Is there a Ford in your future?

Soaring

May 30, 2009
46% More Likely To Buy Ford ‘Cause It Didn’t Get A Bailout
Monday, July 27, 2009 Email to a Friend ShareThis.Advertisement
Public opposition to the auto bailouts may translating into consumer buying decisions, with 46% of Americans now saying they are more likely to buy a car from Ford because it did not take government money to stay in business.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 13% say they are less likely to buy a Ford because the company didn’t receive a bailout, and 37% say it has no impact on their car buying.

At the same time, nearly one-out-of-five Americans (19%) say someone in their family or a friend has chosen not to buy a car from GM or Chrysler because they took bailout money. Fifty-six percent (56%) say family or friends have not steered clear of GM or Chrysler for this reason, but 26% are not sure.

Most Americans (53%) continue to believe that it is at least somewhat likely that the government, now that it has substantial ownership stakes in GM and Chrysler, will pass laws and regulations giving those two automakers an unfair advantage over Ford. Thirty percent (30%) say it’s very likely. This suspicion has lessened slightly since May.

However, one-out-of-three investors (33%) say it is very likely that the government will give an unfair advantage to the bailed-out automakers.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter.

GM’s recent emergence from bankruptcy with government help seems to have done little to change Americans’ minds. Only 17% say they are more likely to buy a GM car now that the company is out of bankruptcy, while 22% say they are less likely to do so. Fifty-nine percent (59%) say the end of GM’s bankruptcy has no impact on their buying decisions.

Just 13% of Americans say someone in their family or one of their friends has bought a car from Ford recently because it did not take a government bailout. For 73%, that’s not the case, and 14% aren’t sure.

Fifty-one percent (51%) of investors are more likely to buy a Ford, compared to 41% of non-investors. Those working in the private sector by 11 points over government employees give the nod to Ford because it didn’t seek a bailout.

Investors and private sector employees also are less likely to buy a GM car even though the automaker has emerged from bankruptcy.

In June, only 42% of those who currently own a GM car said they were even somewhat likely to buy a GM product for their next car.

Forty-one percent (41%) of Americans expect the quality of GM cars to get worse now that the federal government is the company’s majority owner. Just 19% believe the quality of GM cars will improve.

Most Americans have consistently opposed bailouts for the troubled automakers since they were first proposed late last year.

Only 26% of Americans say it was a good idea for the federal government to take ownership of GM as the auto giant was on the verge of collapse. Seventeen percent (17%) say Americans should protest the bailout by boycotting GM and refusing to buy its cars.

Eighty percent (80%) of voters want the government to sell its stake in General Motors and Chrysler as soon as possible.

GM has a bad image problem.. unions pandered to causing all the bondholders and shareholders and pensioners to take heavy losses,, (I personally call it theft) and their bankruptcy was a "special bankruptcy" so we all know they skirted the law,, and lastly they stole valuable business from families who had spent generations building them.. soooo if I ever buy another American auto it will be a Ford,, but I don't need anything right now! I am pulling for Ford to make it though..

cash for clunkers is a terrible program....only one of my vehicles is covered under it....so i am being punished for having the sense to buy a car that got 30 miles hwy....but the idiots who bought suvs getting 8 miles per gal....are getting cash rewards for their mind blowing stupidity....

and you hummer drivers...hell you people should just be banned from driving...most hummer drivers are scarey cats who cany drive but dont care to kill your family to survive.

cash for clunkers is a terrible program....only one of my vehicles is covered under it....so i am being punished for having the sense to buy a car that got 30 miles hwy....but the idiots who bought suvs getting 8 miles per gal....are getting cash rewards for their mind blowing stupidity....

and you hummer drivers...hell you people should just be banned from driving...most hummer drivers are scarey cats who cany drive but dont care to kill your family to survive.

cash for Clunkers is another government giveaway for which people who are responsible with their money foot the bill.

I especially love the GM ads saying that they will double the "rebate" to 9000 dollars.

Imagine that GM gets ass loads of our tax dollars to bail out the UAW and screw over the investors and the government takes more of our tax dollars to pump up car sales.

So nice we get to pay twice.

It's about fucking time people started being responsible for themselves.

My wife and I bought a car this year after getting by with just one vehicle for the past 4 years. We dropped to one car to save money we used to open our business. In other words, we did the prudent responsible thing.

And when we decided we could afford a second car, we bought a 2 year old car with 25K miles. Not a new car for twice the price. Anyone who bothers to figure out the math knows that a 2 year old car is the best deal on the market. but once again the fucking idiots in Washington prove that prudence and responsibility with your money is NOT their priority.

When will people wake the fuck up?

Oh and to answer the OP

I will never buy a car from any company that took my tax dollars to save their asses.

Last edited:
I bleed FORD blue, and have only owned a couple vehicles that weren't, and that was because of deals to good to pass up.

Never owned a brand new one though, and I don't see it in the near future either, just doesn't make financial sense for me.

I bleed FORD blue, and have only owned a couple vehicles that weren't, and that was because of deals to good to pass up.

Never owned a brand new one though, and I don't see it in the near future either, just doesn't make financial sense for me.

buy a used car and do not add to the profit of any auto maker.

We can benefit from the idiots who waste their money buying and leasing new cars.

Ironic that the CASH FOR CLUNKERS program is actually making cars with crappy mileage worth more than cars (of otherwise similar value and age) which got better mileage, isn't it?

My truck gets about 28-31 mpg.

So when I trade it in, I may buy a junker to throw in with it, just to get that junker's trade in value.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we practice to decieve (the invisible hand of the market)

I don't plan to ever buy another new car. That first year reduction in price of about ten thousand dollars is ridiculous. My '65 Mustang runs just fine and gets me where I am needing to go.

In my life I've owned Chrysler, Oldsmobile (were they GM cars?), Mercury. They all gave me problems, usually expensive fixes. We bought our first Toyota in the mid 80's and another in the late 80's and loved them. Bought a Honda 5 years ago and love it. Always thought "that's it, T & H from now on'.

Because Ford did not take any government money I will absolutely look at them when our next car purchase rolls around and will very likely buy one. I'm certainly more inclined to do so since they showed they can (and do) run things right. Like Skull, I will never, ever, ever buy any government car. Never.

I was behind a Ford Fusion yesterday on the way home from work. I thought it was a Toyota until I saw the badges. Nice looking car.

06ford-fusion-v6-17.jpg

MSRP starts at 19K, I would probably buy one. The Focus looks nice too. Looks like Ford is re-introducing the Taurus as well?

Ford Vehicle Showroom

Last edited:

Forum List

Back