Debate Now Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by EvilEyeFleegle, Nov 2, 2017.

1. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    The question:

As we move towards a "White Minority" country will our cultural paradigm shift significantly?

Or...will the prevailing mainstream culture prove strong enough to shape the new demographics to conform to the "old" values?

Is a non-white majority America still "America"?

Hmmm..rules:

Civility

Address the questions

Explain your point

2. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    My first shot--

The cultural paradigm of the country has always changed, sometimes gradually and sometimes quite quickly, i.e. ending slavery, westward movement, women voting, the railroad, the dust bowl, movement from farms to cities, industrialization, increasing number of states, the pill, smaller families, women working, etc,etc.etc. The creativity of the country has always involved change and adaptation, not clinging to and enforcing on others the "old" values. The Constitution has served us well throughout.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Meathead

Meathead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,903
    Assimilation will occur, although certain groups will continue to remain unassimilated, especially those that see themselves antithetical to mainstream American culture, preferring instead to retain what gives them a sense of identity although very much to their detriment.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. TroglocratsRdumb

TroglocratsRdumb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,574
    Well you can see what happens on small scale in neighborhoods, school districts, towns, cities and states.
    When the wagon gets too heavy to pull, it stops moving and poverty spreads.
    We can see what happens when the Corrupt Democrats get total power, they abuse it.
    The Left will kill our democracy and replace it with a left wing dictatorship.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Kinda off topic eh? Let me parse your response..You're saying that when minorities congregate..poverty follows? More to the point, when a neighborhood reaches a certain 'tipping point'--The mainstream cultural paradigm is lost and an alternate paradigm..of poverty, laziness and general malaise follow? Demonstrably untrue. Maybe at one time, when the 'ghettoization' of America was is full swing..but now there are countless affluent areas that are mixed..or even predominantly non-white.

I will point out..that as the Right never gets tired of reminding everybody..times are good right now...if the White share of the demographic is diminishing..and the economy is booming....what is the obvious conclusion? Hmmmm?

Forgive me for taking a shot..but since you opened the ball...The powerlessness of the Republicans while in power..reflects their out-moded ideology and their growing distance from what America is becoming..and they know it. They scramble to both placate the voters..and remain true to their philosophy. Thus all the twisting and turning.

6. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,660

In power but powerless.

Explain why that should NOT be considered the death of democracy and the possibility of peaceful change.

7. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Because it is a temporary state of affairs--and they are not 'powerless'..they have dis-empowered themselves..a subtle, yet important difference.

The Republicans wish to retain power..yet..the policies to do so..the popular policies..are contrary to their stated philosophy. Some remain true..some waffle..most are hunkering down..giving as little as possible..and hoping that gerrymandering will save the day.

To jump at least in the vicinity of the topic..this is a result of the changing demographic being reflected in the electorate..How far will it swing?

We tend to conflate our culture wars with our political ones--but they are not the same. I can be for Gay marriage, a woman's right to choose and a DACA path to citizenship--and still be a fiscal conservative who despises nation-building.

8. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,660

I don't see that being the process at work.

A conflict between policies and philosophy? That doesn't stop politicians from doing stuff.

It is not "Swinging". It is crashing in one direction and will keep going that way for the foreseeable future.

9. EvilEyeFleegle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Please expand on this. What, exactly leads you to come to this conclusion. In the context of the debate,of course.

I think that the conflict is existential, for politicians. They wish to be re-elected. For many, if not most, of them...trying to bend to the will of their constituency while at the same time staying true to core party principles, is proving very difficult. So yes..they dither. They factionalize--break into small groups--which they call caucusing. Congress grinds to a halt.

Which direction are we 'Crashing' in? Do you really think that a prolonged swing to the Right has any chance at all?

As the paradigm changes and becomes something new...I don't see a lot of room for the Alt/right..long-term. In fact, I'd propose that the alt/right exists as a result of the perceived change in our culture to a more diversified, read Non-white, nation. It is a reactionary movement...and the demographics will doom it. This is the high water mark..for the alt/right, IMO.

10. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,660

I agree. Demographic shift is undermining the two party system. The Republicans are unable to move policy the way they should despite holding all the cards.

This is their last chance to effect real change. After this, the nation devolves to an defacto one party state.