Vitter defends Southern influence in GOP, slams Voinovich

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Vitter defends Southern influence in GOP, slams Voinovich « - Blogs from CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana slammed fellow Republican George Voinovich Wednesday for saying the GOP's problems stem from the fact that it is "being taken over by Southerners," calling the Ohio senator "a moderate, really wishy-washy."

"I'm on the side of conservatives getting back to core conservative values," Vitter told the Washington Times
. "There are a lot of us from the South who hold those values, which I think the party is supposed to be about. We strayed from them in the past few years, and that's why we performed so badly in the national elections."

I'm guessing getting back to core Conservative values includes hiring hookers? :lol:

Voinovich, who has decided not to run for re-election next year, told a newspaper in his home state that Southern dominance of the GOP was hurting the party elsewhere.

"We got too many Jim DeMints and Tom Coburns," Voinovich told the Columbus Dispatch Monday. "It's the Southerners….

"They get on TV and go 'errrr, errrrr . . .' People hear them and say, 'These people, they're Southerners,'" he said. "The party's being taken over by Southerners. What the hell have they got to do with Ohio?"

Voinovich is spot on, the GOP won't listen to him though.

Fuck you. Voinovich is a dumbass.

I said he was spot on here. :lol:

Never said about elsewhere, though I never really seen the guy talk elsewhere to give my opinion on that.

Then fuck you again. This little tirade was nothing more than a rant of prejuduce against those from the South. Last time I checked, southern states were a part of the Union and their elected officials no matter what party, have as much right to exert influence as any uppity elitist fucking yankee like Voinovich. This isn't anything more than a yankee pissed off because he wasn't born by God's grace to be southern.

Right Voinovich, we should get back to our true roots as a permanent minority party whose only true agenda is sopping up what ever spittle the dems don't get around to.

Good thing you aren't running again dude you're another flaming political hack that just doesn't understand that winning national elections is about forming coalitions. Right now like it or not the only people available to the Republicans that have any hope of tipping the balance in the favor of your party is like it or not the South and its legions of social conservatives.

I think there IS a significant difference in basic values between the Southerners and (certainly at least the ) North-easterners.

We see it manifesting in election after election, after all.

Denying it is silly.

We even see it within the republican party, after all, and the democratic party, too.

The so called moderate Republicans are almost all from the NE.

The so-called bluedog Dems are almost all from the South and West.

In some ways the war between the states has never ended.

The shooting stopped, but the battle continues politically.

President Carter(D)...Southerner, born Plains GA

President Reagan(R)...Northerner, born Tampico IL

President Bush Sr(R)...Northerner, born in Milton, MA

President Clinton(D)...Southerner, born in Hope, AR

President Bush Jr(R)...Northerner, born in New Haven CT

President Obama(D)...Neither, born in Hawaii (or perhaps Kenya)

So tell me again who has the Southern influence?

I think there IS a significant difference in basic values between the Southerners and (certainly at least the ) North-easterners.

Denying it is silly.

We even see it within the republican party, after all, and the democratic party, too.

This post is spot on.

I have said for a long time, to many of the southerners - the Civil War has not ended.

I don't give a flying fuck where the POTUS was born.

Look at the whole picture of elections over the last fifty years and tell me there's no fundamental difference between these two culturals.

Your list attempts to deceive by using the Bush's as Northerners by virtue of birthplace.

They are Texans, (how they see themselves) for the most part, and appealed highly to the southerners much more than the northerners.

Reagan was a Californian who made his debut appealing to Southerners, worked his politics that way - and they STILL think of him as a Demi-god.

That dog don't hunt.

Voinovich is wishy washy, I can't wait until he retires. I love my other senator, Sherrod Brown, he is so smart and decisive, I hope we get another one just like him.

It's been annoying with Voinovich and DeWine as Ohio Senators, both coasting to retirement for the past 10 years.

Geezus, go already..

I think it's funny when Repubs start eating their own. :razz:

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,

Ole times there were not forgottin,

Look away, look away, look away Dixieland!

Your list attempts to deceive by using the Bush's as Northerners by virtue of birthplace.

They are Texans, (how they see themselves) for the most part, and appealed highly to the southerners much more than the northerners.

Reagan was a Californian who made his debut appealing to Southerners, worked his politics that way - and they STILL think of him as a Demi-god.

That dog don't hunt.

Sorry, Bush Senior was raised in Connecticut, Reagan was raised in Northern Illinois and attended university in Eureka, IL.

Bush Jr. I'm willing to concede was raised in Midland, Texas.

How they see themselves is irrelevant to the conversation.

I consider myself a Missourian, as you might glean from my screenname, but that doesn't change the fact that I was born and raised in the Ultra liberal DC area section of Maryland.

Thank God I'm still a technically a Southerner.

Last edited:

I don't give a flying fuck where the POTUS was born.

Look at the whole picture of elections over the last fifty years and tell me there's no fundamental difference between these two culturals.

So it's not where there from or the culture they were raised in that counts...it's what they believe that's important?

Funny...that was my point too.

That dog don't hunt.

Sorry, Bush Senior was raised in Connecticut, Reagan was raised in Northern Illinois and attended university in Eureka, IL.

I consider myself a Missourian, as you might glean from my screenname, but that doesn't change the fact that I was born and raised in the Ultra liberal DC area section of Maryland.

Birthplace is tertiary to the fact thos you mentioned are ideological brethren to the Southerners.

Calling them "Northerners" to try and make a political point is seen for the slight of hand it is.

That dog don't hunt.

Birthplace is tertiary to the fact thos you mentioned are ideological brethren to the Southerners.

Calling them "Northerners" to try and make a political point is seen for the slight of hand it is.

I think you just proved my point, although I cannot find a definition for the word 'tertiary' that fits the context of your statement.

Last edited:
I don't know how your premise negates the general point editec was making here:

Denying it is silly.

Forum List

Back