It's summertime and the living is easy

Good melons are hard to find in the stores. I grew about two acres of watermelons on my Grandfather's farm back in 1976, and sold them out of the back of a VW van for a dollar apiece.

Them was good melons.

Best ones I've had up here in Wisconsin come from a Mennonite family. They have a plot of sandy land down in the river bottoms. Yum.

I find that skipping the mowing and saying you are doing it to "save the bees" to be a tad more enjoyable.

I like the mini melons that are about the size of a cantaloupe.
Good melons are hard to find in the stores. I grew about two acres of watermelons on my Grandfather's farm back in 1976, and sold them out of the back of a VW van for a dollar apiece.

Them was good melons.

Best ones I've had up here in Wisconsin come from a Mennonite family. They have a plot of sandy land down in the river bottoms. Yum.
Festival Foods (a Wisconsin family) had mini melons last week. Don't know if they are locally sourced.

Them was good melons.

Most store bought commercial produce is substandard just because it is cultivated to withstand transportation and to last. That's why tomatoes are generally pithy and have thick skins, likewise watermelons. Best bet is to buy from farmers markets. A wedge cut out and a quart of cheap vodka poured into the watermelon makes it even more refreshing but keep it away from kids.

I find that skipping the mowing and saying you are doing it to "save the bees" to be a tad more enjoyable.
Health tip for lawn mowers.....

In the springtime especially, pick as many dandelions as you can ( as long as they've never been sprayed with chemical fertilizer or pesticides).

They're supposed to be one of the healthiest foods you can eat. ( or drink if you make tea).

now there will be no warm summer, the left-wing crooks have spoiled the climate.

Forum List

Back