To Put Your Existence in Perspective

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
enhanced-buzz-29794-1416240063-10.jpg

Scan through these pix and it makes you think of just who you are and how small we humans are in the universal sense,

More @ 26 Pictures Will Make You Re-Evaluate Your Entire Existence

Reminded me of the Infinite Perspective Vortex, a capital punishment device in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. It executes the condemned by showing them their place in the universe and thus driving them mad.

And the Universe got here HOW? Did it wink into existence from NOTHING? If that's your working theory, please convince me.

Two hours and no response. I guess no one is prepared to convince me that this incredible and vastly large Universe got here all by itself.

The OP HAD NOTHING to do with any religion whatsoever!!! :FIREdevil:

I simply want us to look heavenward now and then and put our own existence into perspective.

It makes no difference who or what or how you believe in.

So, please turn down the :up_yours:

And the Universe got here HOW? Did it wink into existence from NOTHING? If that's your working theory, please convince me.

We don't know. If I could answer that, I'd have the Nobel Prize in physics. Based on the mathematics and what evidence we have, everything that made up the Universe either already existed in a super hot and dense state that suddenly inflated for reason unknown OR that super hot dense state may have been pushed into existence when two branes crashed into one another.

We don't know. If I could answer that, I'd have the Nobel Prize in physics. Based on the mathematics and what evidence we have, everything that made up the Universe either already existed in a super hot and dense state that suddenly inflated for reason unknown OR that super hot dense state may have been pushed into existence when two branes crashed into one another.
Science cannot answer the question as to what caused the universe. Any first cause you can come up with will lead to the question, "What caused that?' Eventuallly, you run out of answers.

No. There will always be one more rock to turn over, one more piece of information, one more question to answer. That isn't a flaw in science; it's a feature. Just because we can't answer it today doesn't mean it will never be answered or that it simply can't be answered.

I'm not satisfied with "turtles all the way down" and no scientist worth his salt will be either.

No. There will always be one more rock to turn over, one more piece of information, one more question to answer. That isn't a flaw in science; it's a feature. Just because we can't answer it today doesn't mean it will never be answered or that it simply can't be answered.

I'm not satisfied with "turtles all the way down" and no scientist worth his salt will be either.
I didn't know you spoke for all scientists.

Here's the thing. The Bible tells us the Earth was made for mankind, and we are its stewards of all the plants and animals.

The Bible doesn't say who the rest of the Universe belongs to. The Universe wasn't given to us, only Earth.

It is possible that there are millions or billions of other Earth-like planets in the Universe, and each has had its own revelations from God, and perhaps the Son of God has had to redeem each intelligent race separately.

Or perhaps, as C.S. Lewis theorized, it is possible that other species of life in the universe remain in the unfallen state, and do not need redemption.

Any way, if there are such unfallen races, they would not survive contact with the human race. They would greet us with friendship and flowers, and we would greet them with guns.

The OP HAD NOTHING to do with any religion whatsoever!!! :FIREdevil:

I simply want us to look heavenward now and then and put our own existence into perspective.

It makes no difference who or what or how you believe in.

So, please turn down the :up_yours:
First, brilliant post, it's really outside of my comprehension just how big the universe really is. On top of that if you like the multiverse concept, it makes me hurt just thinking about it. And yes for some reason it tends to make things seem less significant.

Second, I think some people are really sensitiveabout their

Hi there Steven :smile:..My experience is there are three types of people...problem solvers, problem makers, and the apathetic. The last two tests the stamina of the first..stay on path Steven, lol.

I posted this on another thread as I think it is relevant

I clearly remember the scene in one of The Men In Black movies where one of them opens the door to a locker to reveal an entire alien culture. They worshiped him as a god

And then, I think of this - We are not able to see atoms with their nuclei and the electrons and neutrons circling them. What if we were but one such atom? A tiny part in another object we cannot even begin to comprehend?

Science cannot answer the question as to what caused the universe. Any first cause you can come up with will lead to the question, "What caused that?' Eventuallly, you run out of answers.

Listen, guy.

Look at that:
hartley2lores.jpg

And you request an answer as simple as a cookie recipe?
Get lost.

In the beginning there was Chaos...

Forum List

Back