Its Noon On Thursday, Did Obama's Justice Department Turn in Their Homework?

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
If you don't know what I'm talking about here is the raw information.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McbataTFdcU]5th Circuit Court audio - YouTube[/ame]

Judge Smith said:
Does the Department of Justice recognize that federal courts have the authority, in appropriate circumstances, to strike federal statutes because of win or more constitutional infirmities?

I'm referring to statements by the president in the past few days to the effect, and I'm sure you've heard about them, that it is somehow inappropriate for what he termed "unelected judges" to strike acts of Congress that have enjoyed -- and he's referring of course to Obamacare -- to what he termed a "broad consensus and majorities in both houses in Congress." That has troubled a number of people who have read it as somehow a challenge to the federal courts or to their authority or to the appropriateness of concept of judicial review. And that's not a small matter.

I would like to have from you by noon on Thursday -- that's about 48 hours from now -- a letter stating what is the position of the Attorney General in the Department of Justice in regard to the recent statements by the president, stating specifically and in detail in reference to those statements what the authority is of the federal courts in this regard in terms of judicial review. That letters needs to be at least three pages single-spaced, no less, and it needs to be specific.

If you don't know what I'm talking about here is the raw information.

5th Circuit Court audio - YouTube

Judge Smith said:
Does the Department of Justice recognize that federal courts have the authority, in appropriate circumstances, to strike federal statutes because of win or more constitutional infirmities?

I'm referring to statements by the president in the past few days to the effect, and I'm sure you've heard about them, that it is somehow inappropriate for what he termed "unelected judges" to strike acts of Congress that have enjoyed -- and he's referring of course to Obamacare -- to what he termed a "broad consensus and majorities in both houses in Congress." That has troubled a number of people who have read it as somehow a challenge to the federal courts or to their authority or to the appropriateness of concept of judicial review. And that's not a small matter.

I would like to have from you by noon on Thursday -- that's about 48 hours from now -- a letter stating what is the position of the Attorney General in the Department of Justice in regard to the recent statements by the president, stating specifically and in detail in reference to those statements what the authority is of the federal courts in this regard in terms of judicial review. That letters needs to be at least three pages single-spaced, no less, and it needs to be specific.

Dog ate it......

Signed 'my mother....'

I just sent the following letter to the Justice Department and a copy to the President

You're actually going to comply with the demands of this judge who demands that you account for in writing for what President Obama has said ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Complying with this BS would set a very dangerous precedent. This idiot judge who is so stupid he doesn't even know that the courts DO NOT HAVE JURISDICTION OVER CAMPAIGN SPEECHES should have been told to go to f... hell right then and there. He should have been told that the President will say whatever he damn well pleases while he is on the CAMPAIGN TRAIL and he should have been told that that if he doesn't like it then that is just too damned bad. (ok, maybe not quite that blunt, but that's what he should have been told)

His calling the Affordable Health Care act "Obamacare" would alone be reason to be removed from the case. But with his absurd, stupid, idiotic, arrogant demand that President Obama, or anybody, account for what President Obama says on the CAMPAIGN TRAIL he should be impeached.

Yeah they'll be sure to use that letter in the contempt charge brought against the attorney who got the order.

I just sent the following letter to the Justice Department and a copy to the President

You're actually going to comply with the demands of this judge who demands that you account for in writing for what President Obama has said ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! Complying with this BS would set a very dangerous precedent. This idiot judge who is so stupid he doesn't even know that the courts DO NOT HAVE JURISDICTION OVER CAMPAIGN SPEECHES should have been told to go to f... hell right then and there. He should have been told that the President will say whatever he damn well pleases while he is on the CAMPAIGN TRAIL and he should have been told that that if he doesn't like it then that is just too damned bad. (ok, maybe not quite that blunt, but that's what he should have been told)

His calling the Affordable Health Care act "Obamacare" would alone be reason to be removed from the case. But with his absurd, stupid, idiotic, arrogant demand that President Obama, or anybody, account for what President Obama says on the CAMPAIGN TRAIL he should be impeached.

He wasn't on the Campaign Trail.
It was a news conference on the WH lawn.

Although I think the author of the OP is a bit off the rails in his rhetoric, I will say again (since I voiced the opinion my own self, earlier): I think the "request" by those judges for a letter from the DOJ IS actually a bit out of bounds.

I'd be more than happy to see Holder knuckle under.

But as a matter of principle, I don't think I'd "honor" the "request."

Well, it seems obvious that when a judge requests you clarify a department position, it's probably good to do so, especially when it involves an ongoing case.

CNN-legal-analyst-Jeffrey-Toobin-via-YouTube-screenshot.jpg

Holder already said they'd comply, but what they say doesn't mean shit.

they're all lying pigs.

I can understand those that do thinking that Obama can lie if he wants to. I understand that it is up to each listener to discern the truth. I understand that free speech allows people to lie about anything. However, when the President of the United States tells such outlandish lies about the duties and authority of the Judicial Branch in such a way as to broadcast the lie through the media and totally mislead listeners regarding what the Supreme Court can and cannot do, what the Supreme Court has already done hundreds of times...it's time for the arrogant ass to get educated.

I believe the "request" for the letter comes more in the form of an ORDER than a DO ME A FAVOR AND TELL ME IN WRITING WHAT YOU MEANT.

Perhaps we'll see Holder indicted for contempt.

The 5th Circuit Court Scolds Obama – Then Schools Him | The Gateway Pundit

Posted by Andrea Ryan on Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 10:36 PM

By: Andrea Ryan

I will not throw spitballs at the Supreme Court… I will not throw spitballs at the Supreme Court… I will not throw spitballs at the Supreme Court… Repeat this statement fifty more times, President Obama, single-spaced, on three pages, by Thursday.
This is what happens when our Constitutional lecturer president stands on the White House lawn and astoundingly challenges the authority and credibility of the Supreme Court; he gets issued a homework assignment on the fundamentals of our Constitution.

Although I think the author of the OP is a bit off the rails in his rhetoric, I will say again (since I voiced the opinion my own self, earlier): I think the "request" by those judges for a letter from the DOJ IS actually a bit out of bounds.

I'd be more than happy to see Holder knuckle under.

But as a matter of principle, I don't think I'd "honor" the "request."

The President REMAINS wrong for commenting (.)

He has to comply or risk possible impeachment.

Do you think the President is above a court order?

Forum List

Back