Is technology evil?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
What can be the worst punishment that you an imagine?

How about an eternity in a box?

Boxes are invented to keep things safe and secure. We have outsourced our security to technology.

You can escape from questioning by people even if it is the gestapo. But how do you escape open ended questions from a Computer?

And can that computer control your mind too? How about controlling your mind through your emotions? People used to call religion a mind control. But can it beat a computer in that?

Imagine, the bible says give Caesar what is Caesars. But what if you need to match the dexterity of a computer to figure a common sense feel of what is Caesars and what is not? Most governments pride themselves in using taxation to control your behavior. Can you live your life under continuous total control?

So, was the medieval Church right, to say that science and technology is best suppressed?

lol,

If you really believe this then become Amish and do us all a favor by giving up your computer, telephone, electricy and car and find a nice cave.

Is living in a cave or a tree evil is my question to you?

No, technology is not evil. The idea that something inanimate, something without a soul can be evil is just silly.

lol,

If you really believe this then become Amish and do us all a favor by giving up your computer, telephone, electricy and car and find a nice cave.

When Satan gives something to you, he makes sure you like it, or he can't reap his rewards from giving it to you. This is the first doctrine of evil. The second is that it doesn't exist.

Technology can only do what people program it to do. Its not alive hence there is no concept of evil or good. Its simply a tool like a gun or a hammer.

Okay, so to clarify the OP, has technology given unlimited power to evil people? For example, before technology, if you did something wrong, you were punished, then life went on. But with computers, you can be held in eternal punishment and you will never go on. That is the difference, that I wanted to point out about the evilness of technology.

lol,

No, technology is not evil. The idea that something inanimate, something without a soul can be evil is just silly.

I implied that the technology albeit not evil by itself, creates unlimited power of evil in the hands of powerful poeople, including elected officials. This is because when they decide to punish you, computers can make your punishment eternal, which was hard to make before the age of computers.

Technology can only do what people program it to do. Its not alive hence there is no concept of evil or good. Its simply a tool like a gun or a hammer.

Okay, so to clarify the OP, has technology given unlimited power to evil people? For example, before technology, if you did something wrong, you were punished, then life went on. But with computers, you can be held in eternal punishment and you will never go on. That is the difference, that I wanted to point out about the evilness of technology.
Its given more power to evil people. That doesnt mean its unlimited.

Not quite sure what you mean. Is your beef with evil people, computers, computer programs or all technology?

Not quite sure what you mean. Is your beef with evil people, computers, computer programs or all technology?

For example, for millennia, the easy example was taxation, and the principle was to give Caesar what is Ceasar's. Jesus adviced this and is in the bible. So if the coins don't have Ceasar's name/face, then it is not Ceasar's and you keep it.

But with computers, you pay tax worldwide, on every income that you earned in every currency, so you pay double, you give Ceasar even what is not Ceasar's.

Only computers can create and enforce this situation. So from the biblical standpoint, you have given yourself away to an unlimited machine that has the power to keep you as its slave, fitting easily the definition of evil, by the account of technology.

For example, for millennia, the easy example was taxation, and the principle was to give Caesar what is Ceasar's. Jesus adviced this and is in the bible. So if the coins don't have Ceasar's name/face, then it is not Ceasar's and you keep it.

But with computers, you pay tax worldwide, on every income that you earned in every currency, so you pay double, you give Ceasar even what is not Ceasar's.

Only computers can create and enforce this situation. So from the biblical standpoint, you have given yourself away to an unlimited machine that has the power to keep you as its slave, fitting easily the definition of evil, by the account of technology.
Not trying to be funny but it sounds like you dont like paying taxes and you are mad that transactions that prove you made income are digitally recorded?

Evil seems to manifest as some morally disparaging act that can only be attributed to humans.

That being said, one man can invent something for the betterment of all mankind but another man can take that invention and apply it towards evil purposes.

If I read your narrative correctly, it seems your concept of just what evil is, is flawed.

You've focused on technology and labeled it as a tool for evil men to control others. However, you've chosen a bad example to make your case. I don't see the word evil being applied to the scenario you described. The computerization and electronic storage of criminal records does make the record permanent; and, derogatory information can be retrieved at any time by anyone looking into your past. Adding to the fears of people with something to hide, many "sleuth" sites are selling that data to anyone willing to pay for it.

I can't classify that reality as an evil one, but for those who made mistakes in the past and want to try and make a fresh start.... you will always have the threat of having your past deeds come back to haunt you and be used by curmudgeons to destroy everything you've built up since your reformation.

Boxes are invented to keep things safe and secure. We have outsourced our security to technology.

You can escape from questioning by people even if it is the gestapo. But how do you escape open ended questions from a Computer?

And can that computer control your mind too? How about controlling your mind through your emotions? People used to call religion a mind control. But can it beat a computer in that?

Imagine, the bible says give Caesar what is Caesars. But what if you need to match the dexterity of a computer to figure a common sense feel of what is Caesars and what is not? Most governments pride themselves in using taxation to control your behavior. Can you live your life under continuous total control?

So, was the medieval Church right, to say that science and technology is best suppressed?
uhm, no

tech is a tool, tools can be used to do good, evil or anything in between.

But with computers, you can be held in eternal punishment and you will never go on.

That's what you get for using Vista.

windows-vista-ultimate-boxshot-57c76a3f3df78c71b6586fec.png

Not trying to be funny but it sounds like you dont like paying taxes and you are mad that transactions that prove you made income are digitally recorded?

Some people have enough money to write any law including tax laws. If they suddenly decided to tax your whatever too then you will cheerfully pay them and call everybody a dodge who wants to stop it. But taxation is only the widest example. Everything else could be used, and the government is not slowing down in taking control over more of your life.

uhm, no

tech is a tool, tools can be used to do good, evil or anything in between.

No because without tech, only God has omnipotence. With computers, every dirty little muggler gets omnipotence. And government's support this. So it is technology that tips the balance between good and evil. Technology activates evil people.

Some people have enough money to write any law including tax laws. If they suddenly decided to tax your whatever too then you will cheerfully pay them and call everybody a dodge who wants to stop it. But taxation is only the widest example. Everything else could be used, and the government is not slowing down in taking control over more of your life.
So what I was thinking is correct? You dont like paying taxes. Have you ever considered what your tax money is spent on? They already tax me and yes I cheerfully pay because I know that even if the system isnt perfect there are a lot of benefits others and myself receive when I pay my taxes.

Forum List

Back