CDZ Islam and Muslims

Almost all watches, even pricy platinum cased ones, have brass "guts," albeit that quite often the interior parts are rhodium plated, thus making them appear "silver" when in fact, they are brass. There are also some watches that have gold (white, yellow or rose/pink) plated movements. Then there's the somewhat rarer situation wherein the watch case is hewn from an acceptable substance, but the movement inside is made of gold rather than being plated with it.
I forgot to add that the color and composition of the metals inside the watches movement doesn't matter because they are hidden from view. ..... :cool:

TY.....

Well sort of....though admittedly, the matter isn't one most Muslims will likely find themselves having to address.

market_image.1717371.jpg

Strictly speaking the movement inside that watch is rose gold rather than yellow gold, but seems like splitting hairs to me. (The case isn't gold at all.) Regardless of what the movement is made of, presentation backs are quite common, and that so many watches these days have presentation backs is what I had in mind when I above wrote, "sort of." I was thinking about the fact that one can see the "guts" more so than how readily one may see it.

Off Topic a bit:
Along the lines of "what one can see and what one cannot see (readily)," it's never been terribly clear to me why Mr. Journe made the watch shown below with Mashriqi Arabic numerals. My friends in the UAE and Syria (well, they don't live in Syria now) saw that watch and wondered just who might buy and wear it, as did I. I'm sure, however, that not all Muslims strictly follow the gold prohibition, just as not all Jews wear a yarmulke. Only ~100 of them were made, and they were made for two purposes: (1) to help raise money for the Rashid Centre for the Disabled (UAE) -- they are basically $25K watches that went for ~$150K -- and (2) for collectors, albeit Arabs/Muslims were the intended target customers/collectors, who were of a mind to donate money to the Centre.

141020_Christies_Dubai-822.jpg

141020_Christies_Dubai-9421-600x349.jpg

Okay...I know in general about the "gold and Muslim men." (Ditto silk.) The tenor of your remarks, however, suggest that perhaps it's the color of the metal and not the nature of the metal that drives the proscription. That's not a distinction I gleaned prior to now. Is it the color or the metal itself? Is brass thus impermissible for Muslim men? Is white gold haram?

I'm asking because as a somewhat avid watch collector, I occasionally get asked for input about watches by a Muslim. I generally suggest something in platinum or steel, and I thought that would pass muster. However, if the color be the driver of the prohibition, it may not. Almost all watches, even pricy platinum cased ones, have brass "guts," albeit that quite often the interior parts are rhodium plated, thus making them appear "silver" when in fact, they are brass. There are also some watches that have gold (white, yellow or rose/pink) plated movements. Then there's the somewhat rarer situation wherein the watch case is hewn from an acceptable substance, but the movement inside is made of gold rather than being plated with it.
During the time of the Prophet anything gold was pure gold and silver was solid silver. (even today gulf arabs only deal in 24k gold)

Now things have changed. For instance my "silver" watch is actually a brushed stainless steel Movado.

Today there are several metals which are silver colored and various metals mimicking gold

So it basically boils down to color. If the item is gold or gold colored, then a man should not wear it.

If it's silver or silver colored, then it is ok to be worn by a man.

The color division is part of delineating the boundary between men and women.

Although, women are allowed to wear both gold and silver items. ...... :cool:
Looks like you too have discovered the value and beauty of stainless steel like the ancient Spartan Greeks ... and also the worthlessness of gold and silver too.

Red:
Gold is hardly worthless. It's highly resistant to corrosion, and that is important for certain types of watch movements. Gold isn't the only highly corrosion resistant metal -- though it's less reactive than even stainless steel -- the other equally non-reactive metals -- rhodium, for example -- are about as expensive. Gold is also a highly effective heat shield, and it's among the best electrical conductors, bested in that regard only by copper and silver. (TY to my high school physics teacher. Once again, something he taught has come in handy to have learned. LOL Didn't someone say that 50% of everything one needs to know is taught in high school?)

