It's snowing

I'm in those mountains and haven't seen snow. Think you'd have to be up above 4000 feet or so.

I went on a scary ride in the back seat up to Mountain City a few times. Probably the scariest thing ever as a kid. Youre just crcling around a mountain til you get to the top. What's worse is you can see down and everything below you. Really close to the edge, too.
I'm in those mountains and haven't seen snow. Think you'd have to be up above 4000 feet or so.

I went on a scary ride in the back seat up to Mountain City a few times. Probably the scariest thing ever as a kid. Youre just crcling around a mountain til you get to the top. What's worse is you can see down and everything below you. Really close to the edge, too.

Is that in TN? If it is, my ex Step daughter and her husband own a Christmas tree farm there.

Is that in TN? If it is, my ex Step daughter and her husband own a Christmas tree farm there.

Yeah.
I don't know how many Christmas tree farms there are up there, but in the Boone area, there are several, so you might not know the farm I'm referring to. She also takes care of the landscaping for several businesses both in that area and in Boone. Now she's getting busy making wreaths from the branches of the trees. They have a crew who comes in for the season and helps with the cutting and netting of the trees. They're hard workers and she keeps telling me to come up and get a tree from them at no cost, but it's a pretty long drive for me and I have an artificial tree that has a real wood and bark trunk and looks like it came from the woods. It's a skinny tree and I really like it. And, it doesn't shed.

welcome to my world...>>
Wendy-Chao-as-Ski-Bunny.jpg

Yeah.
I don't know how many Christmas tree farms there are up there, but in the Boone area, there are several, so you might not know the farm I'm referring to. She also takes care of the landscaping for several businesses both in that area and in Boone. Now she's getting busy making wreaths from the branches of the trees. They have a crew who comes in for the season and helps with the cutting and netting of the trees. They're hard workers and she keeps telling me to come up and get a tree from them at no cost, but it's a pretty long drive for me and I have an artificial tree that has a real wood and bark trunk and looks like it came from the woods. It's a skinny tree and I really like it. And, it doesn't shed.

I left there at around 1978. I donlt now much about how the areas have developed, but I do drive down there once in a while. We still have the land,too, 144 acres, I lived on the line where north east Tennessee meets south west Virginia, near the Cherokee National Forest.But most of the property is on the Va side of the river. It has a trout river and a spring with in carryig distance to the home place. It's nice. The most beatiful place in the world I've been to anyway. It was a bonus to live there, too. There's beautiful waterfalls there. Majestic even.

Kittymom, it's the one place I can ramble on forever about. And you can probably already tell,too, right?

About the tree farm, though, good trees come out of that area of the country. I think the tree farms down there are pretty. It's like you're in the forest picking out a tree, because, you know, it's already all mountains and woods anyway. lol. Plus tey usually have coffee, hot chocolate, a fire burning, then they make the wreaths, too, that's always a nice area of the tree farm, lots of other crafts in that area, too. Sometimes they even have good baked good. Cookies, bread, cake, stuff like that.

I can't wait for more snow.
Nothing like ripping the snowmobile trails near me.

Never been on a snowmobile before. I know a guy who lost his foot on one, though. Apparently his foot hung off to the side at the very same time he was passing a tree stump poking out of the snow.
My son broke his femur years ago crossing a lake. Hit a pressure ridge under fresh show and thrown from sled. He had to ride it off lake a mile till we could pack him in vehicle. Has a permanent rod in his leg.
I have a plate in my wrist from a dirtbike. We are a little nuts about our machines.
Nothing cooler than hitting high speed in fresh powder or hitting over 100 mph on a lake. Trail system is just down the ditch from home. Trail system is awesome if there is snow and they can run groomers.

Yeah.

I left there at around 1978. I donlt now much about how the areas have developed, but I do drive down there once in a while. We still have the land,too, 144 acres, I lived on the line where north east Tennessee meets south west Virginia, near the Cherokee National Forest.But most of the property is on the Va side of the river. It has a trout river and a spring with in carryig distance to the home place. It's nice. The most beatiful place in the world I've been to anyway. It was a bonus to live there, too. There's beautiful waterfalls there. Majestic even.

Kittymom, it's the one place I can ramble on forever about. And you can probably already tell,too, right?

About the tree farm, though, good trees come out of that area of the country. I think the tree farms down there are pretty. It's like you're in the forest picking out a tree, because, you know, it's already all mountains and woods anyway. lol. Plus tey usually have coffee, hot chocolate, a fire burning, then they make the wreaths, too, that's always a nice area of the tree farm, lots of other crafts in that area, too. Sometimes they even have good baked good. Cookies, bread, cake, stuff like that.

I can see why you love it. I grew up in western PA (Latrobe) and was surrounded my mountains. My grandparents lived in Ligonier, which is at the foothill of a mountain. I always feel better when I'm in the mountains. Funny story.....I had a great uncle who lived on a mountain in PA. It was the same one that my grandparents lived on. anyhow, he made moonshine and lived way up on that mountain. If you didn't know you when you wet to his house, then you had better turn back around as fast as you could and fly on back down the mountain. He would sit on his front porch with his shotgun across his lap and it would be ready to great any strangers who might show up. The first time I heard the song, Copperhead Road, I thought of him. His wife was my grandmother's sister. He was my grandfather's cousin. Daddy would always have a mason jar of his moonshine in the house. Family always got free samples.
True story......he and my Aunt stopped talking to each other one day and never said a word to each other for 10 years. They still lived in the same house, slept in the same bed, she cooked for him and washed his clothes, but they would tell one of the kids to tell the other one what they had to say....even if they were in the same room. I was really young when that happened and they might have even had another baby during that time. anyhow, all of a sudden, one day they started talking to each other again. I'm still FB friends with the kids and grandkids, and they still live pretty much in that area, but haven't carried on the family tradition of making moonshine.

I can't wait for more snow.
Nothing like ripping the snowmobile trails near me.

Never been on a snowmobile before. I know a guy who lost his foot on one, though. Apparently his foot hung off to the side at the very same time he was passing a tree stump poking out of the snow.
My son broke his femur years ago crossing a lake. Hit a pressure ridge under fresh show and thrown from sled. He had to ride it off lake a mile till we could pack him in vehicle. Has a permanent rod in his leg.
I have a plate in my wrist from a dirtbike. We are a little nuts about our machines.
Nothing cooler than hitting high speed in fresh powder or hitting over 100 mph on a lake. Trail system is just down the ditch from home. Trail system is awesome if there is snow and they can run groomers.
I used to go skiing at Seven Springs in PA and we would go snowmobiling at night after the slopes were closed to the skiers. Six of us girls rented a house there for the season and one of them was dating one of the sons of the family who built skido's. He was very rich and had a private chateau up there and had access to the slopes after they closed. It's a wonder any of us survived those nights because the guys would fly down the mountain at breakneck speeds. None of us ever crashed though, which is a miracle.

Where is this? It reminds me of Ligonier, PA. There's a gazebo in the center of town and four roads coming into it and then the road circles around it.
This is it at Christmas time. I grew up 8 miles from there in Latrobe, but my grandparents, some Aunts and Uncles and cousins lived there too. My dad and his brothers used to help hang the lights.

20171213-FH1B4198-Recovered-5.jpg
1-91-700x470.jpg

Forum List

Back