Is there more truth in Shakespeare than the Bible?

I would want three books: The Bible, The Complete Works of Shakespeare and The Complete GK Chesterton. But of the two: Shakespeare or the Bible?? The Bible I've read a number of times already so Shakespeare.

Greg

• Banned
Who are these two?

946px-Lear_and_the_Fool_III.ii.jpg

I think Shakespeare is very insightful about human nature in general. The Bible has a lot more ideas on how to live a good life.

Which would provide you with more solace on a desert island?

Both would end up a some point being one of two things, toilet paper and fuel for a fire, and my solace would be found imagining the day I was out of the desert.

The bible. Shakespeare is beautiful, but rather short on solace. Plus it isn't the Word of God.

Who are these two?

946px-Lear_and_the_Fool_III.ii.jpg

Saruman and Wormtongue??

Greg

Or...........? lol

I'd have to take Tolkien to a desert island.

The Silmarillion for example.
The Silmarillion is great--Song of the Ainur was so beautiful it made me cry. But if I had to choose one book to take to a desert island, it would be Faulkner's Go Down Moses. Could read those stories forever without getting sick of them.

I think Shakespeare is very insightful about human nature in general. The Bible has a lot more ideas on how to live a good life.

He Bible speaks to human nature more then it's given credit for. And it doesn't stop at our nature being sinful. I need to go read more Shakespeare to see so I can bring a deeper comment.

He Bible speaks to human nature more then it's given credit for. And it doesn't stop at our nature being sinful. I need to go read more Shakespeare to see so I can bring a deeper comment.
Shakespeare was a genius about observing the essence of human nature. His characters are just as real and believable today as they were in whatever time he set them. Only the costumes change. Macbeth and his ambitious wife, King Lear's vanity and the loyalty of family, Hamlet's questions about justice, revenge, the sanctity of life, Othello's tragic jealousy.
While Abraham was a pretty juicy read, I don't remember a lot in the Bible that resonates the way Shakespeare does. Maybe it's just because the Bible's stories are so much more remote.

I find the sayings of Jesus morally uplifting. I don't find the old testament uplifting at all.
But it is awe inspiring. I find the ot a lot more compellingnthe.older I get and the more I understand how entwined it is with the nt. And proverbs....wow just wow.

Shakespeare was a genius about observing the essence of human nature. His characters are just as real and believable today as they were in whatever time he set them. Only the costumes change. Macbeth and his ambitious wife, King Lear's vanity and the loyalty of family, Hamlet's questions about justice, revenge, the sanctity of life, Othello's tragic jealousy.
While Abraham was a pretty juicy read, I don't remember a lot in the Bible that resonates the way Shakespeare does. Maybe it's just because the Bible's stories are so much more remote.

Loved king Lear. Saw the play at Lincoln Center in Ft. Collins Colorado.

I would say that the bible would be more comforting on a desert island than a work of fiction because if you are about to die then it may be a good idea to get in touch with your spiritual side.

I would say that the bible would be more comforting on a desert island than a work of fiction because if you are about to die then it may be a good idea to get in touch with your spiritual side.

For the one person on a desert island both bible or fiction book could be equally comforting or no, it depends of person's psychology...:) All religions have a primarily social orientation...

Forum List

Back