Is there anything in life worse to be than an armchair chickenhawk?

Anything worst than an ArmChair ChickenHawk, how about a simple Pacifist.

A simple pacifist wants to sit on his couch and have soldiers be given the same opportunity.

An armchair chickenhawk wants to sit on his couch, making zero sacrifice while demanding others make the ultimate sacrifice.

You'll have to provide some kind of breakdown as to how a pacifist is worse than an armchair chickenhawk. I'm not a simple pacifist, but at least simple pacifists follow principle, unlike armchair chickenhawks.

And again, a person want to sit in his house, and have firemen fight fires. Where is your moral outrage at that?

a TRUE pacifist is actually a beutiful and tragic person, who is willing to basically be enslaved or killed in the name of non violence, no matter what the opponent is. They are also very rare, as they tend not to last too long.

Because fighting fires has absolutely nothing to do with morality. Speaking out in hopes of putting other people in the line of bullets and asking them to kill in my opinion does.

Yeah and that true pacifist you gave example of is someone who follows a principle and is honest. The "principle" you follow is you want government to make a decision that requires life and death commitment from people other than you.

Are you reading what I'm saying? That's exactly what I'm asking people to do, those sorts of things, if they're physically incapable of being a soldier. But only after and all avenues for physical deployment and trying to get on the battlefield are exhausted.
Most of Congress would be unable to enlist, for age limitations if nothing else.

Now but did they serve when they could?
Or did they get exemptions from the draft and such?

He is not in congress but was one of the biggest warmongers of the past decade or so.
Cheney got repeated deferrels from the draft.
And Bush II declined going to Nam.
I was not nor were thousands of others given the choice to decline going to Nam.

I have served, been wounded and have killed for my country. I am against war except as a very last resort in real defense of my country.

for you armchair war hacks out there. War is HELL! it is not like a John Wayne movie.
Ummm...Bush II volunteered to go to Vietnam.

Lol every single time you've tried to make the comparison i've addressed it over and over again, what exactly have I ignored?

you have addressed it, you havent countered it. You just keep going on. A rational person would admit defeat at this point, but your need to insult people who disagree with you is winning out.

But by all means, keep up with the ad hominems, it makes my job alot easier.

Yes I countered it in the very 1st post I made, asking people to make the ultimate sacrifice and asking ppl to shovel snow isn't even a valid comparison.

If I said you were a coward I shouldn't have, but I do 100% think that your opinion on this subject is cowardly. If you take that as a personal insult so be it, but it's my opinion and stating opinions is the purpose of message boards.

Um, you are basically calling me a coward, if you are calling my opinion cowardly. And you ignore the firefighter thing, and bring up the sanitaton one, i wonder why?

And countering opinions is what is done on message boards as well. I just want you to recognize that you ARE making an ad hominem attack, going after the person, and not thier position.

you have addressed it, you havent countered it. You just keep going on. A rational person would admit defeat at this point, but your need to insult people who disagree with you is winning out.

But by all means, keep up with the ad hominems, it makes my job alot easier.

Yes I countered it in the very 1st post I made, asking people to make the ultimate sacrifice and asking ppl to shovel snow isn't even a valid comparison.

If I said you were a coward I shouldn't have, but I do 100% think that your opinion on this subject is cowardly. If you take that as a personal insult so be it, but it's my opinion and stating opinions is the purpose of message boards.

Um, you are basically calling me a coward, if you are calling my opinion cowardly. And you ignore the firefighter thing, and bring up the sanitaton one, i wonder why?

And countering opinions is what is done on message boards as well. I just want you to recognize that you ARE making an ad hominem attack, going after the person, and not thier position.

I'm not saying you're a coward. Without even knowing you I bet you would try to stop someone who was beating a woman in the street even if the man beating her up were bigger and stronger than you, but on this separate issue I view your opinion is cowardly.

Agree to disagree on the ad hominem part.

A simple pacifist wants to sit on his couch and have soldiers be given the same opportunity.

An armchair chickenhawk wants to sit on his couch, making zero sacrifice while demanding others make the ultimate sacrifice.

You'll have to provide some kind of breakdown as to how a pacifist is worse than an armchair chickenhawk. I'm not a simple pacifist, but at least simple pacifists follow principle, unlike armchair chickenhawks.

And again, a person want to sit in his house, and have firemen fight fires. Where is your moral outrage at that?

a TRUE pacifist is actually a beutiful and tragic person, who is willing to basically be enslaved or killed in the name of non violence, no matter what the opponent is. They are also very rare, as they tend not to last too long.

Because fighting fires has absolutely nothing to do with morality. Speaking out in hopes of putting other people in the line of bullets and asking them to kill in my opinion does.

