Is S&M unethical?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
(though an ethics question, given the content I thought this would be the better venue than R&E)

Is deliberately inflicting pain on a willing partner unethical? Could argue it either way.

A partner who wants you to inflict pain on them isn't asking for "pain" which could be said to be something unpleasant and undesireable, so the masochist isn't asking for "pain" so much as a sensation some would call pain, but that they regard as pleasant. Or as I've always thought, painful but eventually pleasant as when it stops and the body produces feel-good chemicals to reduce the pain.

Pain is pain, and deliberately inflicting pain on even a willing partner is in fact unethical. Are other ways to reach the feel-good chemicals our bodies produce without resorting to the infliction of painful stimuli. Vigorous exercise for instance. And a sexual masochists' desire to be hurt as part of their enjoyment of sex isn't healthy but suggestive of some pathological need that cna only be met this way. They don't need a sexual sadist to perform this on them, but a good counsellor.

Thoughts, opinions?

It's an act on a sloping plane, it would require responsibility and respect I suppose. In one way it can be considered more ethical than ordinary sex since it requires a deeper level of understanding and under what terms the act is taking place.

As for the part of inflicting pain itself it's almost considered a virtue in many other cases (sports?)

It's an act on a sloping plane, it would require responsibility and respect I suppose. In one way it can be considered more ethical than ordinary sex since it requires a deeper level of understanding and under what terms the act is taking place.

As for the part of inflicting pain itself it's almost considered a virtue in many other cases (sports?)

Interesting points.

Forum List

Back