Is Russia a threat to Western Europa and the U.S.?

In the article “What kind of a country is modern Ukraine?” I have provided some examples that situation in the sphere of rights of ethnic minorities and in the sphere of freedom of speech in Ukraine has become worse as compared with the situation before the so-called Euromaidan.

That article has been discussed on Internet forums and some American users have written that it does not matter much for them what kind of a country is modern Ukraine. In their opinion, the main thing is that Ukraine is now fighting against Russia and therefore Western Europa and the U.S. must help Ukraine because Russia – as a variant “Russia under V. Putin” is allegedly a threat to Western Europa and the U.S.

And in this article, I am going to consider the question: Is Russia really a threat to Western Europa or the U.S.?

I believe that many people in the West don’t know what Russia is, they don’t know when V. Putin became the President of Russia etc. Therefore, at first I am going to tell basic information about some subjects.

Till the end of 1991 Russia was a part of the Soviet Union and became an independent state only in December 1991. V. Putin was elected as the President of Russia on 26 March 2000.

If Russia or “Russia under V. Putin” had been an aggressive state, the Russian borders would have moved westwards in the period between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013; but on the map above you can see the opposite - the Russian borders did not move westwards, it were NATO borders which moved towards Russia.

Between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013 Russian army conducted two military operations abroad. In 1992 – i.e. long before V. Putin - in Transnistria which had the population of 695.7 thousand at that time and in 2008 in South Ossetia which had the population of 51.6 thousand at that time.

In the same period, between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013, the U.S. together with its allies conducted seven military operations abroad.

1994 – in Bosnia and Herzegovina which had population between 3.4 and 4.4 mil at that time.

1999 - in Yugoslavia (population of 10.7 mil at that time)

2001 – in Afghanistan (population of 19.7 mil at that time)

2003 – in Iraq (population of appr. 23.5 mil at that time)

2011 – in Libya (population of 6.4 mil at that time)

You can see that both the number of military operations of the U.S. and particularly number of people, which were affected by these operations, were much higher than the respective values of Russian military operations.

If Russia or “Russia under V. Putin” had been an aggressive state, Russia would have conducted much more military operations abroad during the first 22 years of its existence or during the first 14 years after V. Putin had become the President of Russia in 2000.

As for events, which took place after the end of 2013, I would like to tell basic information about some subjects related to these events.

At the end of 2013, a protest movement, the so-called Euromaidan began in Ukraine and at some point, the pro-Western protesters began to burn and kill during this Euromaidan; however now nobody in Ukraine can explain why they had begun to burn and kill (please see this thread).

Therefore, the Russian Government decided to accept the Crimea into the Russian Federation in March 2014; please see the thread Was there a threat for ethnic Russians in February 2014 in Ukraine (Crimean question)?

And about further development of situation you can read in the thread Has the Russian Special Military Operation in Ukraine been provoked?

So, Russia was not a threat to Western Europe and the U.S. before 2014, and it is not a threat to them now. The present crisis is caused only by events in Ukraine and therefore it does matter very much what were the reasons of these events in Ukraine, what kind of a country is modern Ukraine, etc.

Source

P.S.
I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this thread is not about Ukraine – please see the thread title.
Therefore, if you wish to write about some aspects of situation in Ukraine, please do in the respective threads whose links you find below.

What have Ukrainians been fighting for since 2013?
Was there a threat for ethnic Russians in February 2014 in Ukraine (Crimeanquestion)?
Has the Russian Special Military Operation in Ukraine been provoked?
What kind of a country is modern Ukraine?
Nope

The Russian Art of War: How the West Led Ukraine to Defeat

January 1, 2024 Jacques Baud

We are very happy to bring you this excerpt from Colonel Jacques Baud’s latest book, The Russian Art of War: How the West Led Ukraine to Defeat (L’art de la guerre russe: Comment l’occident conduire l’ukraine a la echec). This is a detailed study of the two-year old conflict in which the West has brutally used the Ukrainians to pursue an old pipedream: the conquest of Russia.
The book is being translated into English, and we will update this page when it is published. In the meantime, we provide a generous excerpt, along with a detailed Table of Contents, to give you a taste of this very important and much-needed book.

sjsjjsjsjsjsjjsjsjsjs.jpg

Russia is a threat to the West as the West is to Russia.

NATO is not going away, and it will include Ukraine eventually.

Both sides need to negotiate better terms.

That's exactly why I'm against "nuclear sharing" with Europeans, and, specifically, with Germans. They are simply too stupid to possess such dangerous things. ...

What a luck that we are far too stupid to wipe out the whole planet without the knowledge we gave to the USA.