It's also a relatively low effort material to use in the fabrication of jewelry because it's so malleable. That it doesn't turn color is a big plus as well. Also, gold is indestructible, something one cannot say of brass, bronze or steel, each of which can be broken down into their component elements. So while there's no modern compelling personal need for gold, worthless is hardly what it is.

Menstruating women are not allowed to pray in the mosque.

Actually they are not allowed to pray period. (pun intended)

Since women sit in a separate area away from the men.

Mother's are allowed to nurse their babies inside the mosque. ..... :cool:

Menstruating women are not allowed to pray in the mosque.
Actually they are not allowed to pray period.
(pun intended)
??? How do Muslims/Imams enforce that prohibition? I realize they can have a "look see," but do they really do that?
All muslim women know the prohibition and that it comes from Allah.

So I can't imagine any religious muslim woman violating the rule.

But to answer you question: Nobody asks or checks. ..... :cool:

Last edited:
25 Prophets are mentioned in the Quran.

All but 2 are spoken about in the Bible. (Hud and Muhammad)

Two of the names in arabic are pronounced the exact same as we say them in english. Adam and Muhammad.

While a few of the names have a slight difference. For instance, Lot is pronounced as Lut in arabic.

But most of the Prophet's names spoken in arabic would be unrecognizable to the english speaker.

The Names of the 25 Prophets Mentioned are as follows:
Adam
Idris (Enoch)
Nuh (Noah)
Hud (Heber)
Salih (Methusaleh)
Lut (Lot)
Ibrahim (Abraham)
Ismail (Ishmael)
Ishaq (Isaac)
Yaqub (Jacob)
Yusuf (Joseph)
Shu’aib (Jethro)
Ayyub (Job)
Dhulkifl (Ezekiel)
Musa (Moses)
Harun (Aaron)
Dawud (David)
Sulayman (Solomon)
Ilias (Elias)
Alyasa (Elisha)
Yunus (Jonah)
Zakariya (Zachariah)
Yahya (John the Baptist)
Isa (Jesus)
Muhammad

Last edited:
How many prophets did God send to mankind? This is a debated issue, but what we know is what God has told us in the Quran.

God says he sent a prophet to every nation. He says:

Quran 16:36 “For We assuredly sent amongst every People a Messenger, (with the command): ‘Serve God, and eschew Evil;’ of the people were some whom God guided, and some on whom Error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth)”

This is because one of the principles by which God operates is that He will never take a people to task unless He has made clear to them what His expectations are.

The Quran mentions the names of 25 prophets and indicates there were others. It says:

Quran 4:164 “Of some messengers We have already told you the story; of others We have not; - and to Moses God spoke direct.”

25 Prophets of Islam

While it's not incontrovertible, there's some argument to be made that Muhammad is referred to in the Bible.
You are correct.

Although, I was only listing Prophet's that were mentioned by name in both the Quran and the Bible in my post.

Many people believe that Muhammad is the person spoken about in Deuteronomy 18:18-20 and 33:2, and other verses in the Bible. ..... :cool:

Muhammad in the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Dogs

Many people think that muslims hate dogs.

No.....muslim's do not hate dogs. But the issue of many muslim's aversion to dogs is somewhat complicated and a puzzle to western people.

In the Quran it is inferred that Angels will not enter a home if a dog is allowed to live inside. So most muslims will not keep a dog inside the house as a pet.

Muslims can own and raise dogs, but they must be working dogs and not pets. Such as hunting dogs, guide dogs for the blind, herding dogs for livestock, etc.

The main objection of muslims to being around dogs is that their saliva is considered unclean. If a dog licks your skin or your clothes. Besides dog saliva being unsanitary. You have now became impure, and must undertake a ritual washing with water before resuming prayers.

Personally, I hate entering an elevator where someone has a dog on a leash. I will stand to the side away from the animal and against the wall so it can't lick or rub against me. Invariably, the owner will notice my reaction, and say, "Don't worry, he is friendly and won't bite". To avoid a confrontation, I'll just tell the dogs owner that I'm allergic to dogs. ....... :cool:

Dietary restrictions in Islam.

Food in Islam falls into two categories: Halal (acceptable) and Haram (forbidden).

