling Stone should have done, and what some publication should do, is have a photo of what Jahar really looks like before his pimples were airbrushed away, on the same cover as the 8 year old boy those brothers blew to bits, and not the smiling little tyke in the class photo either. The body of the child once the bombers had done their work. That's the face of the Tsarnaevs.

The older brother, that was killed, is on record as having said to people "in Afghanistan most casualties are innocent bystanders killed by American soldiers" - and considered America to be the great "Satan", in spite of the fact that our country gave them both more opportunity than they would ever have gotten from their country, the troubled, poor Kyrgzstan or the country his ancestors came from Chechnya. That sounds a lot like someone who feels our country wasn't doing enough for them.

I agree that the picture they used makes him look like some sweet kid, and gives more fuel to the conspiracy theorists who claim that the attack was all staged by the government.

The older brother, that was killed, is on record as having said to people "in Afghanistan most casualties are innocent bystanders killed by American soldiers" - and considered America to be the great "Satan", in spite of the fact that our country gave them both more opportunity than they would ever have gotten from their country, the troubled, poor Kyrgzstan or the country his ancestors came from Chechnya. That sounds a lot like someone who feels our country wasn't doing enough for them.

I agree that the picture they used makes him look like some sweet kid, and gives more fuel to the conspiracy theorists who claim that the attack was all staged by the government.

(My bold)

No, the brothers identified as Chechen, but only dad was Chechen, their mom was Avar. Neither one of the brothers was born in Chechnia, they were born in Kalmykia & Kyrgstan, respectively. The Russians & then the USSR & now the Russians again are basically waging war on Chechnia. They've leveled the place, razed all the cities, destroyed cropland, forests, population centers, infrastructure. It's made the Chechens homeless, rootless, & prone to political violence, although typically against the Russians & their allies.

That area is a v. unsettled part of the World.

What the fuck would you know about his pimples?

Again, this is the same photo we saw at the time:

20130719-nyt-x600-1374258585.jpg

--- except the RS cover has THE BOMBER in big bold font and "monster" in the subline. Hard to fathom how that equates to "rock star".

(My bold)

No, the brothers identified as Chechen, but only dad was Chechen, their mom was Avar. Neither one of the brothers was born in Chechnia, they were born in Kalmykia & Kyrgstan, respectively.
I didn't say either one was born in Chechnia, I said their country Kyrgstan, because Jahar was born there, and apparently they both lived there at some time since Jahar was the younger one. They had ancestors from Chechnia, because as you pointed out, their father was from there.

The Russians & then the USSR & now the Russians again are basically waging war on Chechnia. They've leveled the place, razed all the cities, destroyed cropland, forests, population centers, infrastructure. It's made the Chechens homeless, rootless, & prone to political violence, although typically against the Russians & their allies.

That area is a v. unsettled part of the World.

Some people like to bite the hand that feeds them.

--- except the RS cover has THE BOMBER in big bold font and "monster" in the subline. Hard to fathom how that equates to "rock star".

Since Rolling Stone usually features "rock stars" on its cover, I was implying that they have given him the same status as a "rock star" - that doesn't mean that he is one.

I guess you didn't notice the question mark at the end of my OP?

The cover, a space usually designated for bonafide rock stars, features a prominent head-and-shoulders picture of Tsarnaev, with the title “The Bomber: How a Popular, Promising Student Was Failed by His Family.............
Is Rolling Stone's 'Bomber' Cover Offensive? - Top News - Los Gatos, CA Patch

Well, judging by the amount of discussion rolling stone have kicked up with this stunt, it looks like it's worked quite well. However, I for one won't be subscribing to the magazine.

Since Rolling Stone usually features "rock stars" on its cover, I was implying that they have given him the same status as a "rock star" - that doesn't mean that he is one.

I guess you didn't notice the question mark at the end of my OP?

