Is the US a democracy?

The flaws in democracy are well known, but the flaws in any other system -- exploitation of the non-privileged -- are much worse. So I'm in agreement with Churchill here, who said that Democracy is the worst form of government except for all others that have been tried.

Churchill also said Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.

And we don't live in a true Democracy - we live in a Constitutional Republic with some of the more idealistic trappings of a Democracy.

You cant seem to admitt this country is a Democracy.

It troubles you that we are ?

The flaws in democracy are well known, but the flaws in any other system -- exploitation of the non-privileged -- are much worse. So I'm in agreement with Churchill here, who said that Democracy is the worst form of government except for all others that have been tried.

Churchill also said Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.

And we don't live in a true Democracy - we live in a Constitutional Republic with some of the more idealistic trappings of a Democracy.

We are living in a democracy.

I wasnt talking about pure, direct or true as you claimed

see the complete lack of devotion to democracy from the right?

democracy is just too hard to understand for some

I will put it to ya this way hardheaded....

If we were a 'true democracy' The large states such as Texas and Florida, per capita, would always decide who was who and so forth. The smaller states have too few citizens.
Hence the electoral college and such.... I dont like it, but it is what it is TM.

Look at Texas' economy compared to the rest of America. We are doing relatively good here thanks to a Republican governor mostly conservative governing body.
There is no way Obama is going to do well in my neck of the woods :eusa_hand:

You can tell us its not a representative republic, or a democratic republic, Constitutional Republic, or representative democratic republic.... whatever....its still not just a democracy.

Clear enough for ya?

Last edited:

We are living in a democracy.

I wasnt talking about pure, direct or true as you claimed

:bsflag:

Am I going to have to go back and quote you some more?

I mean, those are your words right?

If we were a 'true democracy' The large states such as Texas and Florida, per capita, would always decide who was who and so forth. The smaller states have too few citizens.
Hence the electoral college and such.... I dont like it, but it is what it is TM.

Look at Texas' economy compared to the rest of America. We are doing relatively good here thanks to a Republican governor mostly conservative governing body.

You can tell us its not a representative republic, or a democratic republic, Constitutional Republic, or representative democratic republic.... whatever....its still not just a democracy.

Clear enough for ya?

California has the largest population followed by Texas, New York comes in third. Now let's count the illegal aliens that could be voting in states without voter ID. In a Democracy those three states would get to decide everything.

Nine states make up over 50% of the population. Of those top 9 states only 2 are red states, the rest vote blue. Is it fair that a few states get to decide the outcome of every presidential election?? In a democracy that's how it would work.

If majority always ruled there would have been no blacks or women voting, ever.

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

Last edited:

Clear enough for ya?

California has the largest population followed by Texas, New York comes in third. Now let's count the illegal aliens that could be voting in states without voter ID. In a Democracy those three states would get to decide everything.

Nine states make up over 50% of the population. Of those top 9 states only 2 are red states, the rest vote blue. Is it fair that a few states get to decide the outcome of every presidential election?? In a democracy that's how it would work.

If majority always ruled there would have been no blacks or women voting, ever.

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red states and blue states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:clap2:

You put more thought into it than I was willing to.... thanks for making even more crystal clear.

Lets see how she spins it now.

Popcorn-09-Psych.gif

The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting different results.

:cuckoo:

or voting for the same incompetent (sorry) incumbent assholes most of whom did absolutely nothing on the last round, other than make damned sure enough of their constituents are fooled into re-electing them in spite of an abysmal record.

But then as some wise person said remember, you get what you settle for. :lol:

Forum List

Back