It’s illegal to convict & sentence secretly to the accused, or to sentence outside defined parameter

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by northpolarbear, Oct 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. northpolarbear

northpolarbear Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It’s illegal to convict & sentence secretly to the accused, or to sentence outside defined parameter.

Is it legal for a judge to sentence a ridiculous type or amount of punishment, or do they have to follow per-authorized options? - Avvo.com

Quoting from Avvo.com from lawyers on the question "Is it legal for a judge to sentence a ridiculous type or amount of punishment, or do they have to follow per-authorized options? For example, "this type of punishment is legal to sentence for that illegal act" & "that type of punishment is illegal to sentence for that illegal act". Does this kind of safety exists in the laws? Is it legal or illegal for a judge to sentence outside the punishments she is legally allowed to sentence?"

Lawyer 1: "If you mean jail time, each crime has a maximum sentence depending on what level crime it is."

Lawyer 2: "The Penal Law defines the parameters within which a judge can sentence a defendant. It provides whether jail is mandatory or optional, and the minimum and maximum amount which can be given."

Lawyer 3: "The type of crime will have it's own sentencing maximums set by statute. The judge can sentence you up to the maximum if she believes the facts & circumstances warrant it. If you're next court date is for sentencing, I'm sure you already realized your mistake in defending a criminal charge without one. If that's the case, hire a lawyer immediately!"

Is it legal for a law to process an accusation & convict me secretly without me knowing accusation, trial, sentencing happening? - Avvo.com

Quoting from Avvo.com from lawyers on the question "Is it legal for a law to process an accusation & convict me secretly without me knowing accusation, trial, sentencing happening? Is that even legally valid? I thought there were laws on False Imprisonment, Fair Trial, etc."

Lawyer 1: "Likely, you were notified and either ignored the summonses or didn't get them. Either way, nobody in this country is charged, tried, and convicted in secret."

Lawyer 2: "You are entitled to know the charges against you and be present for all material parts of your case."

Lawyer 3: "The law provides for secret proceedings to indict or charge a defendant, but convicting someone requires a public trial."

Lawyer 4: "You have a right to be present for all court hearings after you're charged. However, if you have a problem showing up, sometimes the judge will give a "Parker" warning that basically says they can proceed without you.

Depending on the facts you may or may not have a legitimate claim to set aside the conviction. You should discuss this with your lawyer."

2. shadow355

shadow355 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +765

Where did you get your law degree at? You "Babble" at so much legal topics it is ridiculous, and equally funny at some of your posts.

No - I am not a lawyer. But I can read - interpret and deduce.

Individuals being convicted and/or sentenced "In absentia" happens in many countries.

Why don't you find a legal website / board.... to ask ridiculous questions.

In Absentia Law & Legal Definition

Rendition Fallout: Former CIA Officer Convicted in Absentia by Italy Possibly Arrested in Portugal

The rest of the research is on you. Google and ask.com are great internet assets - I suggest you use them.

Shadow 355

3. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,484
    The cut and paste bull crap is getting really old.

4. Toddsterpatriot

Toddsterpatriot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,200
    Turn yourself in already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,746