It's official, Martin survived the vote

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Talk about your close ones. Looks like he's here for another year.

Federal Liberal government survives key confidence vote, averts election

Canadian Press

May 19, 2005

OTTAWA (CP) - Paul Martin's fragile Liberal minority government has narrowly averted an election, winning two confidence votes in the House of Commons.

The government easily survived a vote on a bill to implement the federal budget as MPs voted 250-54 in favour.

But they barely squeaked out a victory on a second bill - to add $4.6 billion in spending to the budget - winning 153-152 only after the Speaker cast the deciding vote.

Either confidence motion could have brought down the government.

The Liberals needed the support of Independent MP Chuck Cadman. His support secured a tie against the Conservatives and the Bloc Quebecois, and allowed the Speaker - a Liberal - to break the tie.

The win is a huge relief for the Liberals after weeks of savage political trench warfare on Parliament Hill.

Cadman became the Liberals' last hope after fellow Independent David Kilgour announced that he would oppose the government in the second of the two confidence votes.

So close were the deadlocked ranks of Liberal and New Democrat MPs arrayed against those of the Conservatives and Bloc that the vote result provided a first in Canadian history - the Speaker of the Commons wading in as tie-breaker on a confidence vote.

Continued

Said1 said:
Oh, there will be, but he's safe for now. Unless it's really bad, like sleeping with Belinda, then giving her a job in his cabinet. :D
I've been trying to brush up on Canadian politics lately, and I notice Belinda has just ratted on her party, and gotten a cabinet post. I would think she is the one owed services of her choosing at the moment, in addition to the cabinet post if she wants them. They should sent for me to perform these services. I wait ready to my utmost for the great nation of Canada, my own county's treasured neighbor!

USViking said:
I've been trying to brush up on Canadian politics lately, and I notice Belinda has just ratted on her party, and gotten a cabinet post. I would think she is the one owed services of her choosing at the moment, in addition to the cabinet post if she wants them. They should sent for me to perform these services. I wait ready to my utmost for the great nation of Canada, my own county's treasured neighbor!

She's pretty cute, I'll at least give her that much. :D

Forum List

Back