The cover, a space usually designated for bonafide rock stars, features a prominent head-and-shoulders picture of Tsarnaev, with the title “The Bomber: How a Popular, Promising Student Was Failed by His Family.............
Is Rolling Stone's 'Bomber' Cover Offensive? - Top News - Los Gatos, CA Patch

Then you're injecting a premise that isn't a given. Doesn't explain, for example, Charles Manson. And moreover, the cover, and I'll say this until it sinks in, features the words THE BOMBER in big bold letters and refers to him as a "monster". That's all part of the same cover, yet you want to separate the photo -- which is an old photo, not one that RS posed-- as if it's the only element there. You don't think magazine readers can ... read?

Doesn't a provocative photo by definition invite the reader to find out who that subject is and what it's about? And does that curiosity not take you directly to the bolded words "THE BOMBER" and its subline?

Again, a simple undoctored photo. by itself, makes no comment; the comment is one that you're injecting from your own imagination. Basically you're pissed because a murderer turns out to be good-looking. But that's the reality, deal with it. No crazy old long-bearded swarthy towelhead cleric here; you don't get to insist that he fit the mold just because it's a model you're not used to.

I can understand stories about the Massachusetts bombers, the Tsarnaiev brothers, but do we have to elevate Jahar to Rock Star level by featuring on the front cover of Rolling Stones Magazine?

I think it is disgusting, and Rolling Stones should be ashamed for publishing the picture of Jahar Tsarnaev on their front cover. What do you think?

BOSTON, Mass. — Boston officials reacted with outrage Wednesday to an upcoming cover of “Rolling Stone” magazine featuring an image of accused marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev that was described by Mayor Thomas Menino as “a disgrace.”

While the magazine defended its decision, drugstore chain CVS Caremark Corp refused to sell it.

“It’s a total disgrace, that cover of Rolling Stone,” Menino told reporters at the opening of a rail station. “It should have been about survivors or first responders. Why are we glorifying a guy who created mayhem in the city of Boston? I am going to be in touch with the publishers and tell them how I feel about it.”

Rolling Stone cover photo of accused Boston bomber draws outrage ? Nation ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, contributing editor Janet Reitman delivers a deeply reported account of the life and times of Boston bomber Jahar Tsarnaev. Reitman spent the last two months interviewing dozens of sources – childhood and high school friends, teachers, neighbors and law enforcement agents, many of whom spoke for the first time about the case – to deliver a riveting and heartbreaking account of how a charming kid with a bright future became a monster. Here are five revelations about Tsarnaev from our latest cover story, "Jahar's World":

Boston Bomber: How Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Fell Into Radical Islam | Culture News | Rolling Stone

The powers that be at Rolling Stone and Tsarnaev:asshole: have one thing in common they are both douchebags. RS could have put a pic of Tsarnaev in his prison jumpsuit instead of a pic that makes him look like Jim Morrison. Nice going RS,lets glamourize a baby killing asshole. Now when some young and stupid reject follows in Tsarnaev's footsteps because he thinks you guys made it cool, the blood is on you're hands. They could have put a pic of the 8 year old bombing victim and highlighted what sports or tunage he liked, but nooo. Lets rub salt in the wounds of everybody injured,the grieveing families,the first responders,marathon runners,spectators,the entire city of Boston, to make a buck.

Rolling Stone should hang thier head in shame. I hope that issue rots on the shelves and subscription owners burn thier copy in protest. Anyone who buys or doesn't destroy that issue is just as guilty as RS in promoting terrorism.

I can understand stories about the Massachusetts bombers, the Tsarnaiev brothers, but do we have to elevate Jahar to Rock Star level by featuring on the front cover of Rolling Stones Magazine?

I think it is disgusting, and Rolling Stones should be ashamed for publishing the picture of Jahar Tsarnaev on their front cover. What do you think?

BOSTON, Mass. — Boston officials reacted with outrage Wednesday to an upcoming cover of “Rolling Stone” magazine featuring an image of accused marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev that was described by Mayor Thomas Menino as “a disgrace.”

While the magazine defended its decision, drugstore chain CVS Caremark Corp refused to sell it.

