Is the stand your ground law, a good law?

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
Well to begin with let us examine exactly what the stand your ground law says.

'A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.'

I live in Florida and think it is a great law.

We have significantly reduced violent crime in the state and that is one of the factors.

If somebody threatens me I want to have the option to defend myself than to be required by the filthy government to try to run away like a little pussy.

If it's used correctly it's a great law. An individual should have the absolute right to defend themselves

Great law. I would consider that both a Constitutional Right and duty.

If it's used correctly it's a great law. An individual should have the absolute right to defend themselves

Well, of course we had the right to defend ourselves in Florida before the stand your ground statute was put in force. Yet what is happening in just about every case if not every case now where a white guy kills a black(very rarely happens anyhow...blacks kill most of the blacks killed) the media trots out the stand your ground law to use as a red herring like Florida law on self defense is just so different from all other states and that it is the stand your ground law that enables whites to kill blacks. Thus an attempt to demonize Florida and blame it when a negro gets killed by a white. Ridiculous.

Florida law on self defense is very similar to that of most states.

States That Have Stand Your Ground Laws - FindLaw

Well, of course we had the right to defend ourselves in Florida before the stand your ground statute was put in force. Yet what is happening in just about every case if not every case now where a white guy kills a black(very rarely happens anyhow...blacks kill most of the blacks killed) the media trots out the stand your ground law to use as a red herring like Florida law on self defense is just so different from all other states and that it is the stand your ground law that enables whites to kill blacks. Thus an attempt to demonize Florida and blame it when a negro gets killed by a white. Ridiculous.

Florida law on self defense is very similar to that of most states.

The media is bascially a bunch of assholes.

It's a terrible law.

As was previously stated in this very thread, there's already standing laws for self-defense on the books.

Why add more laws on top of it?

What do you mean by...'if its used correctly'

One's health and safety has to be in imminent danger.

What the law says is that one must be in 'reasonable fear of his life being

That was covered by the original law of self defense. All the stand your ground statute says is that one is not required to flee when attacked.

I live in Florida and think it is a great law.

We have significantly reduced violent crime in the state and that is one of the factors.

If somebody threatens me I want to have the option to defend myself than to be required by the filthy government to try to run away like a little pussy.
I want to defend myself as well -- but I won't physically fight someone, I will just shoot them -- besides, if I physically fight someone and I win, they will shoot me because I beat them up -- might as well skip the fight and just shoot em

What the law says is that one must be in 'reasonable fear of his life being

That was covered by the original law of self defense. All the stand your ground statute says is that one is not required to flee when attacked.

It's a good law. Helps when an individual is attacked and puts the thought in the back of the mind of an attacker they may very well get ventilated

It's not a matter of "good" or "bad."

The issue is whether the law is understood by law enforcement, the courts, and armed private citizens.

In many jurisdictions the law is still evolving, lacks comprehensive precedent, and is not being followed or applied consistently.

It's a terrible law.

As was previously stated in this very thread, there's already standing laws for self-defense on the books.

Why add more laws on top of it?

Why give people defending themselves more hoops to jump through?
What hoops?

Do I have to retreat?
Have I retreated enough?
Now that I've retreated am I allowed to defend myself?

It is quite simple...you are not required to retreat by law per the stand your ground statute.

Forum List

Back