Yeah and that true pacifist you gave example of is someone who follows a principle and is honest. The "principle" you follow is you want government to make a decision that requires life and death commitment from people other than you.

Putting a life at risk is putting a life at risk. Me asking a fireman to risk his life so I dont have to fight fires is just the same as asking a volenteer solider in a war to risk his. The only time it doesnt compare, is again, during a draft. Once the country asks you directly to fight for it, then if you beleive in it, you have to go.

Our entire society is based on making other people take risks that we cannot or will not take ourselves. I ask fishermen to take risks so I can eat Filet o Fish meal, I ask miners to take risks so I can drive around in a car made of metal, and back to firemen, I ask them to risk running into a burning building to top a fire, that I do not want to do myself.

Most of Congress would be unable to enlist, for age limitations if nothing else.

He is not in congress but was one of the biggest warmongers of the past decade or so.
I was not nor were thousands of others given the choice to decline going to Nam.

I have served, been wounded and have killed for my country. I am against war except as a very last resort in real defense of my country.

for you armchair war hacks out there. War is HELL! it is not like a John Wayne movie.

No he volunteered to defend the skies of Houston, Texas during the Vietnam War.

So he wasn't willing to fight in a war like the one in Vietnam where no american freedoms were being challenged, but he was willing to do everything in his power to start a war in Iraq when no american freedoms were being challenged.

I'm not saying you're a coward. Without even knowing you I bet you would try to stop someone who was beating a woman in the street even if the man beating her up were bigger and stronger than you, but on this separate issue I view your opinion is cowardly.

You can't seperate the two, to do so is a cop-out. The whole point of your argument boils down to those who support military action without being in the military themselves are cowards. At least live up to the fact you are attacking a person, and not thier ideas.

Yeah and that true pacifist you gave example of is someone who follows a principle and is honest. The "principle" you follow is you want government to make a decision that requires life and death commitment from people other than you.[/QUOTE]

Putting a life at risk is putting a life at risk. Me asking a fireman to risk his life so I dont have to fight fires is just the same as asking a volenteer solider in a war to risk his. The only time it doesnt compare, is again, during a draft. Once the country asks you directly to fight for it, then if you beleive in it, you have to go.

Our entire society is based on making other people take risks that we cannot or will not take ourselves. I ask fishermen to take risks so I can eat Filet o Fish meal, I ask miners to take risks so I can drive around in a car made of metal, and back to firemen, I ask them to risk running into a burning building to top a fire, that I do not want to do myself.[/QUOTE]

Again you're equating firefighting to being a soldier on a battlefield, I bet very few if any firefighters would agree with you. Putting life at high risk and asking to kill others in war isn't remotely close to firefighting, we'll have to agree to disagree on that too.

The next paragraph you're talking about free market capitalism, has nothing to do with government and you're making a financial commitment to those entities, you're not making any extra financial commitment to a war than you would with your taxes during non-war times.

You can't seperate the two, to do so is a cop-out. The whole point of your argument boils down to those who support military action without being in the military themselves are cowards. At least live up to the fact you are attacking a person, and not thier ideas.

I'm attacking your view on this subject, not you personally, I don't know you personally so in my opinion that's impossible.

Maybe you can't seperate the 2, but I can.

So he wasn't willing to fight in a war like the one in Vietnam where no american freedoms were being challenged, but he was willing to do everything in his power to start a war in Iraq when no american freedoms were being challenged.

Wrong. He volunteered to go to Vietnam.
Or this confirmation that Bush volunteered for Operation Palace Alert, which would have sent him to Viet Nam in combat had he been accepted:

A former senior Virginia Air National Guard commander, who served with George W. Bush in the Texas Air Guard, says Bush volunteered for Vietnam combat service but was turned down because he did not have the required flight experience. ...

According to Campenni, Bush inquired about participating in a volunteer program called Palace Alert that used Air National Guard pilots flying in the F-102 Delta Dagger interceptor jet in Vietnam.

The Air Guard advised Bush he did not have the desired 500 hours of flight time as a pilot to qualify for Palace Alert duty, and, in any event, the program was winding down and not accepting more volunteers.​

"I want you to go potentially die for my political opinion."

If soldiers are out preaching for war with Iran, North Korea etc, so be it. But it's always amazed me how people can go as far as demanding more war when they're completely unwilling to make any sacrifice whatsoever for that cause.

That line of logic does not hold water. That is similar to saying a person does not want fires fought unless they are a fireman, or does not want streets cleaned of snow unless they go and become sanitation people and plow it themselves.

