Is Wal-Mart hiring proselytizers now?

How about you practice some 'tolerance' for five minutes and go about your day if you don't want to change lines?
Why should I change? I'm there for legitimate business. Somone elses preaching about the glories of Allah, or Christ, or Marx (Karl, that is...I'm actually fine with preaching on the greatness of Groucho). What gives someone the right to use someone else's business to spread their personal message?
You are not entitled to be free from offense as you move about your day.
But you are entitled to use someone else's business to require people to listen to your personal beliefs as a price of doing business? I shouldn't have to change MY line or behavior or store because one employee decides to use his job to spout whatever. And, by the way, that applies to ALL personal beliefs, not just religion. I don't want to know his/her political philosophy, or anything not directly related to a product I'm buying. I will go elsewhere. Do you really think the employee's bosses would appreciate losing business due to an employee alienating customers?

So you're basically saying that you want to punish or restrict people for their speech because you're offended by it or don't wish to hear it?
No, I'm saying nothing of the sort. And I'm pretty sure you actually know that.

But it is, you want them silenced, you want Walmart to silence them so that you aren't offended. How is that different than wanting the government to do the same thing? The only thing stopping the government and you is our Bill of Rights, and thank God for that!

Actually, Walmart wants them silenced.

They even employ spies who try to get the clerks to talk - albeit, mostly about WM practices. Nonetheless, that clerk would be out if caught preaching to a shopper.

And that's up to Walmart, not you or anyone else.

Not to captive audiences as with people in the checkout line no. Should be common sense. Wanna talk about it to co-workers in the breakroom I'd think that's protected speech. But proselytizing to customers who didn't volunteer to listen to such a message is probably a no-no both in company policies and just plain old manners.

lol You're not a 'captive audience' just because you're standing in line. You people are insane!!! lol
You think that's an acceptable choice? That you either listen to a person's personal message and preaching when you don't want to or abandon your already completed shopping?

How about you practice some 'tolerance' for five minutes and go about your day if you don't want to change lines?
Why should I change? I'm there for legitimate business. Somone elses preaching about the glories of Allah, or Christ, or Marx (Karl, that is...I'm actually fine with preaching on the greatness of Groucho). What gives someone the right to use someone else's business to spread their personal message?
But you are entitled to use someone else's business to require people to listen to your personal beliefs as a price of doing business? I shouldn't have to change MY line or behavior or store because one employee decides to use his job to spout whatever. And, by the way, that applies to ALL personal beliefs, not just religion. I don't want to know his/her political philosophy, or anything not directly related to a product I'm buying. I will go elsewhere. Do you really think the employee's bosses would appreciate losing business due to an employee alienating customers?

So you're basically saying that you want to punish or restrict people for their speech because you're offended by it or don't wish to hear it? Who the hell do you think you are that you should restrict what someone else can say?

So go elsewhere, who cares? The 'tolerance' of the left. lol

:D

You think that's an acceptable choice? That you either listen to a person's personal message and preaching when you don't want to or abandon your already completed shopping?

So you're basically saying that you want to punish or restrict people for their speech because you're offended by it or don't wish to hear it?

But it is, you want them silenced, you want Walmart to silence them so that you aren't offended.
Where did I say or imply I was offended? And I did make it clear the message is irrelevant. Employees have no business using there position as a platform to advance their personal opinions on customers. I don't care what the message is, it's irrelevant. It's not their job and annoys customers.

So what? The customers can leave. Walmart, so far, is not owned by the state, statist.

PS..it doesn't annoy me. I don't care what my checkers blab about. And you don't have a *right* not to be annoyed. If we had that right, then I could have every limp wristed pansy I see on the street arrested.

You are arguing that Walmart can't foist objectionable checkers upon an unsuspecting public.

I simply pointed out that as Walmart is not operated by the state, that's a patent untruth. Customers have no *right* to atheist checkers. Sorry.

I'm not a fan of being "chatted up" by cashiers no matter what the topic. I just do not respond and let them see my eyes glaze over.

I tend to talk to people but preach?

Never.

And I expect that same courtesy from others.

There's a time and place for everything.

Aren't you 'preaching' when you say you expect the same courtesy from others? You're telling them how to behave, you expect them to behave a certain way, do you not? It may not be 'religious' preaching, but it's still preaching. lol

Actually I take that back, it is preaching, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. Guess that makes you as guilty as everyone else!

Nope. I don't preach TO THEM that they should grant me the same courtesy I grant them. I ignored the one WM clerk who did say something religious to me in a WM. I do unto others as I would have do unto me - I don't preach for my own beliefs or against theirs.

Or, are you saying that I cannot state my opinion here?

Edited to add - I did tell a nutter in a park to get the fuck away from me and my toddler-age grand daughter and I do close my door in the faces of thumpers. But no, I don't tell them they should not believe as they do because, as long as they're not shoving it my face, its none of my business and I really don't care.

1340819070527_9323674_1__zps266e0bcd.png

Last edited:

But it is, you want them silenced, you want Walmart to silence them so that you aren't offended.
Let's be clear on this.....I have no wish to hear other people's personal opinions on anything except for items I am purchasing (and even that has limits).
A company who allows this would lose my business.
Many others feel the same way: I'm quite sure neither you nor Koshergrl would long frequent an establishment where a cashier would tell you all about how everyone should be gay.
If a company wants to allow their employees to preach or lecture any or all customers, that's their business but it would be bad business, especially since, under anti-discrimination laws, comapanies could not allow only approved personal opinions and would have to allow all.

