Is there more truth in Shakespeare than the Bible?

Shakespeare drew from a rich well of Biblical themes, as well as Greek and Roman drama.
Tolkien was mentioned a few times in this thread. He was Biblically inspired (in addition to Viking and Greek mythology). The Bible is a cornerstone of all these authors (Faulkner was mentioned as well).

So the question is, do you prefer the cake or the icing?

Which would provide you with more solace on a desert island?
William Shakespeare's fiction is of no interest to me.

I'll take a Douay Rheims bible or a Greek New Testament with English subtitles any day to any other book for solace.

The main thing you need to get out of solace is to endure slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (oops! there goes my Shakespeare again !!).

I love the story of Moses.

I love the story of Elijah.

I love the story of Maccabees.

I love the story of Jesus. Jesus gives us hope.

Jesus answers questions that nobody else can.

Shakespeare drew from a rich well of Biblical themes, as well as Greek and Roman drama.
Tolkien was mentioned a few times in this thread. He was Biblically inspired (in addition to Viking and Greek mythology). The Bible is a cornerstone of all these authors (Faulkner was mentioned as well).

Tolkien is entertaining. The Hobbit is funny. The Trilogy of the Rings is awe inspiring.

Remember that the end of the whole Tolkien matter was the 3 rings with red, white, and blue stones.

Red white and blue is British, French, but most notable American.

The USA saved Britain and France's life during WW1 and that is what Tolkien analogizes from.

The USA also saved their lives big time (even more) during WW2.

I would say that the bible would be more comforting on a desert island than a work of fiction because if you are about to die then it may be a good idea to get in touch with your spiritual side.

For the one person on a desert island both bible or fiction book could be equally comforting or no, it depends of person's psychology...:) All religions have a primarily social orientation...
So what do you want instead? the Bagvadgita?

I find the sayings of Jesus morally uplifting. I don't find the old testament uplifting at all.
The O.T. is fascinating for its many rules.

Thou shalt not have sex with a mother and her daughter.

Thou shalt not have sex with animals.

Thou shalt not have sex with your own gender.

Thou shalt not dig a pit and leave it uncovered for people and animals to fall into.

Those are all fascinating rules.

Jesus was a very permissive Son Of God whereas the O.T. is more strict about what it takes to be loved by God.

Who are these two?

946px-Lear_and_the_Fool_III.ii.jpg
King Lear and ??

Which would provide you with more solace on a desert island?
I hope you are not Catholic. If you are then every priest and nun you ever met failed you.

If you are Protestant then that is par for the course. Their children by and large are lost.

If you are atheist then you are a little heathen mocking God.

If you are Muslim then you are mocking Christianity and Judaism. Ditto if Hindu.

I would say that the bible would be more comforting on a desert island than a work of fiction because if you are about to die then it may be a good idea to get in touch with your spiritual side.

For the one person on a desert island both bible or fiction book could be equally comforting or no, it depends of person's psychology...:) All religions have a primarily social orientation...
I hope you are not Russian Orthodox.

If you are then every priest you ever met failed you ... .

So what do you want instead? the Bagvadgita?

Instead of what? As for me, I prefer Bible, because I was born and live in Christian society. But for the single people on desert island... For the some peoples the Bible couldn't take effect too... And some people would be glad to have any book of fiction... Maybe, about Robinson Crusoe, why not?

I hope you are not Russian Orthodox.

If you are then every priest you ever met failed you ... .

Why not? What's wrong in Russian Orthodox church? :) We keep original Jesus ideas for a centuries, without any "adaptations" or "modernizations"... :)))

Tolkien is entertaining. The Hobbit is funny. The Trilogy of the Rings is awe inspiring.

Remember that the end of the whole Tolkien matter was the 3 rings with red, white, and blue stones.

The USA saved Britain and France's life during WW1 and that is what Tolkien analogizes from.

Ummm I don't think so. Tolkein served briefly in WWI if I remember correctly, and saw the madness of WWII, but Lord of the Rings is NOT an analogy about USA saving the world.

Ummm I don't think so. Tolkein served briefly in WWI if I remember correctly, and saw the madness of WWII, but Lord of the Rings is NOT an analogy about USA saving the world.

He was British writer, maybe he means Britain as world saviour?

At least, analogy of Mordor and USSR still using almost in every issues of yellow press, who raise the themes of Tolkien or USSR... :)

But what we really can say about hidden thoughts of J.R.R.T? He was married all his life, since an age of 21, but his main novel is about ordinar small man from Hobbiton (analogue of old England), who overcomes giantic difficulties for one purpose: drop the RING to a deadly flame of Orodruin.... :)))))

Forum List

Back