Pork and pork products are strictly forbidden in Islam; as are carnivorous animals, birds of prey, and certain reptiles.

For meat to be considered halal, the animal must be ritualistically slaughtered according to Islamic procedure while using the name of God. (Allah).

Muslims are allowed to purchase and consume Kosher meat from jewish grocery stores. That is because Islamic and Jewish dietary laws and rules for slaughter are almost identical, except for some jewish restrictions on certain categories of seafood. ....... :cool:

Last edited:
Dietary restrictions in Islam.

Food in Islam falls into two categories: Halal (acceptable) and Haram (forbidden).

Pork and pork products are strictly forbidden in Islam; as are carnivorous animals, birds of prey, and certain reptiles.

For meat to be considered halal, the animal must be ritualistically slaughtered according to Islamic procedure while using the name of God. (Allah).

Muslims are allowed to purchase and consume Kosher meat from jewish grocery stores. That is because Islamic and Jewish dietary laws and rules for slaughter are almost identical, except for some jewish restrictions on certain categories of seafood. ....... :cool:
What about fish?

Fish are carnivorous.

Dogs

No.....muslim's do not hate dogs. But the issue of many muslim's aversion to dogs is somewhat complicated and a puzzle to western people.

In the Quran it is inferred that Angels will not enter a home if a dog is allowed to live inside. So most muslims will not keep a dog inside the house as a pet.

Muslims can own and raise dogs, but they must be working dogs and not pets. Such as hunting dogs, guide dogs for the blind, herding dogs for livestock, etc.

The main objection of muslims to being around dogs is that their saliva is considered unclean. If a dog licks your skin or your clothes. Besides dog saliva being unsanitary. You have now became impure, and must undertake a ritual washing with water before resuming prayers.

Personally, I hate entering an elevator where someone has a dog on a leash. I will stand to the side away from the animal and against the wall so it can't lick or rub against me. Invariably, the owner will notice my reaction, and say, "Don't worry, he is friendly and won't bite". To avoid a confrontation, I'll just tell the dogs owner that I'm allergic to dogs. ....... :cool:
The Quran does NOT "infer".

The Quran "implies".

The reader infers.

The writer implies.

The written word implies.

You get an F for grammar.

Dogs

Yup I hate dogs slobbering all over me too.

Cats must love you before they will lick your fingers and hand.

Dogs will love anybody.

While it's not incontrovertible, there's some argument to be made that Muhammad is referred to in the Bible.
You are correct.

Although, I was only listing Prophet's that were mentioned by name in both the Quran and the Bible in my post.

Many people believe that Muhammad is the person spoken about in Deuteronomy 18:18-20 and 33:2, and other verses in the Bible. ..... :cool:

Muhammad in the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deut 18:18 is Jesus not Muhammad.

The 5 Pillars of Islam

This refers to the five acts than muslims must perform during their life time.

#1) Testifying to God's One-ness: The declaration "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet." (called the Shahada)

#2) Praying the mandatory five prayers every day. (Salat)

#3) The giving of money to the poor. (Zakat)

#4) Fasting (Sawm)

#5 Pilgrimage to Mecca (Hajj)

Last edited:
The 5 times per day Islamic call to prayer is called the Adhan.

It is recited from the top of a mosque a few minutes before the proscribed prayer time.

Prophet Muhammad himself instituted the adhan as a part of Islamic worship. He personally chose a freed african slave named Bilal to call the first adhan from a roof top because he had a strong voice.

Bilal is a popular name for boys among African American muslim's because of the historical connection to the adhan.

The Adhan in English

God is the greatest (Allahu akbar)..................repeated four times.
I testify that there is no God but Allah.............repeated twice
I testify that Mohammed is God’s Prophet......repeated twice
Come to prayer..................................................repeated twice
Come to success..............................................repeated twice
God is the greatest...........................................repeated twice.
There is no God but Allah.................................said once.

(an additional pre-sunrise line is sometimes added to the first prayer of the morning)

Prayer is better than sleep................................repeated twice.

Forum List

Back