Is the stand your ground law, a good law?

Well to begin with let us examine exactly what the stand your ground law says.

'A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.'

Opinions on the Stand Your Ground Law are liable to vary depending on whether you are on the delivering or receiving end. If you shoot someone in the back, while they turn around (possibly to pick up a chair to beat you to death with), you better have a lawyer. The law is more likely to side with whoever got screwed in the exchange.

'A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.'

Opinions on the Stand Your Ground Law are liable to vary depending on whether you are on the delivering or receiving end. If you shoot someone in the back, while they turn around (possibly to pick up a chair to beat you to death with), you better have a lawyer. The law is more likely to side with whoever got screwed in the exchange.

There is a thing we have, called the jury system. Not perfect but the best available in the world. They can usually sort out the facts and come to the correct decision....not always but in most cases. Even in the highly politized Zimmerman case they came up with the right decision despite all the death threats they recieved and the media lies.

Even jimmy carter and they do not get more liberal, conceded the jury made the right decision.

Most of these 'controversial' cases today in regards to the stand your ground law is more about politics and racial matters than actual law. The fallacious and phoney politics of black victimhood propagated and sensationalized by the media is the problem...and of course obama and eric holder were big factors in the peresecution of Zimmerman....they wanted to help lynch a innocent man in order to advance their agenda of black victimhood.

It is a great law...otherwise, if you defend yourself in public, you will automatically have to prove that you, not the criminal, could not escape before you engaged in self defense. That is, you, the victim, will be presumed guilty if you cannot affirmatively prove you could not escape. And the ones determining your ability to escape will be the prosecutor from the luxury of his office with his future political career guiding his decision.

With Stan your ground, you simply need to show you were under threat of imminent death or great bodily harm...

It's not a matter of "good" or "bad."

The issue is whether the law is understood by law enforcement, the courts, and armed private citizens.

In many jurisdictions the law is still evolving, lacks comprehensive precedent, and is not being followed or applied consistently.
Then there's that. Clayton actually nailed it here.

No.

Fewer dead people is better than more dead people.

Then you support Americans owning and carrying guns, since Americans use their guns 2.4 million times a year to save lives.....and as more Americans have owned and carried guns, our gun murder rate went down 49%...

Right?

There is a thing we have, called the jury system. Not perfect but the best available in the world. They can usually sort out the facts and come to the correct decision....not always but in most cases. Even in the highly politized Zimmerman case they came up with the right decision despite all the death threats they recieved and the media lies.

Even jimmy carter and they do not get more liberal, conceded the jury made the right decision.

Most of these 'controversial' cases today in regards to the stand your ground law is more about politics and racial matters than actual law. The fallacious and phoney politics of black victimhood propagated and sensationalized by the media is the problem...and of course obama and eric holder were big factors in the peresecution of Zimmerman....they wanted to help lynch a innocent man in order to advance their agenda of black victimhood.

If you want to suggest adding politics or a racial component to the mix screws everything up, I am not going to argue with that.

It's a terrible law.

As was previously stated in this very thread, there's already standing laws for self-defense on the books.

Why add more laws on top of it?

Wrong.... the problem in the past was that before you could claim self defense, you had to prove that you could not escape.... the burden of evidence was on you, the victim. If the prosecutor could come up with any way you could have fled, from the comfort of his office weeks later, then you would be arrested no matter if it was lawful self defense...that is what people like you don't understand.

If only we can do something about the racial disparity of stand your ground defenses.....It should NOT be such a slam dunk when whites use stand your ground against blacks -- but an uphill battle when blacks use it against whites (1% success rate) - matter of fact, if you are white, you 300 times more likely to be justified in killing a black guy than another white guy...That's Awesome if you are into killing black guys.

Florida’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ Convictions Have Racial Bias | Institute for Public Health | Washington University in St. Louis
That's why I say it's a terrible law.

Because the law isn't the law, for blacks, if you get my meaning.

Just like how blacks get harsher sentences, for doing the same things whites do, we tend to get the brown end of the stick, if you get my meaning.

America has a lot of issues it's still grappling with, because they fail to be honest with their past, they can't recon with the present, and won't be able to recon w/their future, if you get my meaning.

Until things are equitable, it will remain a terrible law, basically a license for hicks and billys to shoot blacks and get away w/it.

Technically, it can be argued that there's "hoops" to all laws.

Part of being part of a society.

No?

Mainly the part where man thinks he can out maneuver himself with a law. The only way you close the holes is if you stop making exceptions, and debating what you may or may not think as being just.

I live in Florida and love that law.

Anyone breaking into my house will meet my shotgun up close and personal.

I will have no problem blowing off a head or two.

I guess you couldn't stand being embarrassed in just one thread so you started another one just to prove you are a racist asshole. Good job!

BTW, who are you a sock for?

I'll be hearing about you on the news.

LOLz!!!

Just like how blacks get harsher sentences, for doing the same things whites do, we tend to get the brown end of the stick, if you get my meaning.

America has a lot of issues it's still grappling with, because they fail to be honest with their past, they can't recon with the present, and won't be able to recon w/their future, if you get my meaning.

Until things are equitable, it will remain a terrible law, basically a license for hicks and billys to shoot blacks and get away w/it.

As long as people think it's okay for criminals to do what they shouldn't be doing, then what difference does it make the hicks and billys are doing the same thing?

As long as people think it's okay for criminals to do what they shouldn't be doing, then what difference does it make the hicks and billys are doing the same thing?

heheh exactly. Obviously she does not even understand what the law is. Being indoctrinated into believing blacks are always innocent...despite the fact that young black males comitt over half of all violent crimes in America including rape as well as murder and as previously documented blacks kill more whites than whites kill blacks even though blacks are a minority.

You had that before stand your ground or are you saying it was mandatory to do nothing while people broke into your house?

Forum List

Back