It's over. I put a man in prison for the rest of his natural life.

I wonder if the line cops like to use on DUIIs who are hysterical and sobbing that their lives will be ruined works on someone who's been handed a life sentence?

"Hey, don't feel bad...this could really be a turning point in your life!"

I wonder if the line cops like to use on DUIIs who are hysterical and sobbing that their lives will be ruined works on someone who's been handed a life sentence?

I will say, in the nine hours of deliberation, we struggled with whether it was 1st degree or Second. We had very specific guideline to follow to determine what each was of course. I learned something too...I did not know premeditation could be a matter of literally seconds. It just meant that he gave a second thought to what he was doing and yet still proceeded.
It was a fascinating experience all in all, and fills one with a great sense of patriotism.

When he was given his sentence, he was unremorseful.

We are all better off one less dangerous asshole is off the streets. The prosecutors, detectives and police did a fine, fine job, I must say.

I will say, in the nine hours of deliberation, we struggled with whether it was 1st degree or Second. We had very specific guideline to follow to determine what each was of course. I learned something too...I did not know premeditation could be a matter of literally seconds. It just meant that he gave a second thought to what he was doing and yet still proceeded.
It was a fascinating experience all in all, and fills one with a great sense of patriotism.

We are all better off one less dangerous asshole is off the streets. The prosecutors, detectives and police did a fine, fine job, I must say.

Was death a possibility?

Was death a possibility?
The sentence for 1st degree murder in my state was not known to me going into the trial. The judge informed us we are not to be concerned what the punishment would be should we find him guilty.

We do have the death penalty in our state, but as I have learned since, it is only for Capital Murder. The legislators set the guidelines, and the judge followed them: Life, without parole.

Was death a possibility?
The sentence for 1st degree murder in my state was not known to me going into the trial. The judge informed us we are not to be concerned what the punishment would be should we find him guilty.

We do have the death penalty in our state, but as I have learned since, it is only for Capital Murder. The legislators set the guidelines, and the judge followed them: Life, without parole.

Only trial I've been a jurest in was a DUI trial.

I talked everyone into letting the lady off....

She was sitting in her car waiting for her husband to pick her up and a cop busted her.

I just couldn't see convicting her for something I felt was an unfair law. The evidence was questionable as well.

I am glad you feel proud of doing your civic duty Paperview. I've been called up 3 times, and each time they called me the night before and said not to come in.

Why people are ragging on you I have no idea. If you were making excuses to GET OUT of Jury Duty, I could see people ragging on you, but for the fact that you did what you were supposed to do, and they still are bitching?

:confused:

The hardest part, I must say, was I was not allowed to learn anything about the case, in any way. I was under court order to walk away if I saw the case being discussed in the media in any way, newspaper, TV, internet - or if I was in the presence of anyone who was talking about it.
I could not google, I could not say a word for nearly three weeks.

It's a bit cathartic now for me to finally share and to help release the build-up of thoughts and emotions. Seeing the bloody autopsy photos had to be the worst. That I know will stay with me.

Hearing the cries in the courtroom as the case was discussed will never leave my ears...but it was certainly enriching to hear the gasps and cries and the outpouring of "thank god justice was served" after we read our verdict.
The family and friends can now begin to find closure.

She was sitting in her car waiting for her husband to pick her up and a cop busted her.

I just couldn't see convicting her for something I felt was an unfair law. The evidence was questionable as well.

As a juror, you are not supposed to rule based upon whether or not you agree with the law, but based upon whether or not the law was broken.
You obviously didn't pay attention during the judges instructions.

As a juror, you are not supposed to rule based upon whether or not you agree with the law, but based upon whether or not the law was broken.

The evidence was highly questionable. I tended to believe the lady in question not an overzealous cop. They never proved she was drunk.

She failed the sobriety test in my opinion because the cop scared the fuck out of her. She showed that she was a nervous wreck in court as well.

Last edited:
I am glad you feel proud of doing your civic duty Paperview. I've been called up 3 times, and each time they called me the night before and said not to come in.

Why people are ragging on you I have no idea. If you were making excuses to GET OUT of Jury Duty, I could see people ragging on you, but for the fact that you did what you were supposed to do, and they still are bitching?

I know. It's a total WTF?

I also know, if I was a conservative, the thread would not be populated by the resident bitter assholes bitching cause someone talked about their service in a First Degree murder trial.

Then again, I wonder how many conservatives would give up nearly three weeks of income and drive an hour every day to the court house for 10 bucks a day.
(yes, I know some would...)

The evidence was highly questionable. I tended to believe the lady in question not an overzealous cop.
You should have left that other sentence out then.
Sounds like you are just trying to justify your opinion of the law, not judge the case on facts alone.

I also know, if I was a conservative, the thread would not be populated by the resident bitter assholes bitching cause someone talked about their service in a First Degree murder trial.

Then again, I wonder how many conservatives would give up nearly three weeks of income and drive an hour every day to the court house for 10 bucks a day.

Don't get into the neckbiting yourself.

The evidence was highly questionable. I tended to believe the lady in question not an overzealous cop.
You should have left that other sentence out then.
Sounds like you are just trying to justify your opinion of the law, not judge the case on facts alone.

The fact that I thought the law was unfair is secondary to the evidence presented.

By the way, I really don't need a lecture tonight.

Don't get into the neckbiting yourself.
I know... I initially typed after that :: "(ya, that was sort of a cheap shot)" - then deleted it and changed it to ...yes, some would.

But you are right. I take it back. Thank you for centering me.

The fact that I thought the law was unfair is secondary to the evidence presented.

Yes you do. :lol:

That's a matter of opinion. You really don't know the case nor what happened and frankly you're jumping to conclusions without hearing the full story.

Seriously, I don't need some message-board lawyer telling me about the law.

That's a matter of opinion. You really don't know the case nor what happened and frankly you're jumping to conclusions without hearing the full story.

He is right though.

Maybe he doesn't need a lecture either. :lol:

Maybe he doesn't need a lecture either. :lol:

Maybe he needs to refine his statement.

But he does need to be told that his half-baked opinion really doesn't matter a damn in the balance of things.

Forum List

Back