Debate Now Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by EvilEyeFleegle, Nov 2, 2017.

1. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    You're welcome.

2. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Well..I disagree..threads like these serve the purpose of debate..that we might refine our views and come to consensus.
    We live in a majority rules nation..that being said..the founders put in many mechanisms to avoid the dangers of the 'tyranny of the majority'.

You're a bit off topic...but thank you for your input

3. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    I have some thoughts in mind to respond to your reply, but I'm going to think them through before posting them. It's not that they are so complex or anything, but rather than I just haven't given the questions much thought and I don't much care to post ideas I haven't thought about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    As best I can tell, all those are resolution approaches/outcomes that have been tried/observed. I'm not of the mind that any one of them alone can resolve the problem(s) advocates of each tack aim to overcome.

I don't think that dichotomy needs resolving. Also, I don't agree that the "ruling class," as you put it, tends right; were it so that it does, there wouldn't be Liberals who also hold political power and authority. To "tend" right, one must continually move in that direction; plenty of "ruling class" Liberals do not grow increasingly Conservative.

Almost certainly not.

When a polity, citizenry, ceases to change and do so in a timely-enough fashion, it, like species, ceases to exist. Too much too soon is every bit as ill fated as too little too late. The key to good governance/leadership is balancing those two extremes.

5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,882
    70-75% of black children have no father.

a well known fact and is not racism, unless you want to state that facts are racist.

keep your head in the sand

6. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Well..you did not state that...and you are border-line correct..depending on whose stats you like. But the reasons for the cited statistic..that's where you and I go our separate ways. To stay on topic...perhaps the cultural values of family will eventually win out..we shall see.

BTW..facts can be racist//it's all in the presentation. Your stat is a fact..if your contention is that that fact is an inevitable consequence of being black..that's racist.

7. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Hullo folks...I thought I'd revisit this debate...see where we are:

There is still some meat on this bone, I think.

Underneath the froth of our culture wars...inexorably...the gears are shifting--there is a serious test point in 2020. The US census and the inevitable reapportionment of voting districts. Here, the demographic influence may be most felt.

The biggest victory by the Right might arguably be the brilliant gerrymandering spearheaded by Karl Rove. That may be the only thing that has kept the Republicans going..especially on the State level. They beat the D's badly on that.

No surprises this time around....there will be a real battle to reverse and, as usual stack the deck the other way. If there is a marked shift to the D's in 2020...as I've contended before, I believe that this is the high-water mark for the Alt/right and those who affiliate with it, either in a political or a cultural context.

8. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Any comments here? I think this is as topical now as 6 months ago, eh?

9. sakinago

sakinago Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    I don’t understand, what does color have to do with anything? We’re the most mixed bag of apples the world has ever seen...by a long shot. People don’t come here because it’s a predominantly white nation, they come here because we have a set of ideas, and a government designed to protect individual rights. It turns out our crazy little experiment has worked far beyond anyone’s imagination. Not because of skin color, or what part of the world you come from, but because of the ideals that people should be free to set their own course and have the least amount of state barriers possible to do so. What’s up with bringing in color?

10. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,961
    Your reply seems a bit..ingenuous?

Race is probably the number 1 issue in America, in one form or another. Could I ask you to refine your argument a bit..more in line with the topic? I'd suggest a brisk read of the thread..some good stuff here.

Bolded: I think most come here for the money...our perceived ideals are nice..and I think they grow on our immigrants--but standard of living..and a chance at a better life for their children...tops the list of reasons..IMO.