Is this an Iranian thing, or an Islam thing?...

All of that's Fine, Assuming you are Correct for the Sake of Argument, but Islamic Countries, with Islamic Laws, are doing EXACTLY what I have Illustrated...

I don't have to Debate the Quran to Know what Islamic Countries are doing in Practice.

Try again.

:)

peace...

As I've said, you cannot extrapolate accurate information about the Islamic religion solely from the actions of those who claim to adhere to it. Attempting to do so is illogical.

it should be noted that the Islamic Republic is not led by secular bureaucrats who simply talk about religion...

Khomeini was a well-known quranic scholar, and many of the elite in the regime are also very high ranking scholars of Islam... for them to implements these laws arbitrarily does not seem logical

it should be noted that the Islamic Republic is not led by secular bureaucrats who simply talk about religion...

Khomeini was a well-known quranic scholar, and many of the elite in the regime are also very high ranking scholars of Islam... for them to implements these laws arbitrarily does not seem logical

They're adherents of Twelver Shi'ism. While a number of my friends are Twelvers and I respect them and their beliefs, the ideology is fundamentally flawed. For one thing, it's based on the assumption that Muhammad (ﷺ), Fatima (may Allah be pleased with her), and the 12 Imams are completely immune to error. Clearly, the assumption of infallibility should not be made by any upright Muslim except in the case of Muhammad's recitation, the Qur'an. Therefore, a number of laws, injunctions, and theological doctrines of Twelver Shi'ism are rooted wholly in tradition or past rulings and have absolutely no Qur'anic basis. This is bid'ah. Twelvers such as those in Iran's ruling regime also rely on the supposedly infallible Qur'anic interpretations put forth by imams rather than their own logic.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that all of Iran's leaders are sincere in their religious beliefs. Power corrupts, and I have every reason to think that many of them are interested only in benefiting themselves and keeping the current, illegitimate regime in power.

All of that's Fine, Assuming you are Correct for the Sake of Argument, but Islamic Countries, with Islamic Laws, are doing EXACTLY what I have Illustrated...

I don't have to Debate the Quran to Know what Islamic Countries are doing in Practice.

Try again.

peace...

As I've said, you cannot extrapolate accurate information about the Islamic religion solely from the actions of those who claim to adhere to it. Attempting to do so is illogical.

I Certainly can... In Practice, in Law and in the Modern Day, Islam is a Barbaric, Backwards, Fucked up, Shithole of a Religion...

Those who aren't Taking Part in the Animalistic Behavior are either Applauding, Excusing it, or Running Static for it...

Which are you?...

peace...

They're adherents of Twelver Shi'ism. While a number of my friends are Twelvers and I respect them and their beliefs, the ideology is fundamentally flawed. For one thing, it's based on the assumption that Muhammad (ﷺ), Fatima (may Allah be pleased with her), and the 12 Imams are completely immune to error. Clearly, the assumption of infallibility should not be made by any upright Muslim except in the case of Muhammad's recitation, the Qur'an. Therefore, a number of laws, injunctions, and theological doctrines of Twelver Shi'ism are rooted wholly in tradition or past rulings and have absolutely no Qur'anic basis. This is bid'ah. Twelvers such as those in Iran's ruling regime also rely on the supposedly infallible Qur'anic interpretations put forth by imams rather than their own logic.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that all of Iran's leaders are sincere in their religious beliefs. Power corrupts, and I have every reason to think that many of them are interested only in benefiting themselves and keeping the current, illegitimate regime in power.

ok, I see your point... I also agree that many of the mulllahs are enriching themselves, and many mullahs are opposed to the government

I have a fundamental opposition to Islam, but I could very well live with it if what you're saying is the way it was interpreted

ok, I see your point... I also agree that many of the mulllahs are enriching themselves, and many mullahs are opposed to the government

I have a fundamental opposition to Islam, but I could very well live with it if what you're saying is the way it was interpreted

It will be, in sha' Allah.

One question, though:
I'm against theocracy, not Islam
I have a fundamental opposition to Islam

Which is it? :tongue:

It will be, in sha' Allah.

One question, though:
I'm against theocracy, not Islam
I have a fundamental opposition to Islam

Which is it? :tongue:

sorry, I should clarify:

I do not tolerate theocracy... if 99% of the people want a theocracy in my country, screw them... no theocracy, now way, no how. I will not accept it.

Islam I have a opposition to, and would never practice it (well I have considered it when younger, but not any more) and I would not marry a muslim woman (I have had the chance, and the religion was the issue). But i'm not going to forcefully convert or bomb muslims for the sake of ending the religion. If hey leave me alone with my creed (i.e. do not try to kill me because my mother was muslim and I am not) then good, I will not trample on the beliefs of consenting adults.

Sharia law, however, is in my opinion part of theocracy... and you can understand how I would be opposed to the lack of separation between religion and state inherent in Islam

I do not tolerate theocracy... if 99% of the people want a theocracy in my country, screw them... no theocracy, now way, no how. I will not accept it.
Doesn't that suggest aversion towards self-determination on your part? If such a high percentage of my countrymen were committed to a system of government that I disliked, I'd probably go somewhere else and let them do as they wished.

Islam I have a opposition to, and would never practice it (well I have considered it when younger, but not any more)
Every knowledgeable person is bound to feel some sort of attraction towards Islam at some point in their life. It's the ideal system for mankind. :eusa_whistle:

and I would not marry a muslim woman (I have had the chance, and the religion was the issue).
That doesn't surprise me. Muslim women tend not to marry outside of the religion.

