it was 25 years ago...

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
This Thursday is the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. It's got me thinking about the whole flower power/hippie/peace, love, and understanding movement, and whether it truly would've been successful if Lennon hadn't been killed. As it is now, my friends and I probably would be hippies if we hadn't been shown time and time again that love, kindness, and understanding simply do not work in this world, Lennon's murder being a prime example. Kinda sad, really.

Dan said:
This Thursday is the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. It's got me thinking about the whole flower power/hippie/peace, love, and understanding movement, and whether it truly would've been successful if Lennon hadn't been killed. As it is now, my friends and I probably would be hippies if we hadn't been shown time and time again that love, kindness, and understanding simply do not work in this world, Lennon's murder being a prime example. Kinda sad, really.

I think flower power was a bit blase by the time Lennon was shot in the early 80's. The ideas that Lennon et al were trying to convery of a colletive conscience wasn't't terrible, but alas, in the end, people gotta eat and "the man" likes to collect his rent. :laugh:

I think flower power was a bit blase by the time Lennon was shot in the early 80's.

But, from what I've read, and I could be wrong, but most people seem to look at that as the moment when all the "hippies" finally realized that it was never gonna happen.

The ideas that Lennon et al were trying to convery of a colletive conscience wasn't't terrible, but alas, in the end, people gotta eat and "the man" likes to collect his rent.

Yeah, the ultimate tragedy of life. Modern life, anyway.

It's hard to believe that just a couple hundred years ago, the government actually PAID people to be poets, writers, artists, philosophers, etc.

Dan said:
But, from what I've read, and I could be wrong, but most people seem to look at that as the moment when all the "hippies" finally realized that it was never gonna happen.

For some maybe, but most had grown up and gotten jobs or went to re-hab. The yuppies of the 80's were the flower children of the 60's. They're the one's who screwed my generation. :D

Dan said:
Flower power ended about 12 years before Lennon's murder...

The FP movement was just unsustainable.... it was too pie-in-the-sky, too idealistic....

When Lennon died, he was not a major influence on music any longer, he had become an anachronism. I doubt that if Lennon were still alive today that the world would be any different.

Forum List

Back