“It’s a total disgrace, that cover of Rolling Stone,” Menino told reporters at the opening of a rail station. “It should have been about survivors or first responders. Why are we glorifying a guy who created mayhem in the city of Boston? I am going to be in touch with the publishers and tell them how I feel about it.”

Rolling Stone cover photo of accused Boston bomber draws outrage ? Nation ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, contributing editor Janet Reitman delivers a deeply reported account of the life and times of Boston bomber Jahar Tsarnaev. Reitman spent the last two months interviewing dozens of sources – childhood and high school friends, teachers, neighbors and law enforcement agents, many of whom spoke for the first time about the case – to deliver a riveting and heartbreaking account of how a charming kid with a bright future became a monster. Here are five revelations about Tsarnaev from our latest cover story, "Jahar's World":

Boston Bomber: How Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Fell Into Radical Islam | Culture News | Rolling Stone

The powers that be at Rolling Stone and Tsarnaev:asshole: have one thing in common they are both douchebags. RS could have put a pic of Tsarnaev in his prison jumpsuit instead of a pic that makes him look like Jim Morrison. Nice going RS,lets glamourize a baby killing asshole. Now when some young and stupid reject follows in Tsarnaev's footsteps because he thinks you guys made it cool, the blood is on you're hands. They could have put a pic of the 8 year old bombing victim and highlighted what sports or tunage he liked, but nooo. Lets rub salt in the wounds of everybody injured,the grieveing families,the first responders,marathon runners,spectators,the entire city of Boston, to make a buck.

Rolling Stone should hang thier head in shame. I hope that issue rots on the shelves and subscription owners burn thier copy in protest. Anyone who buys or doesn't destroy that issue is just as guilty as RS in promoting terrorism.

And once again, the standing question you cannot answer: how does running a photo -- a neutral, undoctored photo -- "glamorize"? How does it "rub salt in the wounds"? Especially with the word "monster" sitting right on top of it?

Are you saying Tsarnaev doesn't look like what he looks like?

And once again, the standing question you cannot answer: how does running a photo -- a neutral, undoctored photo -- "glamorize"? How does it "rub salt in the wounds"? Especially with the word "monster" sitting right on top of it?

How does it glamourize? Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah lets put this damaged fucktard on a magazine that usually put galmorized rockstars ect on it's cover. Not even a pic that shows everyone that he's going to do hard time. How about one of the leaked photo's with the gun lazer on his head? Nope lets use a pic that makes him look cool and give him unneccessary attention. FYI there are people out there who find the monster comparison cool. The attention and the glamorization is a draw. All the nut jobs want to out do Kelbold,Harris,Holmes,Lanza and now Tsarnaev so lets put his face on the cover of a popular culture magazine so all the loons on the short bus can see how cool they can someday look when they become a mass murder.

How does it rub salt in the wounds? Seriously nobody is that stupid.
Tell you what, why don't you go to Boston,walk up to a first responder and ask him that question or better yet why not just ask the parents of Martin Richard.

How does it glamourize? Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah lets put this damaged fucktard on a magazine that usually put galmorized rockstars ect on it's cover. Not even a pic that shows everyone that he's going to do hard time. How about one of the leaked photo's with the gun lazer on his head? Nope lets use a pic that makes him look cool and give him unneccessary attention. FYI there are people out there who find the monster comparison cool. The attention and the glamorization is a draw. All the nut jobs want to out do Kelbold,Harris,Holmes,Lanza and now Tsarnaev so lets put his face on the cover of a popular culture magazine so all the loons on the short bus can see how cool they can someday look when they become a mass murder.

How does it rub salt in the wounds? Seriously nobody is that stupid.
Tell you what, why don't you go to Boston,walk up to a first responder and ask him that question or better yet why not just ask the parents of Martin Richard.

So again-- forced to confront the reasoning, you have no answer. Other than "are you fucking kidding me" and suggestions that I (who asked you the question) should go to Boston and ask them for an explanation of what you just said.

Just admit it -- you didn't think bother to this through.

Again, the ignored query: are you saying Tsarnaev does not look like what he looks like?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back