It has become painfully, even fatally, obvious we have a police problem in this country......

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
And I believe congress needs to get involved.

First & foremost this is not an excuse for thuggish or criminal behavior. Nor is it a condemnation of police in general.

In the past I have created threads saying that the black community needs to get control of the culture in their inner cities.

Now it is time to recognize that we have a problem in the police community. It has become terribly obvious that temperament & judgment is an issue that the police departments across our nation are not paying a lot of attention to with regard to their hiring practices. So many police shootings seem to be questionable and it usually boils down to judgment. It makes me wonder if the screening process for selecting candidates is adequate. I also wonder if the pay is too low? So low that it attracts too many of the wrong individuals? It's like we just hire whomever applies as long as they pass a back ground check with little regard to their psychological well being or ability to function under extreme stress.
If you watch the video posted to Facebook after this latest shooting you can hear the sheer terror in the officers voice AFTER he had already killed the individual. He sounded like a child who was scared shitless.
Perhaps some nation wide standards could alleviate some of the problems with bad hires. We give these men and women a great deal of power over our daily lives so why not create some rational standards by which we determine who receives that power?

Yeah the ugly reality is, you can be killed over a broken tail light. Dark times for sure.

Well.....the "problem" is concentrated on a small % who shouldn't be cops. Hiring standards have been lowered. So have training standards.

The simple math shows the "problem" isn't widespread. But out of 1,000,000 cops making 14,000,000 arrests per year.....it only takes about 5-10 bad videos per year to make it seem to be a massive problem.

First & foremost this is not an excuse for thuggish or criminal behavior. Nor is it a condemnation of police in general.

In the past I have created threads saying that the black community needs to get control of the culture in their inner cities.

Now it is time to recognize that we have a problem in the police community. It has become terribly obvious that temperament & judgment is an issue that the police departments across our nation are not paying a lot of attention to with regard to their hiring practices. So many police shootings seem to be questionable and it usually boils down to judgment. It makes me wonder if the screening process for selecting candidates is adequate. I also wonder if the pay is too low? So low that it attracts too many of the wrong individuals? It's like we just hire whomever applies as long as they pass a back ground check with little regard to their psychological well being or ability to function under extreme stress.
If you watch the video posted to Facebook after this latest shooting you can hear the sheer terror in the officers voice AFTER he had already killed the individual. He sounded like a child who was scared shitless.
Perhaps some nation wide standards could alleviate some of the problems with bad hires. We give these men and women a great deal of power over our daily lives so why not create some rational standards by which we determine who receives that power?
I do some of the printing for the police department here which includes the application packet and the standards you have to pass are pretty high i'm guessing every city probably has their own hiring standards which could be part of the problem.

• Banned
What "nationwide standard" could be adopted. It's great to say "we need to do something "...but what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have the answers but I would start with some type of psychological testing and not just some multiple choice quiz who's answers can be easily manipulated. Second raise the standards & the pay to attract better candidates.

Well.....the "problem" is concentrated on a small % who shouldn't be cops. Hiring standards have been lowered. So have training standards.

The simple math shows the "problem" isn't widespread. But out of 1,000,000 cops making 14,000,000 arrests per year.....it only takes about 5-10 bad videos per year to make it seem to be a massive problem.

Amercian Police are killing Citizens at a shocking rate. Possibly the most dangerous deadly Police Force on earth.

I agree theres something wrong, I believe the majority is still good over all but maybe they need a tougher psychological screening process. Maybe something similar to the Navy seal Buds program where they kick out the ones who cant perform under pressure. Maybe not as extreme but maybe a similar process

Cant have too high of requirements, man. Its not PC enough. We have too many unequal policies in this country.
Kinda agree with you though. I mean, it happens, though. Always has. The most basic human instinct is survival.

I've posted this before but studies have shown these types of things are, for the most part, being done by a small % of cops. (in general, not assuming anything in the current cases)

This is largely preventable via statistical identification of bad actors, but it will take the cops/unions to deal with it, as they'll have to throw these bad actors to the wolves, and there's the sticking point.

There's a culture in the union to protect all members, there's a culture among cops to back up their brothers in blue. I understand both. In terms of the unions, that's their job to a large extent. In terms of the cops they have to have each others' backs on the street. When those things, in both cases, boil over into protecting, even lying for, those that are abusing power, and in some cases repeatedly so, then we have a problem- and it is these groups' problem to either solve on their own or be forced to do so.

Again, it's largely preventable. They know who these guys are or could know if they chose to know. And I guess that's why I'm totally flummoxed that the DOJ or whoever doesn't jump on the statistical predictability of a lot of this and shut this shit down.

I'll dig around for the data....

Amercian Police are killing Citizens at a shocking rate. Possibly the most dangerous deadly Police Force on earth.
The Brazilian police forces put American forces to shame when it comes to murdering citizens.

Cant have too high of requirements, man. Its not PC enough. We have too many unequal policies in this country.
Kinda agree with you though. I mean, it happens, though. Always has. The most basic human instinct is survival.

I think in the past we used to have more X military but maybe its not quite the same anymore, the ex military guys had more discipline before they entered police training, I would think they would tend to be a little less jumpy and not quite as fearful

63153342.jpg

I would suggest that the first thing we need to correct in this society, in order to remedy this issue is to rebuild the EXPECTATION that an Officer's orders are going to be followed, that suspects are not going to engage in fleeing behavior which leads to pursuits, and suspects are not going good to resist detainment/arrest.

Once those items are dealt with, THEN and ONLY THEN will I begin to concern myself with officer conduct.

We've militarized the police .

PDs have vet preference . Now we have all the vets coming from war zones , and we turn them into police officers as if it's the same job.

Full article here:

How To Predict Bad Cops In Chicago

exerpt:

"Jamie Kalven, writer and founder of the Invisible Institute, spent years investigating police misconduct in Chicago public housing projects but was frustrated by the department’s failure to release any information on the subject — not even its own records of complaints against officers. In collaboration with the University of Chicago’s Mandel Legal Aid Clinic, Kalven pursued lawsuits against the department, first forcing the city to release lists of the officers with several complaints against them. The Invisible Institute then filed a series of Freedom of Information Act requests to obtain all complaints against police officers from Jan. 1, 2011, through Dec. 7, 2015. (Efforts to compel the release of still more complaint data are ongoing but are at risk because of legal action by the Fraternal Order of Police.)

The extensive catalog of complaints against officers appears to bear out the theory of a few bad apples: Among the 7,758 police officers who received a complaint during that time period, more than half received less than one per year (officers with zero complaints do not appear in the database).
"Meanwhile, the bad apples seem to be the ones racking up the grievances.

arthur-policemisconduct-1.png

To avoid the overworked “bad apple” metaphor, the Invisible Institute prefers to call officers with many complaints against them “repeaters.” Repeaters only make up a small fraction of the more than 12,000 officers on Chicago’s force — perhaps 1 percent to 10 percent of the officers in the database, depending on where you draw the line — but are responsible for a huge fraction of the complaints: 10 percent of the officers who had received complaints generated 30 percent of the total departmental complaints since 2011. The 10 individual repeaters with the most complaints in the past five years averaged 23.4 complaints against them in that span."

It's widespread. The problem is cop culture.

The Brazilian police forces put American forces to shame when it comes to murdering citizens.

I'm sure the numbers are pretty close. And don't forget, the U.S. also now imprisons more Citizens than any other nation on earth. So, are we living in a dangerous Police State? You betcha.

Forum List

Back