It's That Time Of Year Again...

My goal this year is to work out more with weights, the way I did in 2005. Just running is not enough to keep my muscle tone in my 40s, apparently. Dammit.

Good for you! I've been working out with weights for years now.

A little tip, take it easy when you first start out. I took a few weeks off from lifting over Christmas, and then yesterday I went and worked out again.

I just got out of the shower, I could barley lift my arms to wash my back! I lifted the same I always do, but because I hadn't lifted for a few weeks my body didn't take it the same way.

But man, I love working out and lifting, it gives you such an endorphin high when you are done, and does wonders for the body too! :cool:

I do music production on the side as a hobby and as a way to earn a couple extra bucks. I haven't dabbled much with it since I've had kids, but the people I work with are always calling me asking me to do some work. My creativity has been lacking lately, but if I'm going to make a resolution, it would be to spend more time on my music. It's hard to find the alone time I need to get working on something, but I've definitely copped out and made excuses. I'm going to devote more time to it this year because it's something that's always made me happy.

have you played around with Guitar Pro? I use that program to write out midi on a treble clef before taking each track through reason 3.0 or various effects programs.

Never used Guitar Pro. Most of what I do is hip hop, and I used to have a recording set-up in an apartment I rented a few years ago where I would record rock for some customers. I preferred doing vocals though because the room acoustics weren't perfect for live instruments. I had a fire that pretty much wiped me out, so now all I do is create instrumentals.

Never used Reason either. Mostly Acid, for vocals, and sometimes Cubase for processing effects.

Last edited:
I've sampled a ton of rock though for instrumentals. I made a bad ass track with some Welcome to the Machine samples.

if you do hip hop then check out Reason 3.0.. it's the goods. My only complaint is that I can't record a guitar wav directly into a track. This is why I have to use Guitar Pro and write out the music before importing into reason. It's great for placing drum loops too.

You should be able to record a live guitar track into a mix on Reason. As far as I've seen it's really no different than any other sequencer, besides whatever other features are unique to it.

Like, say you have a drum loop you made. Your next hot track would be your guitar recording, just like if you were doing a vocal take. What kind of sound card are you using? I have the M-Audio 1010LT, which is all you really need. I paid about $150 for it a couple years ago, it was one of the few things I was able to salvage from the fire incidentally. Most importantly, you want to have the required inputs. Theoretically you could use ANY sound card, because you could literally reduce your guitar's 1/4 down to 1/8 and use the 1/8 input which is on any sound card. Not that the quality would be good, but there's usually no limitations.

Before I got the new card, I'd reduce a crappy $50 mic's input down from 1/4 to 1/8 and record the crappiest sounding vocals. It was cool though, it was how I learned sequencing and processing before I shelled out the bucks on a good mic with XLR output.

Last edited:
I made a New Year's resolution years ago never to make any more New Year's resolutions. So far, so good.

I've never made one in my life...
sorry-3.gif

Forum List

Back