But i'm not going to forcefully convert or bomb muslims for the sake of ending the religion. If hey leave me alone with my creed (i.e. do not try to kill me because my mother was muslim and I am not) then good, I will not trample on the beliefs of consenting adults.
Rest assured, I have no interest in killing you...

Sharia law, however, is in my opinion part of theocracy... and you can understand how I would be opposed to the lack of separation between religion and state inherent in Islam
I don't think that non-believers would take issue with living in a truly Islamic society, so long as they weren't interested in acting hostilely towards Muslims.

The International Herald Tribune reported:

The Iranian government confirmed Tuesday that a man was executed by stoning last week for committing adultery, and said that 20 more men would be executed in the coming days on morality violations.

A judiciary spokesman, Alireza Jamshidi, told reporters on Tuesday that a death sentence by stoning had been carried out last week near the city of Takestan, west of Tehran, despite an order by the chief of the judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmoud Shahroudi, not to permit such executions.

"The verdict was final, and so it was carried out for the man but not for the woman," the ISNA news agency quoted Jamshidi as saying.

He said the 20 additional executions were for such things as "rape, insulting religious sanctities and laws, and homosexuality." Most executions in Iran are hangings, often in public and at the scenes of the alleged crimes.

The police arrested about 1,000 people in May during a so-called morality crackdown. Jamshidi said 15 more men were being tried on similar charges and could receive death sentences.

---

Well?...

peace...

It's a backwards Third World thing.

Doesn't that suggest aversion towards self-determination on your part? If such a high percentage of my countrymen were committed to a system of government that I disliked, I'd probably go somewhere else and let them do as they wished.

well, to a degree that's not a problem to me... but then ones has to agree that government's role, ANY government's role is to protect its citizens against the beliefs of others

Theocracies will tend to criminalize most things that are criminal in any other country (murder, theft, etc.) but will also criminalize moral acts also. In that sense, people don't have a right to vote away the rights of others to commit acts which are not inherently violent or dangerous.

Also, if that 1% that votes against theocracy is of another religion (let's say Baha'i which is not accepted by the three major abrahamic religions), they would not be tolerated. This is not an acceptable situation, even if 99% of people agreed to institute theocracy.

Mind you, I'm not saying NON-theoracies are perfect either... I would like to see drugs decriminalized and treated as a medical problem in North America, but still many relatively harmless people are put into crowded jails for selling stinky plants to others

The Iranian government confirmed Tuesday that a man was executed by stoning last week for committing adultery, and said that 20 more men would be executed in the coming days on morality violations.

A judiciary spokesman, Alireza Jamshidi, told reporters on Tuesday that a death sentence by stoning had been carried out last week near the city of Takestan, west of Tehran, despite an order by the chief of the judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmoud Shahroudi, not to permit such executions.

"The verdict was final, and so it was carried out for the man but not for the woman," the ISNA news agency quoted Jamshidi as saying.

He said the 20 additional executions were for such things as "rape, insulting religious sanctities and laws, and homosexuality." Most executions in Iran are hangings, often in public and at the scenes of the alleged crimes.

The police arrested about 1,000 people in May during a so-called morality crackdown. Jamshidi said 15 more men were being tried on similar charges and could receive death sentences.

---

Well?...

peace...

I would recommend visiting Iran... it's hardly Afghanistan

---

Well?...

peace...

It's not Afghanistan, but it's also not the United States, France, or Japan.

It's not Afghanistan, but it's also not the United States, France, or Japan.

it's very much equivalent to China, Turkey or Southern Italy

as in there is absolutely a backwards attitude in the deep countryside and amongst the very destitute classes... but amongst the urban centers (including urban centers in the provinces distant from the capital) it is really not that different from France or Spain.

And by the way....I think we should leave Iranian laws to the Iranians...............the ones who are still living in Iran. ;)

In answer to the original question: It's an Iranian thing, not an Islam thing. Is it a great law? No. Are there plenty of countries with worse laws? Yes.

And by the way....I think we should leave Iranian laws to the Iranians...............the ones who are still living in Iran. ;)

In answer to the original question: It's an Iranian thing, not an Islam thing. Is it a great law? No. Are there plenty of countries with worse laws? Yes.

although I agree that outside interference is not the solution, seriously... it's not a democracy... the iranians are hardly making their laws

I know and really, although I might make light...I understand your feeling. I think of it this way, as far as countries go, Iran is not that bad. Most countries have repression. Some are even very good at hiding it.
I think we will see things change eventually once again. I've noticed Iranians don't seem to be willing to be passive victims. :)

well, as long as you see my point i'm happy to agree to disagree on the Iranian issue... my worry is that what we've seen as of late has in fact been a severe right wing shift. Not a religously right wing shift, but a military coup designed to rob the oil wealth of the nation. In that sense, I worry that the repression will get far more violent.

Hey Kalam, have you ever actually been to the Middle East? I have. Been to the UAE, as well as Jiddah Saudi Arabia.

You realize that in addition to the normal uniformed police, they have people running around in black robes constantly looking for a religious violation? They (the religious police in the black robes), have the right to detain and arrest ANYONE for a perceived slight against IsLAME.

Incidentally, some of those people are executed on Fridays in the town square on top of a 20-30 ft high pile of sand for those very same religious violations.

Might wanna actually go over there and see it sometime. If you DO make it to Mecca, chances are, with the way you currently speak of IsLAME, you're gonna find out that you don't want to follow it any more.

Incidentally, I've NEVER wanted to be MusLAME. Ever since the mid 70's when the radicals took over? I've known it was a fucked theology.

But.......go ahead and believe the bullshit if it works for you.

Forum List

Back