Foolish Hitler exported Ukrainian black soil to Germany, but the Americans were much more cunning. "Why export them when you can just re-title them?" - they thought. They thought and did it.
And then Putin shows up and wants to ruin everything.

In the article “What kind of a country is modern Ukraine?” I have provided some examples that situation in the sphere of rights of ethnic minorities and in the sphere of freedom of speech in Ukraine has become worse as compared with the situation before the so-called Euromaidan.

That article has been discussed on Internet forums and some American users have written that it does not matter much for them what kind of a country is modern Ukraine. In their opinion, the main thing is that Ukraine is now fighting against Russia and therefore Western Europa and the U.S. must help Ukraine because Russia – as a variant “Russia under V. Putin” is allegedly a threat to Western Europa and the U.S.

And in this article, I am going to consider the question: Is Russia really a threat to Western Europa or the U.S.?

I believe that many people in the West don’t know what Russia is, they don’t know when V. Putin became the President of Russia etc. Therefore, at first I am going to tell basic information about some subjects.

Till the end of 1991 Russia was a part of the Soviet Union and became an independent state only in December 1991. V. Putin was elected as the President of Russia on 26 March 2000.

If Russia or “Russia under V. Putin” had been an aggressive state, the Russian borders would have moved westwards in the period between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013; but on the map above you can see the opposite - the Russian borders did not move westwards, it were NATO borders which moved towards Russia.

Between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013 Russian army conducted two military operations abroad. In 1992 – i.e. long before V. Putin - in Transnistria which had the population of 695.7 thousand at that time and in 2008 in South Ossetia which had the population of 51.6 thousand at that time.

In the same period, between the end of 1991 and the end of 2013, the U.S. together with its allies conducted seven military operations abroad.

1994 – in Bosnia and Herzegovina which had population between 3.4 and 4.4 mil at that time.

You can see that both the number of military operations of the U.S. and particularly number of people, which were affected by these operations, were much higher than the respective values of Russian military operations.

If Russia or “Russia under V. Putin” had been an aggressive state, Russia would have conducted much more military operations abroad during the first 22 years of its existence or during the first 14 years after V. Putin had become the President of Russia in 2000.

As for events, which took place after the end of 2013, I would like to tell basic information about some subjects related to these events.

At the end of 2013, a protest movement, the so-called Euromaidan began in Ukraine and at some point, the pro-Western protesters began to burn and kill during this Euromaidan; however now nobody in Ukraine can explain why they had begun to burn and kill (please see this thread).

Therefore, the Russian Government decided to accept the Crimea into the Russian Federation in March 2014; please see the thread Was there a threat for ethnic Russians in February 2014 in Ukraine (Crimean question)?

And about further development of situation you can read in the thread Has the Russian Special Military Operation in Ukraine been provoked?

So, Russia was not a threat to Western Europe and the U.S. before 2014, and it is not a threat to them now. The present crisis is caused only by events in Ukraine and therefore it does matter very much what were the reasons of these events in Ukraine, what kind of a country is modern Ukraine, etc.

Source

P.S.
I would like to draw your attention to the fact that this thread is not about Ukraine – please see the thread title.
Therefore, if you wish to write about some aspects of situation in Ukraine, please do in the respective threads whose links you find below.

Was there a threat for ethnic Russians in February 2014 in Ukraine (Crimeanquestion)?
No.

The MIC and USG need a bogieman to keep THEIR gravy train rolling. So, they make the old adversary Russia and Putin the bogieman and stupid Americans believe them. Rinse and repeat. Works like a charm.

Many dumb Americans believe this claim…
…the claim always and everywhere has been that these foreign devils amount to incipient totalitarian monsters—the next Hitler or Stalin in the making. The presumption is that the likes of these two twentieth-century mutants are somehow embedded in the DNA of humankind. And unless resolutely and timely thwarted, each new tinpot tyrant who comes along will gobble up their neighbors in falling domino fashion until the economic and military might of their accumulated conquests threatens the security of the entire planet, including the fair lands in faraway North America.
-David Stockman.

Source

P.S.

it is a threat!

Then, since Mother Russia cannot fight a war with the West and not be destroyed, it better start negotiating in good faith.

The territory of Ukraine is in the sphere of Russia's interests. Not the United States, not the United Kingdom, not even Estonia, but Russia - for historical reasons known to all.
This is the way it was, this is the way it is, and this is the way it will be, even if someone behind the pond does not like it.

No west of Russia gives a crap what Russians want.

The West will dominate Russia and keep her east of Ukraine north of Turkey and out of the Baltic and Arctic.

Forum List

Back