Is this a plot to dumb us down?

National Geographic channel seems to add an outdoorsy spin to the tired reality-TV formula. Their version of Cops is Alaska State Troopers. Doomsday Preppers, Live Free or Die and other shows like that tend to play to the lowest common denominator of the American audience.

H2 (History Channel) is next to Nat. Geo. on the guide. Most of H2 is about Ghosts, Aliens, and Superheroes, etc..

A quick check at the schedule shows that the ID and SCI channels are playing marathons of Swamp Murders and Survivorman, respectively. Without passing judgement on those shows, its worth noting that they're low budget.

I think it comes down to economics. You can make more money on a reality-TV style show. No expensive actors or set design.

I watch more TV during the winter. I sometimes sleep in the recliner by the wood stove. Last night I watched a little MNF and NBA. I have a few shows I watch on the comedy channel. But I always check in with that chunk of channels about travel, science, history and military. I rarely watch an entire sporting event straight through. I usually have a reserve channel that I click to.

Forum List

Back