The comparison might be valid in the case of a draft, where a person who supports a given war dodges a draft call up. Our millitary is volutary, and is under civillian control.It is the natural order for it to recive direction, and support from those not in uniform.
.....ESPECIALLY from those who hauled-ASS, during 'Nam.......right????
Wankin.gif

The CHICKENHAWK-FILES

HERE

pinkhawks.jpg

PHOTO-FINISH

HERE

Or this confirmation that Bush volunteered for Operation Palace Alert, which would have sent him to Viet Nam in combat had he been accepted:

A former senior Virginia Air National Guard commander, who served with George W. Bush in the Texas Air Guard, says Bush volunteered for Vietnam combat service but was turned down because he did not have the required flight experience. ...

According to Campenni, Bush inquired about participating in a volunteer program called Palace Alert that used Air National Guard pilots flying in the F-102 Delta Dagger interceptor jet in Vietnam.

The Air Guard advised Bush he did not have the desired 500 hours of flight time as a pilot to qualify for Palace Alert duty, and, in any event, the program was winding down and not accepting more volunteers.​

So in your opinion

1.) He didn't know about the flight requirement and figured they just would've thrown him in a plane and sent off to war without experience.

2.) He couldn't change his path and enlist in another department once he learned of the requirements he didn't meet.

The better view is to just ignore your blog entirely.

Washingtonpost.com: At Height of Vietnam, Bush Picks Guard

It was May 27, 1968, at the height of the Vietnam War. Bush was 12 days away from losing his student deferment from the draft at a time when Americans were dying in combat at the rate of 350 a week. The unit Bush wanted to join offered him the chance to fulfill his military commitment at a base in Texas. It was seen as an escape route from Vietnam by many men his age, and usually had a long waiting list.

Bush had scored only 25 percent on a "pilot aptitude" test, the lowest acceptable grade. But his father was then a congressman from Houston, and the commanders of the Texas Guard clearly had an appreciation of politics.

Bush was sworn in as an airman the same day he applied. His commander, Col. Walter B. "Buck" Staudt, was apparently so pleased to have a VIP's son in his unit that he later staged a special ceremony so he could have his picture taken administering the oath, instead of the captain who actually had sworn Bush in. Later, when Bush was commissioned a second lieutenant by another subordinate, Staudt again staged a special ceremony for the cameras, this time with Bush's father the congressman – a supporter of the Vietnam War – standing proudly in the background.

If soldiers are out preaching for war with Iran, North Korea etc, so be it. But it's always amazed me how people can go as far as demanding more war when they're completely unwilling to make any sacrifice whatsoever for that cause.

Anything worst than an ArmChair ChickenHawk, how about a simple Pacifist.

In the face of Tyranny the Pacifist is on the side of Tyranny.

I can understand why you're uncomfortable having your side's hypocrisy exposed.

Nah, dude, it's that I don't play that game.

If I wanted to I could go off on conservative hypocrisy but it isn't my style nor is it the topic of this thread.
Uh huh.

Yeah huh.

I don't subscribe to the broadbrush "liberals this" and "conservatives that" way of going about things that I (and I mean no offense here) have observed you do. There are conservatives who may want lower taxes but are fine with a progressive (bracketed) tax system and there are oodles of liberals who you chide for wanting others to pay more than them who themselves pay more than many others, myself included. So what? It's a bad comparison to someone* sitting on the sidelines while pushing people to go kill and be killed when they are capable but unwilling to do so themselves. The "liberals" in your scenario have to actually to take part in the progressive tax system while the chickenhawk sits on the couch and watches the highlights on TV.

*a chickenhawk

So now that that's cleared up, enjoy your retirement!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

THAT'S a fuckin' Lie......​

"In his not-so-memorable interview on Meet The Press with Tim Russert on February 8, 2004, Russert stated the facts: ". . . you didn't volunteer or enlist to go [to Vietnam]", to which Bush replied "No, I didn't. You're right."

HERE

applic2_300.gif

Ya' gotta quit listening to Porky Limbaugh.

He's a GUTLESS-LIAR, as well.​

How Daddy Kept Dumbya's Ass Outta 'NAM!!!

HERE

So in your opinion

1.) He didn't know about the flight requirement and figured they just would've thrown him in a plane and sent off to war without experience.

2.) He couldn't change his path and enlist in another department once he learned of the requirements he didn't meet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyFdZqWDn3c&feature=related[/ame]​

What about people who make choices what to do with other's money regarding things like retirement (Social Security), medical care (Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare) and welfare? Does that amaze you too or does it only amaze you when people make choices regarding forcing others to do things you oppose?

What about people who make choices what to do with other's money regarding things like retirement (Social Security), medical care (Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare) and welfare? Does that amaze you too or does it only amaze you when people make choices regarding forcing others to do things you oppose?

I'm 100% against all those gov't programs you listed, but I view allocation of money and asking people to risk their lives and kill others as different.

Last edited:
"Is there anything in life worse to be than an armchair chickenhawk?"

Yes, an uncompromising peacenik.

Forum List

Back