IT BEGINS: 15-Point Plunge For GOP Senator After Gun Vote

Saying your stupid law is stupid ≠ wanting no laws at all....That's what we know as a classic straw man argument.

If you knew your head from a hole in the ground, you could've figured out that one.

I sincerely apologise if I've misunderstood your position.
When you wrote;
Thieves and black marketeers don't have to pass background checks, fool.
I assumed that you were using the argument that laws requiring background checks don't work because people that steal guns don't submit to them.

That's what comes form belonging to a party that doesn't believe in facts.

National Rifle Association shut out on Election Day

Making up your own polls doesn't count in the end.
Fact: Thieves and black marketeers don't have to pass background checks, fool.

So your argument is that because bad people bent on criminal intent won't respect a law then there's no point in having that law.

I suppose that's a point of view.

Are there currently laws prohibiting shooting people? Are there currently laws prohibiting felons and the insane from possessing firearms?
One more law expanding background checks to private sales is not going to do any more to prevent the next Sandy Hook than previous laws did.
It will, however, make you feel good about yourselves without having to address the real causes of homicides in the US.

Saying your stupid law is stupid ≠ wanting no laws at all....That's what we know as a classic straw man argument.

If you knew your head from a hole in the ground, you could've figured out that one.

When you wrote;
I assumed that you were using the argument that laws requiring background checks don't work because people that steal guns don't submit to them.
If you're trying to argue that background checks stop criminal acts with guns, then you're completely detached from reality.

Kelly Ayotte isn't up for reelection until 2016. Nobody is going to give a shit about this by that time, just like half the country now no longer give a shit about gun control just five months after Newtown.

Fact: Thieves and black marketeers don't have to pass background checks, fool.

So your argument is that because bad people bent on criminal intent won't respect a law then there's no point in having that law.

Are there currently laws prohibiting shooting people? Are there currently laws prohibiting felons and the insane from possessing firearms?
One more law expanding background checks to private sales is not going to do any more to prevent the next Sandy Hook than previous laws did.
It will, however, make you feel good about yourselves without having to address the real causes of homicides in the US.

Where do the thieves get their guns from...aren't there laws against 'thievery'?
Why not repeal those?

Where do the thieves get their guns from...aren't there laws against 'thievery'?
Why not repeal those?
There's a simple and easy answer to that:
Criminal law exists as a means through which to punish those who commit crime, not to prevent them from committing the crime in the first place.

Last edited:

When you wrote;
If you're trying to argue that background checks stop criminal acts with guns, then you're completely detached from reality.

I'm trying to argue that background checks will stop some criminal acts with guns...just like laws against drink driving stop some people from driving drunk.
After all, there are already background checks in most cases, why not apply them in all cases?

Why not repeal those?
Non sequitur.

Owning a gun is not a criminal act.

Why not repeal those?
Criminal law exists as a means through which to punish those who commit crime, not to prevent them from committing the crime in the first place.

Fair enough, so you're saying that laws against criminal activity are no deterrent at all.

Why not repeal those?

Fair enough, so you're saying that laws against criminal activity are no deterrent at all.
None...The law is supposed to primarily be for recompense for antisocial/criminal acts, not as some sort of weird tool for social engineering.

Why not repeal those?
Non sequitur.

Owning a gun is not a criminal act.

I know that you willfully misinterpreted my statement there...very clever.
I said that theft is a criminal act.

When you wrote;

I'm trying to argue that background checks will stop some criminal acts with guns...just like laws against drink driving stop some people from driving drunk.
You confuse "prevent" with "deter".

The threat of punishment for committing a crime might well -deter- someone from committing that crime, but does not in any way -prevent- him from doing it.

If you plan to commit murder/robbery/rape, the threat of punishment from a background check won't give you the leat pause.

Forum List

Back