It's Been Nice To Know Ya(The Pain of Hermaine)

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
i just can't thank y'all enough for all the cards and letters and posts wishing me well. With the eye predicted to go over the top of my house, I just wanted to,express my gratitude for the continued support from usmb in case the wife and I don't make it through the night. The weather channel gives me 50/50 chance of surviving this monster. Like Gordon Lightfoot sang in the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald when the boat was going down the cook told the rest of the crew, "it's been good to know ya". Please keep the torch held high at usmb

i just can't thank y'all enough for all the cards and letters and posts wishing me well. With the eye predicted to go over the top of my house, I just wanted to,express my gratitude for the continued support from usmb in case the wife and I don't make it through the night. The weather channel gives me 50/50 chance of surviving this monster. Like Gordon Lightfoot sang in the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald when the boat was going down the cook told the rest of the crew, "it's been good to know ya". Please keep the torch held high at usmb

It's a catagory 1

it will be a bit windy 80-85mph

don't you have shutters or shades that lower over your windows?

My goodness, imagine potential wind gusts of 76 miles per hour in hurricane season in Florida. I watched the hurricane hyped on the weather channel where signs that get knocked off docks can be a potential hazard in the waterways. What next? Actually most folks who live in hurricane areas make fun of the weather channel people but you won't find it on their carefully edited videos. The weather channel makes it's money by hyping the weather and thanks to their constant hysterics the U.S. has become a chicken shit fearful place that wouldn't know the difference between a tropical storm and a cat 4 hurricane.

Last edited:
My goodness, imagine potential wind gusts of 76 miles per hour in hurricane season in Florida. I watched the hurricane hyped on the weather channel where signs that get knocked off docks can be a potential hazard in the waterways. What next?
We had 90 MPh winds, tornados & golf ball sized hail here a week ago.

Bad weather coming? Pack yo shit up & gtfo. Not an option for weather that materializes out of nothing of course.

Ahhh, shrimp. Batten down the hatches and and say a get me through the night prayer, and we'll see you in the morning. :)

14021659_1451064338241370_843017157100402952_n.jpg

That is how I felt after Wilma, twice, and my daughter gave birth in the middle of it, then we had no services of any kind for a month. Tree took out the whole florida room. My son though it was fun to surf the waves on the golf course through part of it.

The folks in East Texas survived Rita.

And I hope very much, Shrimp, you get through tonight OK.

I am amazed what the weather channel has done to the kids. We are creating a nation of wimps. How did we ever make it this far?

Our grandparents used to walk barefoot up hill both ways in three foot snow drift to go to a school with no heat

now kids are glued to soft seats with a remote or game in their hand and don't want to budge to get a cup of soda.

I learned to deal without intermittent services as a kid. Any storms from north to south, the first thing I always did was fill the tub with water. Fill bottles for drinking water, make sure there are cans of gas. Candles, matches, batteries, alcohol, cotton, vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, clean towels, chopsticks (I use them to stop leaks in sliding windows and doors), medic, canned foods, grill in a safe place inside. Now I have learned to keep cash around since banks and ATMs don't work without electric.

Week before a storm, eat out of the freezer so you don't have food spoil and just fill it with boxes and bags of water to freeze.

Use water when there is no refrigeration for food. Keep powdered, canned for sterilized milk instead of fresh. Share meals and cooking with neighbors to avoid having to store food. A jar or can with paper towels and vinegar make easy wet wipes.

If you need to cook indoors, alcohol and cotton in an empty tuna can work well.

I used to take these thing for granted till I started to teach the kids what to do and how to prepare for bad weather.

Plastic bags inside and over shoes to keep the kids feet dry. Newpaper to dry the shoes overnight.

People in the US don't use rubber boots like they do in england. Not all stores have them from toddler to adult male.

Bleach for sanitizing water. Coffee filters to remove sediment.

I am amazed what the weather channel has done to the kids. We are creating a nation of wimps. How did we ever make it this far?

Our grandparents used to walk barefoot up hill both ways in three foot snow drift to go to a school with no heat

now kids are glued to soft seats with a remote or game in their hand and don't want to budge to get a cup of soda.

I learned to deal without intermittent services as a kid. Any storms from north to south, the first thing I always did was fill the tub with water. Fill bottles for drinking water, make sure there are cans of gas. Candles, matches, batteries, alcohol, cotton, vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, clean towels, chopsticks (I use them to stop leaks in sliding windows and doors), medic, canned foods, grill in a safe place inside. Now I have learned to keep cash around since banks and ATMs don't work without electric.

Week before a storm, eat out of the freezer so you don't have food spoil and just fill it with boxes and bags of water to freeze.

Use water when there is no refrigeration for food. Keep powdered, canned for sterilized milk instead of fresh. Share meals and cooking with neighbors to avoid having to store food. A jar or can with paper towels and vinegar make easy wet wipes.

If you need to cook indoors, alcohol and cotton in an empty tuna can work well.

I used to take these thing for granted till I started to teach the kids what to do and how to prepare for bad weather.

Plastic bags inside and over shoes to keep the kids feet dry. Newpaper to dry the shoes overnight.

People in the US don't use rubber boots like they do in england. Not all stores have them from toddler to adult male.

Bleach for sanitizing water. Coffee filters to remove sediment.

Some pics of my grandparents time.

upload_2016-9-2_0-13-44.png

upload_2016-9-2_0-14-15.png

upload_2016-9-2_0-14-56.png

upload_2016-9-2_0-15-29.png

That hardship made them some tuff SoBs, and that served many of them well in Vietnam.

People today are candy asses that dont know what a hard life is.

Forum List

Back