.I am not aware of any company that would allow such a thing.

An employee has no right to use someone else's business go promote their personal viewpoints.

If an establishment wants to promote a company view (such as Chick-fil-A or SweetFrog with explicitly religious messages) that's the company, not the employee as an individual. But of course the company could not require employees to preach either.

Let's be clear on this..I don't care what you wish. Don't go to Walmart. Trust me, Walmart isn't going to miss your company.

Nope. I'm saying that what you are calling harassment, isn't harassment.

And it's certainly not harassment if you have the option of leaving.

Walmart checkers have the right to talk about their plans. If their bosses don't like it, they have the right to fire them.

But you, as a customer, have no recourse, except to whine about it, and leave. They aren't breaking any laws, and you don't have any say over what they are allowed to say. Just because you don't like what they say doesn't obligate Walmart to remove them from the payroll.

Really? Then I would be interested in hearing what your definition of harassment is if not making someone face the choice of either listening to someone else's personal views or abandoning their already completed shopping.

After having spent how much time in the store? You're telling me that you would just abandon your cart at the checkout line if the cashier started rambling on about some topic you had no interest in?

Walmart checkers have the right to talk about their plans. If their bosses don't like it, they have the right to fire them.
That I agree with. Though it seems a bit contradictory that you think the bosses have the right to fire someone for non-harrassing free speech as you claim it is.

But you, as a customer, have no recourse, except to whine about it, and leave.
Exactly.

They aren't breaking any laws, and you don't have any say over what they are allowed to say. Just because you don't like what they say doesn't obligate Walmart to remove them from the payroll.
And there you go again...inventing an argument for me that I've never made.

Your thread begs the question, why did you stop and give him the opportunity to proselytize? Once he started, why did you stick around instead of walking away?

Had an interesting guy at checkout mention how he was suicidal, found Jebus, and now is an ordained minister. Going to India to proselytize and gave me an earful about his faith. Was pretty sure if I'd mentioned it to a manager he'd be gone but I felt sorry for him. Going to India soon nayway, will be their problem then. :) But it begged the question, does Wal-Mart know when they hire especially religious people? Are they cool with that? It is the Bible belt afterall, probably gonna get a lot of those types. Still...

You didn't wait for him in the parking lot with a baseball bat?

I'm surprised..

Really? Then I would be interested in hearing what your definition of harassment is if not making someone face the choice of either listening to someone else's personal views or abandoning their already completed shopping.

After having spent how much time in the store? You're telling me that you would just abandon your cart at the checkout line if the cashier started rambling on about some topic you had no interest in?

That I agree with. Though it seems a bit contradictory that you think the bosses have the right to fire someone for non-harrassing free speech as you claim it is.

But you, as a customer, have no recourse, except to whine about it, and leave.
Exactly.

They aren't breaking any laws, and you don't have any say over what they are allowed to say. Just because you don't like what they say doesn't obligate Walmart to remove them from the payroll.
And there you go again...inventing an argument for me that I've never made.

If you decide to remain in the store when you have the option of leaving, it's not harassment.

"harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious. Such activities may be the basis for a lawsuit if due to discrimination based on race or sex, a violation on the statutory limitations on collection agencies, involve revenge by an ex-spouse, or be shown to be a form of blackmail ("I'll stop bothering you, if you'll go to bed with me"). The victim may file a petition for a "stay away" (restraining) order, intended to prevent contact by the offensive party. A systematic pattern of harassment by an employee against another worker may subject the employer to a lawsuit for failure to protect the worker."

A Walmart checker sharing his plans for the future with the shopper in line in front of you is not harassing you, loon.

Now take a pill or something.

harassment legal definition of harassment

And in fact, if you pitch a fit and try to get the checker fired...I think you are guilty of harassment.

"S 240.31 Aggravated harassment in the first degree.

A person is guilty of aggravated harassment in the first degree when with intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm another person, because of a belief or perception regarding such person`s race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation, regardless of whether the belief or perception is correct..."

Harassment Law Legal Definition

Leave the checkers alone, loon. Stop harassing them for shit you might (or might not) overhear when your'e 3 people back in the line.

Let's be clear on this..I don't care what you wish. Don't go to Walmart. Trust me, Walmart isn't going to miss your company.

koshergrl

As usual, you're so busy thumping on a pretend bible you don't even believe in, you miss the point and you're wrong.

Do you really think that Walmart is the only place where people get all preachy? Remember Jeremiah saying she had cornered people who were minding their own business in a hospital waiting room so she could preach at them?

Imagine that. Minding your business, visiting sick family/friends and some jackass wing nut comes out of nowhere and starts some sort of insane preaching at you.

And, you're wrong about Walmart and other stores accepting/allowing their employees preaching at and chasing away customers.

And, as usual, you are a hypocrite because you would never stand for someone in a burqa preaching at you. Just as you were an intolerant, anti-christian hypocrite when you applauded the murder of an innocent boy who was practicing the very benign religion of Wicca.

And in fact, if you pitch a fit and try to get the checker fired...I think you are guilty of harassment.

"S 240.31 Aggravated harassment in the first degree.

A person is guilty of aggravated harassment in the first degree when with intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm another person, because of a belief or perception regarding such person`s race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation, regardless of whether the belief or perception is correct..."

Harassment Law Legal Definition

Leave the checkers alone, loon. Stop harassing them for shit you might (or might not) overhear when your'e 3 people back in the line.

Leave the checkers alone

Are you really so stupid that you wrote that?

You really think these businesses are there for the convenience of their employees?

Forum List

Back