It is absurd to use the word "REASON" to describe Atheism.

Have a good night all.

Drop dead, and take your superstitions with you. :lol:

Yeah the truth sometimes brings out frustrations.

I am curious why so many on your side really do get upset when I discuss these issues with them. Where does the anger come from ?

That has always been true when people try to discuss doctrines of religion and politics rationally.

frustrated? projecting again? I'll get a homeless bum outside the church next door to pray for you. feel better?

Drop dead, and take your superstitions with you. :lol:

Yeah the truth sometimes brings out frustrations.

I am curious why so many on your side really do get upset when I discuss these issues with them. Where does the anger come from ?

That has always been true when people try to discuss doctrines of religion and politics rationally.

frustrated? projecting again? I'll get a homeless bum outside the church next door to pray for you. feel better?

I pray daily the science community will wake up. But I really do understand why your side gets emotional and lash out when they are confronted with evidence that contradicts what they payed so much to be taught.

Not projecting just stating facts unlike that of my counterpart's.

It makes me very frustrated when activists hijack the word “reason” to describe the belief that there is definitely no higher power and that everything they we see around us is the the product of random chance.

The theories of evolution and big bang are just “theories”. Evolution is based on random mutations. The big bang theory does not explain how the ingredients for the big bang were created. Did something come from nothing? Did life arise from inanimate objects by chance and it can’t be duplicated on purpose in a laboratory? These theories seem silly to me.
In order to avoid any possible embarrassment, in the future, have you (also) consulted with Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy....and, secured their concurrence....while developing your position?

:eusa_eh:

It makes me very frustrated when activists hijack the word “reason” to describe the belief that there is definitely no higher power and that everything they we see around us is the the product of random chance.

The theories of evolution and big bang are just “theories”. Evolution is based on random mutations. The big bang theory does not explain how the ingredients for the big bang were created. Did something come from nothing? Did life arise from inanimate objects by chance and it can’t be duplicated on purpose in a laboratory? These theories seem silly to me.
In order to avoid any possible embarrassment, in the future, have you (also) consulted with Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy....and, secured their concurrence....while developing your position?

:eusa_eh:

Another less than intelligent comment that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Yes, but probably not in the view of an atheist

I believe the existence of God (or not) is based entirely on faith. If you've been told over and over again that God did this or that, then of course you'll believe it. If you weren't told that and were allowed to think for yourself, you might come to the conclusion that God is man-made to explain why we're on this earth. How can some supernatural "being" know all, see all, and hear all when you can't do the same? I believe that about as much as I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, and the tooth fairy. Guess I don't have any "faith".

Also, if there's such thing as "God" and he/she/it answers your prayers, why do so many people suffer? If they've prayed for a BMW, does that mean they'll get one? I don't think so. If they pray for their illnesses to be taken away, do they actually go away? I doubt it.

As for the Bible, I didn't know God could write. If it truly is God's word, I would expect that. Why, instead, was it written by a bunch of scribes jotting down a conglomeration of text from other religions and calling it "holy scripture" that everyone should follow? Doesn't make sense to me.

There are many, many theories about how God created the universe and life aside from the satirical theory that you mention. But my main belief is that God knows things that we are not capable of understanding.

Did you know that if a monkey sat at a typewriter for the entire life of the universe (about 14 billion years) and typed random letters continuously, he would never write a novel by random chance. IMHO it is unreasonable to conclude that the trillions of cells in our body that make up complicated organs that all work together came to be from random mutations over a period of several hundred million years. Although we witness many species going extinct, no one has ever witnessed the creation of a new species. The only thing scientists have observed are mutations within a species.

IMHO the most reasonable theory is that a power beyond our understanding created all that we see.

You missed the point that the theory of God still poses many of the same logical problems. Where did God come from? Also your monkey analogy is wrong, the better way to describe it would be 14 billion monkeys with 14 billion typewriters would definitely, with ease, be able to write a novel in 14 billion years. Many things evolving simultaneous, and don't be so narrow minded as to forget that what we see around us is history written by the victor, plants, animals and cells are the success story.

Did you know that if a monkey sat at a typewriter for the entire life of the universe (about 14 billion years) and typed random letters continuously, he would never write a novel by random chance. IMHO it is unreasonable to conclude that the trillions of cells in our body that make up complicated organs that all work together came to be from random mutations over a period of several hundred million years. Although we witness many species going extinct, no one has ever witnessed the creation of a new species. The only thing scientists have observed are mutations within a species.

IMHO the most reasonable theory is that a power beyond our understanding created all that we see.
The problem with that unreasonable analogy is that atoms and molecules, the building blocks of life, do not combine by random chance. Atoms and molecules will only combine in specific ways based on the number of electrons in their outer shell, known as valence electrons. Thus if you combine hydrogen and oxygen you will get H2O and not H2O2 or HO. Random chance would require that you have an equal chance of getting H2O2 and HO as getting H2O!!!

Forum List

Back